The Boys Brigade was founded on the 4th October 1883 by Sir William Alexander Smith.
"The advancement of Christ's kingdom among Boys and the promotion of habits of Obedience, Reverence, Discipline, Self-respect and all that tends towards a true Christian manliness."
16th (Service) Battalion (2nd Glasgow)
Often known by its original title of the Glasgow Boys Brigade Battalion. It was formed in Glasgow on the 2 September 1914 by the Lord Provost and City, with many recruits coming from the Boys Brigade.
In May 1915 it was moved to Prees Heath and attached to 97th Brigade in 32nd Division. Once again moved in June 1915 to Wensleydale and on to Codford in August. The Boys Brigade was adopted by the War Office on 1 July 1915.
The Brigade landed at Boulogne on the 23 November 1915. On the 22nd Feburary 1918 they became the Pioneer Battalion.