Historically the Northumberland Fusiliers named a barn and a cluster of German blockhouses on the Passchendaele to Broodseinde road in Belgium 'Tyne Cottage' or 'Tyne Cot' because of their resemblance to cottages in their native Northumbria. The barn was captured by the 2nd Australian Division on 4 October 1917 during the advance on Passchendaele. Subsequently one of these pill-boxes was used as a dressing station and burials of the war dead were made close to the dressing station in what became Tyne Cot Cemetery.
It is now the largest British and Commonwealth war cemetery in the world. It contains the physical remains of 11,954 servicemen, of whom only 3,588 have been identified with the remaining 8,366 unidentified.
The cemetery also contains the Tyne Cot Memorial which is one of 4 Memorials containing the names of those who have no known resting place. The memorial at Tyne Cot holds the names of 34,888 soldiers whose remains have never been found