3rd Regiment Royal Horse Artillery
Based in Hohne, in North West Germany since 1998, 3rd Regiment Royal Horse Artillery (3 RHA) is a Field Artillery Regiment equipped with one of the Army's newest and most technically advanced weapons systems - the 155mm AS90 self-propelled artillery gun.
The Regiment's current establishment of 3 gun batterys and a headquarters battery continues to provide levels of excellence in Artillery Support to 7 Armoured Brigade (The Desert Rats) and 1(UK) Armoured Division.
- C Battery RHA
- D Battery RHA
- J (Sidi Rezegh) Battery RHA
- N (The Eagle Troop) Battery RHA
- M Headquarters Battery RHA
- Workshops REME
A Brief History of 3rd Regiment Royal Horse Artillery
The Batteries of 3 RHA have existed since the Napoleonic Wars but the modern Regiment, 3rd Regiment Royal Horse Artillery, was formed at Abassia Barracks, Cairo on the 27th August 1938 from 3rd Brigade Royal Horse Artillery.
The Regiment consisted of two Batteries, D/J and M/P, later reformed as D, J and M Batterys.
Throughout the desert campaigns of 1939 - 1943 and the North West European campaign of 1944 - 1945 Regiment supported 7th Armoured Division, "The Desert Rats". During the first campaign at the battle of Sidi Rezegh on the 21st November 1941, 2Lt Ward's Gun was awarded the Victoria Cross posthumously for Conspicuous Gallantry, The Regiment commemorates this by wearing a red backing to the Cypher.
The regiment led the allied victory parade in Berlin in 1945, firing the victory salute. In 1958 C Battery joined the Regiment from 5th Heavy Regiment Royal Horse Artillery and M Battery was placed in suspended animation.
After the Second World War the Regiment served in the UK, Western Germany, Aden, Egypt, Kenya, Hong Kong and Cyprus. In 1975 M Battery was revived and in 1976 the Regiment completed its sixth tour in Northern Ireland. On 1st January 1978 at Devizes the Regiment was disbanded and the four Batterys became independent divisional anti-tank Batteries equipped with Swingfire.
The Regiment was reformed in Paderborn, West Germany, from C, D and J (Sidi Rezegh) Batteries on the 1st April 1984, and M Battery was once again placed in suspended animation. Since then the Regiment has completed tours of duty in Cyprus, Northern Ireland and Bosnia.
On the 1st November 1993 in Alanbrooke Barracks, Topcliffe, N Battery (The Eagle Troop) joined the Regiment from 2nd Regiment Royal Artillery and Headquarters Battery was amalgamated with reformed M Battery to form M Headquarters Battery.
In August 1998 the Regiment moved from Topcliffe to Hohne, Germany. After a short settling in period the Regiment, equipped with AS90 deployed on Operation PALATINE in Bosnia Herzegovina, the Regiment returned in July 1999.
In November 1999 N Battery (The Eagle Troop) left the Regiment and amalgamated with L Battery, 1st Regiment Royal Horse Artillery (1 RHA) who are currently located in Assaye Barracks, Tidworth, Hampshire.
The new millennium has proved to be a very busy time for the regiment with a six month operational tour of Bosnia and Kosovo from December 2000 to June 2001. The Regiment deployed to Iraq between March and July 2003 and returned from a six month United Nations tour of Cyprus in May 2004.
Back to The Royal Artillery.