The ARRSEPedia is the British Army encyclopedia that anyone can edit.

150 Provost Company

From ARRSEpedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Catterick Company CMP was formed in 1936 and had a strength of a CSM, three Sgts, 5 Cpls, 29 LCpl and Ptes, 7 horses, 4 two seat cars and 21 motorcycles. At this time Catterick had the largest MT of any Military Police unit in the United Kingdom. The Coy was renamed HQ 150 Provost Coy CMP in 1941.

In 1950 detachments were opened in York and Harrogate and two years later, another in Newcastle Upon Tyne.

In 1955 three sections were deployed for three weeks on Op HOTFOOT to York, Carlisle and Newcastle railway stations during a national rail strike. In 1956 24 Independent Infantry Bde Pro Unit was attached to 150 Pro Coy CMP before moving to there own location in Barnard Castle.

In 1959 Harrogate Det closed down and the manpower was moved to York Det.

In 1960 150 Pro Coy CMP amalgamated with 152 Pro Coy CMP stationed at Nottingham and the new company was renamed again, this time as 150 (Northern Command) Pro Coy RMP. The unit then moved to more modern accommodation in Gaza Barracks, Catterick Garrison. In 1963 the company was employed amongst other things in instructing civilian police in route signing and motorcycle convoy duties as they were required to provide police mobile columns for civil defence duties.

In 1970 the units’ strength was considerably depleted as NCOs were deployed to Northern Ireland; however, the unit was augmented by Garrison Military Police.

In 1975 the unit moved to temporary accommodation in an old Sergeant’s Mess at the junction of Horne and Robertson Road whilst buildings were refurbished on Richmond road. Seven NCOs from the Australian Corps of Military Police also arrived with their families for a two year posting to Catterick.

departed in 1977 having completed their tour and as a parting gift presented the company with a specially commissioned painting of Sydney Harbour Bridge.

In 1977 5 Field Force Pro Unit RMP was formed to support to support HQ 5 FF based in Osnabruck, Germany and consisted of an HQ element and a Platoon from 150 Pro Coy RMP and a Platoon from 170 Pro Coy RMP. The Coy also moved to its new accommodation, Beachhead Lines, which it now occupies on Richmond Road.

In 1978 a two man GPD det was opened co-located with the SIB in Preston. In Jul of the same year 150 along with 170 Pro Coy RMP, 243(V) Pro Coy RMP and 252(V) Pro Coy RMP took part in a parade of over two hundred military policemen in a secluded Glen in the Kielder Forest, Northumberland. To commemorate the parade a wooden bridge over a stream that ran through the Glen marking the England/Scotland border was officially opened and named “Jumbos’ Folly” after Lt Col W Wood APM NE District.

On 1 April 2000 150 Pro Coy became one of three original Coy’s under the newly formed 3rd Regiment RMP, a Divisional Military Police Regiment under 3(UK) Division. It continued its role of direct support to 19th Lt Bde based in Catterick.

From Jun to Nov 2003 the Coy deployed to Iraq in support of 19 Bde on Op TELIC 2 and as of 01 Nov 2003, Edinburgh Det 150 Pro Coy 3 RMP was opened.

From Oct 2006 to May 2007, 69 personnel from the Coy deployed in support of 19 Lt Bde on Op TELIC 9. On 2 July 2007 the deployed element returned from leave and began BOWMAN training and conversion. This ended in Oct 2007 - the Coy is now fully BOWMANised.

On 31 Jul 2008, 150 Pro Coy will re-subordinate from 3 RMP and will be OPCOM 1 RMP. In addition, 150 Pro Coy will change its operational role and will provide close support to 4 Mech Bde.