Zulu War Expert Murdered

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by shaka, Jan 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-2570056,00.html

David Rattray would be known to many soldiers for his battlefield tours and UK lectures on the Zulu Wars.I was lucky to visit the Battlefields in 1999 with a party from my Regt.Fantastic tour lovely people, a sad loss he seemed a very nice bloke.

2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Damn....he did an amazing tour....

3. Lost for words.

Another fine man gone.

4. I have never met him but had read about his amazing lectures and tours. I hope that the perpetrators are caught quickly and justice done.

Rest In Peace.

5. RIP. The lectures were fantastic - to see the lecture theatre of the Royal Geographic Society in total silence and rapt attention was testament to both a great historian and a superb storyteller - very sad not to have done the tour. There is mention of a new book with the pictures of WW Lloyd coming out; the pictures are a great view of the British Army on campaign at the time - Lloyd was an officer in 24th of Foot but wasn't at the key battles. I have a book with some of the pictures in it - David told me after one of his lectures that they were the tame ones - more graphic pictures of bodies on the veldt were considered too explicit for 19th century audiences. If you can borrow/buy the CD/tapes of his lectures, do - they can be found at www.fugitivesdrift.com (no, I have no connection!)

6. Lucky enough to see him lecture about 10 times. Every time it was teh same. A middle aged man with a couple of slides and nothign else told you a great story, I can still remember the anecdotes he'd litter them with about the men who were there and anyone who ever saw him talk about Durnfords last stand at Isandlwana will agree that the world is now a much poorer place.

J

7. Daily Telegraph obit - seems from every view-point he was a really good guy. Hope the toe-rags that did this are given the rope.

8. Shocking but sadly not surprising (to those who know where his family live). David’s lectures were captivating. I don’t think that it has been mentioned yet that many of the lectures that he delivered were charity events to benefit the Army Benevolent Fund. A sad loss.

9. A sad loss, and completely pointless.

10. Stayed at FD with 7Bde back in 96. Then went to see him speak at ABF events at Nottingham Uni and the Clifton School Bristol.

Totally captivated his audience, from those who knew lots to those who had no idea about Zulu War. Took my then new girlfriend to Bristol, she new nothing aboyt Zulu's etc, but sat totallly entralled thorugh-out the talk.
    Great man and terrible sad loss. The world is a lesser place following his passing.