Jump to navigation Jump to search
The following major events took place in 1979:
- 28 March: Accident at Three Mile Island nuclear plant in US.
- 4 May: General election, Margaret Thatcher is appointed as Prime Minister after the election victory of the Conservative Party.
The following military events took place in 1979:
- 10 February: Iranian Army mutinies and joins Khomeini's revolution.
- 17 February: China invades Vietnam kicking off the Sino-Vietnamese War.
- 31 March: British military leaves Malta after 179 years of presence.
- 11 April: Tanzanian forces capture Kampala, Uganda, and Idi Amin flees.
- 8 June: The Royal Wessex Yeomanry granted its Royal title.
- 27 August: Lord Mountbatten murdered by IRA at Mullaghmore.
- 27 August: IRA murder 18 British soliders at Warrenpoint.