A (The Chestnut Troop) Battery RHA
A Troop Royal Horse Artillery was formed on 1st February 1793 during the reign of George III. During the Netherlands campaign of 1799 the Troop was horsed with chestnut horses and was known as the 'Chestnut Troop'. At Waterloo, Lord Wellington referred to the Troop as the 'Chestnut Troop' and it was unofficially called this until 24th May 1902 when the name was officially recognised by His Majesty King Edward VII as A Battery (The Chestnut Troop) Royal Horse Artillery under the authority of the Army Order 135 of 1902.
The honour title given to the Chestnut Troop is unique in not being associated with any one particular incident or service. Apart from the Kings Troop RHA, it is the only Battery in the Royal Regiment of Artillery, which has the honour of bearing a title personally given by the Monarch and one which is officially recognised outside the Royal Regiment.
Since its formation, the Chestnut Troop has maintained an unbroken history of service up to the present time. The Chestnut Troop has seen service in the Long War with France, The Crimean War, India and the South African War. The Chestnut Troop fired its first round in World War I, at Givenchy on 20th December 1914. It took part in the Battle of the Somme and was continuously involved in trench warfare. In 1918 it took part in the general offensive that broke the Hindenburg Line. The Chestnut Troop fired its last round in WWI at Orrs on 4th November 1918.
Between the two World Wars, The Chestnut Troop served in Mesopotamia and Cairo before moving back home to Aldershot and then Bulford. They began World War II by supporting the retreat back to Dunkirk. In October 1940, having re-equipped, the Troop embarked for North Africa. The Troop, as part of 1st Regiment Royal Horse Artillery, came under the command of the 7th Armoured Division. It took part in the first Libyan Campaign, including the capture of Tobruk. They remained in Tobruk and was involved in the siege that lasted from April to December 1941. The Troop remained in Africa during 1942 and 1943 before moving to Taranto in Italy in May 1944. It remained in Italy until the end of the war.
Exercises and Operations During July to December 2000, the Battery deployed to Bosnia as part of the Pan Balkan Regiment. There it carried out framework operations and also the Artillery role in support of the Multi-National Division (South West). In July 2001, after converting from the AS90 to the Light Gun role, the Battery deployed to Canada to support the 1st Battalion the Royal Green Jackets Battle Group. The Year 2002 saw a month long infantry exercise in Cyprus during February and a successful six month rural tour of Kosovo, in the infantry role, attached to the Queens Royal Lancers Battlegroup.
Also known as Claggnuts, the Nuts, but more usually as Chestnuts!