ZX6R F3 (97) problem

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by spad, Jan 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning all,

quick question on the my ninja i have put some new down pipes on and have the carbs balanced and between 4-7k it coughs and splutters until the 7k mark where it does the 1 wheeled dance,

I got told that the ninja are know for not wanting anything other than orginal downpipes

does any one know if this is true or not, or any exprience with a similar problem,

cheers for any help

Spad

2. Its not just kwaks that suffer from aftermarket pipes being fitted , from experience its the quality of the pipework in terms of internal shape etc . A session on a rolling road and the carbs rejetted may work as if you've fit a full race system it plays hob with the mixture and runs the engines lean.

A mate of mine had exactly the same thing with some budget shite from e-bay for his Honda

3 sets of pipes from the same bloke before the bike ran proper

Hope this helps

3. does help mate thanks,

booked in on the rolling road, the garage who supplied and fitted said its an aftermarket thing,
    and a dynojet kit would sort it,

spoke to the rolling road guys and they said it was an aftermarket thing and a dyno kit would do nothing,

so im taking it up to see what they can do to refine it,

gutted! it was such a great bike certainly wont be going back to the original garage

4. People forget that when you start to play with exhausts on bikes, due to the high state of tune, you will get some issues.

If you compound that with a set of race pipes, then you will escalate those problems 10 fold...so flat spots, gurggles, backfires etc are possible.

BUT, the good news is, its dead easy to fix...and you are doing the correct thing....

.....rolling road, dyno kit, maybe new higher flow air filter (K&N/Pipercross) and you should be sorted :)

My CBR 6 runs with full titanium race pipes..£1800 worth..and it ran like a bag of nails before the above work..now its MENTAL...but smooooooooth.

5. Is it an original can or a race can ??

There may not be enough back pressure if its a race item as a lot of em are straight through with no lumps n bumps to give any semblence of back pressure. The rolling road bods ll know all this anyhoo.

I had 1 as a track bike ;cracking piece of kit just needed more stomp for my fat gut :D

6. its not meant to be a race system and has an arrow can, which was fine on the original pipes,
    I'll try the uprated air filter (as its cheap) and it feels like an over fuel problem so more air might help.

and just hope the rolling road will smooth it out fingers crossed,

Any other advise would be great and ill post back after the rolling road

7. Carbs you say? Remind me what they are... :p

8. its was the heart of the bike before electronics took over and made them machines,

not a living breathing feeling machine, just machines :lol:

my car is injected and is the same old every day of the week!!

my bike has life and has its good .... and some times bad days if i dont give it the love and affection it deserves

belive it or not i do even have a bird, dont know why cause i always tell her

dog
    bike
    bird

:lol:

9. Use plenty of additive to the fuel then or you get carb freeze

Kwaks are notorious for that :D

10. Replacement pipes...what make are they?

I used Micron downpipes on my track bike (ZXR 400)...they had a bigger bore than standard and thus I had to rejet, even though I was using the same end can as before :)

Some pipes come with a balancer pipe (pipe fitted between downpipes) to allow pressure to be equally dissipated...that can make a difference.

Lastly, some say going from steel to stainless or Titanium can also make a difference due to different warm up characteristics...but I find that one hard to see..might have tiny affects though.

The Dyno boys will sort you toot sweet!

11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I never managed to fit aftermarket full systems on any carb'ed bike without upgrading the airfilter/box, and fitting a dynojet kit set up on a rolling road.

A stage one kit should give you +5% over the standard output, smooth things a bit, and will resolve any fuelling glitches due to either your new parts, or noise/emission dips that were designed in.

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/2159.pdf

12. As a general rule if you change the pipes or the air filter you need to rejet. You may not realise you need to rejet if the difference is not great but trust me - you do. Chances are that if you have added parts that are supposed to improve performance (as opposed to just look different, in which case all bets are off) you now run lean and need (as a minimum) a bigger main jet. Balancing the carbs is not the same as re-jetting them.

13. heres the dyno results

Attached Files:

14. Hmm, little more air on #2?

15. fixed,

quick off the mark today arent we