The British Military Open Encyclopedia - ARRSE-Pedia. Back to British Army Rumour Service Home
The following major events took place in 1974:
- 3 January: It Ain't Half Hot Mum premieres on BBC.
- 28 February: General election, dead heat, but Wilson becomes Prime Minister anyway.
- 6 April: ABBA wins the Eurovision Song Contest, providing Australian drag artists with a lifetime of work.
- 27 November: British government enacts the Prevention of Terrorism Act in response to murdering IRA bastards.
The following military events took place in 1974:
- 10 March: Japanese soldier Hiroo Onada surrenders in the Philippines after 29 years hiding in the jungle.
- 18 May: Operation Smiling Buddha, India explodes its first nuclear weapon.
- 17 July: IRA bombs Tower of London, murdering 1 and injuring 41.
- 20 July: Turkish troops invade Cyprus.
- 5 October: IRA plants bombs in 2 Guildford pubs, murdering 5 people and injuring 65.
- 7 November: IRA murders 2 in Woolwich pub bombing.