Zulu v BHD

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by PandaLOVE, Jul 14, 2008.

?
  1. Zulu

91.8%
  2. Black Hawk Down

8.2%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Finally my gung-ho son persuaded me to watch Black Hawk Down. Surprisingly I enjoyed it though nothing gets my wind up more than watching some good old fashioned black and white Jerry bashing.

I'd be interested to know what any of our patriotic American ARRSE users think of our original Zulu? (Maybe even Zulu Dawn).

I'm not assuming it a foregone conclusion that all Brits' will favour Zulu, many might not have seen it or find the GTA4 pace of BHD more to their liking.

O2T

2. I've not voted, as I like both of them a great deal. It's hard to compare the 2 films, as they don't have a great deal in common. One's Brits in the Boer war with not much going for them but some balls. BHD is the Yanks at the battle of Mogadishu with more up to date equipment.

The only similar things they possess is that they are based on real events.

Both worth a watch on a sunday afternoon.

3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

So which bridge movie? Remegen or Arnhem...

4. Bridges of Madison County :muhaha:

5. [pedantic mode=on]So thats the Zulus they fought in the Boer war then ? So which war was it we fought the Boers in then ?[/pedantic]

I know a guy who was near Mogadishu when that happened, he paints a very different picture than the film did, but thats the beauty of film, men of harlich and all that

6. Building a bridge to my heart ?

whooa whooa ahh

Yes I know it not a film

7. Yes.......the Boer war.......I don't get your point?

8. If every Sapper on ARRSE voted then it will go in favour of ZULU, brings back good and not so good memories of running down to the Jackson Club (Is this still going at Gib?) from the combat engineer training area, where one of the Instructors would play a few minutes of ZULU, meanwhile everyone trying desperately to get a brew and a pie or mars bar within the alloted 10 minutes 'NAAFI Break'! before being run back to the training area, where we would then be questioned on the 10 minutes of ZULU that was played in the Jackson... Suffice to say many Press Ups, Bastards and Run Arounds were carried out in the half hour after NAAFI!!!

Fun Days...

ZULU Everytime :wink:

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Interesting, I know two guys that know two guys who were there that said it was exactly like the movie. I accept my 'distance' and chinese whispers but...

for every opinion, there is a counter..

10. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Boer War 1880-1881 and 1899-1902.

Zulu uprising 1879. First the french, then fuzzy wuzzies, then the Dutch, then the germans.

Its like history innit.

11. I sit corrected....I thought the 2 just coincided :(

12. A septic colleague who is returning Stateside as I type tells me that they were shown the film Zulu to indicate what being officer material was all about - he loves the film and makes his 13 year old son watch it as well :twisted: Thats Virginians for you!

13. Zulu, but only by a narrow margin.
    BHD is an excellent movie but Zulu is British so wins.
    Its a shame we aren't still making movies of that ilk, it may help a little with the issue of national pride in Britain.

14. :twisted: How about ZULU with BHD weapons ?? sweet

Zulu is a classic and i wil be digging out my old video of it

Bhd is one of my all time favourites :twisted: