List of Intelligence Gathering Disciplines
| HOLY FUCK! THIS ARTICLE MAY CONTAIN SOME FACTS!|
REMAIN CALM AND CALL A SYSOP IN THE EVENT YOU FEEL FAINT.|
COMINT is Communications Intelligence.
ELINT is Electronic Intelligence and is gathered from non-communications electronic emissions.
FISINT is Foreign Instrumentation Signals Intelligence.
TELINT is Telemetry Intelligence and is the collection and analysis of telemetry data from the target's missile or sometimes from aircraft tests.
FININT is Financial Intelligence and is gathered from analysis of monetary transactions.
GEOINT is Geospatial Intelligence and is gathered from satellite, aerial photography, mapping/terrain data.
HUMINT is Human Intelligence and is gathered from a person on the ground in the following ways:
- Patrolling (Military police, patrols, etc);
- Strategic reconnaissance, as by Special Forces
- Military attaches
- Friendly accredited diplomats
- Prisoners of war (POW's) or detainees
- Traveler debriefing(e.g., CIA Domestic Contact Service)
- Non-governmental organizations (NGOs)
- Espionage These people are...unhinged.
IMINT is Imagery Intelligence (a subset of GEOINT) and is gathered from satellite and aerial photography.
|A typical MASINT collection|
MASINT is Measurement and Signature Intelligence. Essential but very dull.
- [Airborne]] Electro-Optical Missile Tracking MASINT
- Tactical Countermortar Sensors
- Infrared MASINT
- Airborne Electro-Optical Missile Tracking MASINT
- Optical Measurement of Nuclear Explosions
- LASER MASINT
- Spectroscopic MASINT
- Hyperspectral Imagery MASINT
- Space-based Staring Infrared Sensors
- Radiation survey and dosimetry
- Space-based Nuclear Energy Detection
- Effects of Ionizing Radiation on materials
- Weather and Sea Intelligence MASINT
- Acoustic MASINT
- Seismic MASINT
- Magnetic MASINT
- Gravitimetric MASINT
- Line-of-Sight Radar MASINT
- Synthetic aperture radar (SAR) and Inverse Synthetic Aperture Radar (ISAR) MASINT
- Non-Cooperative Target Recognition
- Multistatic Radar MASINT
- Passive Covert Radar
- Chemical Materials MASINT
- Biological Materials MASINT
- Nuclear test analysis
- Frequency Domain MASINT
- Electromagnetic Pulse MASINT
- Unintentional Radiation MASINT
MEDINT is Medical Intelligence and is gathered from analysis of medical records and/or actual physiological examinations to determine health and/or particular ailments/allergetic conditions for exploitation.
OSINT is Open Source Intelligence and is gathered from open sources, like newspapers and books. This term is rarely used in the real world, and is more usually referred to as just 'open source'.
RUMINT Is the most accurate yet most mysterious of all intelligence sources. It's free, requires no special technology yet travels at eye-watering speed, especially if it's a nice, juicy snippet about the RSM with that pretty blonde Cpl fresh out of Chicksands. Not that I'm saying anything about it, right?
GENINT is similar to RUMINT but an individual has at some point stated that it is GEN, thus adding to its credibility. Individuals describing RUMINT as GEN risk going further and stating that it is GEN EYEBROWS ROBOCOP MO MOWLEM for example. If the individual or INT is found to be inaccurate, the individual will then be required to remove their eyebrows, forehead hair then attempt to make themselves look like Mo Mowlem.
SIGINT is Signals Intelligence and is gathered from interception of signals.
URINT is the hunch (as in 'I feel it in my water') much beloved by G2(RO) staff.
VPBINT is Variable Programmable Beacon Intelligence and is gathered via telematics from static and dynamic (mobile) variable programmable intelligent beacons. I have no idea what this means.