Zoot suit?

Years ago I remember my father ex para 70's era mentioning the term Zoot Suit.

I am watching " A touch of Frost " and a shop called " zoot suit " is central to the programme.

I thought I better check out its meaning.

wiki ZOOT SUIT

Do any of the senior members remember this term?

FaceLikeAPingPongBall said:
Zoot suit, great bit of kit, made out of para nylon, tops used to be standard civie dress mit maron t-shirt and desert wellies, Aldershot circa 1984 onwards!
I remember those civvy-tops bits well. Bisley used to be awash with them for the services meeting, until the sun came out and layers were shed.

And I remember the anti-SA80 T-shirts from about the same time. Made a v. good point, too - until some general had a SOH bypass and banned them.

caubeen said:
Zoot suit, great bit of kit, made out of para nylon, tops used to be standard civie dress mit maron t-shirt and desert wellies, Aldershot circa 1984 onwards!
I remember those civvy-tops bits well. Bisley used to be awash with them for the services meeting, until the sun came out and layers were shed.

And I remember the anti-SA80 T-shirts from about the same time. Made a v. good point, too - until some general had a SOH bypass and banned them.
You knew a local tart was a mong then when you're in a zoot top and Ron Hills in the Wellington Centre and she asks you "What job you do"!

Got one off a mate who aquired a parachute and got his mum to make some up wouldn't wear down the pub except for a bet but ideal running top etc.

Are they still about? I fancy some 80s retro 'squaddie in civies gear'!!!
I'll pass on the zoot top - but if you stumble across one of those SA80 T-shirts I'd be glad of one. Collectors' item these days, I suppose.

A pair of trousers and a long sleeved T-shirt made from parachute nylon or (ideally) pertex. Windproof, quick-drying and comfortable was the idea. Never even seen one in the nylon myself - Survival Aids made them but how much?!?!

Probably a very useful item.

The darzi used to make them in FARELF in the 1960s during the Borneo campaign great for taking on patrol as spare (dry) kit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
This Tribe Military Clothing & Boots 17
oldcolt Classified Ads 0
Tango34_UK Weapons, Equipment & Rations 33