1 (UK) Armoured Division
The majority of British forces in Nordrhein-Westfalen and Niedersachsen belong to the 1st (UK) Armoured Division. The Division has existed in the British Army since 1809 when the Duke of Wellington formed it, in Portugal, from two British brigades and one Hanoverian brigade of the King's German Legion. Therefore, since its inception in the 1800s the 1st (UK) Armoured Division has had strong links with this part of Germany.
The Division has been stationed in Germany since June 1960, as part of NATO, first in Verden an der Aller and since 1993 here in Herford. The 1st (UK) Armoured Division is now the only British division to be stationed in Germany, from a peak of 4 divisions during the height of the Cold War, though it is not the only element of the British Forces in Germany. The Support Command is based in Rheindahlen, (just outside Mönchengladbach), with some 3,600 personnel.