'Zonamilitar' Argentine military website

Discussion in 'Falkland Islands (Op CORPORATE)' started by WALL!!!!, Mar 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I've been a frequent lurker on the Argentine military website 'Zonamilitar' for a good many years now, exclusively for the excellent 'Malvinas guerre' thread that contains some really superb unpublished official and unseen personal photographs of the Falklands conflict. The bulk of the contributors (Argentinian, including some war veterans) give a pretty balanced view of the conflict, offset by some junior members using the forum as a springboard for jingoist rhetoric and 'historical revisionism' but hey-ho, that's life...

Anyway, my reason for posting is because this particular website appears to have vanished into the (digital) ether, all attempts to connect are met with 'cannot be found' and any attempts to locate it are similarly rebuffed. I'm an IT luddite admittedly but the overnight disappearance of a long established and well subscribed website seems totally baffling to me, and as a frequent visitor over the years I definately miss it as part of my browsing routine.

Incidentley, ARRSER and 3 PARA Falklands veteran 'JimmyOC' has been a fairly regular poster on the site, providing a wealth of facts and first hand annecdotes about his experiences during the campaign and if he reads this I'd be interested to know if he or any ARRSEr's are any wiser about whats happened to 'Zonamilitar'.

PS- Mods. if this in the wrong section please re-direct, it's all down to my digital biff-ness, ta.

Yours baffled, WALL!!!!
  2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

could be the site has been taken down. one thing I read was the host ip is columbian with the address pointing to BA.

maybe nigella is cutting off any dissent to the party line on the islands with the referendum thing due.
  3. Thanks for your reply Grumblegrunt, It did strike me that the reason the site's down could be down to political sabre rattling.
  4. Grumblegrunt

the veterans protest daily for a pension and other things while she is bleating on to distract from the ruinous way the country is going while cash is flowing out of the country in uraguayan banks.

I read a good response on a defense site from an argentinian who said that the best thing would be a leader who campaigned to forget all about any claim

Argentina's claim to the Falklands is based on proximity only.The British first claimed the Falklands in 1765 - Argentina did not inherit them from Spain.
    The Argentine hero Vernet obtained permission from the British to set up a seal business on the islands but was later made governor by the Argentine's - an illegal act.
    In 1833 the British asked Vernet's garrison to leave the Falklands but the majority of the settlers (some Argentine's) decided to stay. Only 5 settlers chose to return to present day Argentina and they had only been on the Falklands a few weeks - this forms the basis of the Argentine claim.
    In 1850 Britain and Argentina signed a peace treaty known as 'the Convention of Settlement' The purpose of the treaty was to 'restore relationships between the two nations' and to 'settle ANY outstanding differences'. Although the treaty does not specifically mention the Falklands it is a principle in law that in a peace treaty any matter not mentioned is fixed in the state in which the treaty was signed. Argentina had protested about the British presence on the Falklands right up to 1849 but did not make another sovereignty protest until 1941 - under international law sovereignty protests are usually considered defunct if there is a gap of 50 years or more between sovereignty protests.
    The Secretary General of the UN spoke to a reporter from the Argentine newspaper Tiempo Argentino on 12th November 2012. Ban Ki-Moon said, 'I don't think Security Council Members are violating 'relavant' UN resolutions. The impression is that people who are living under certain conditions should have access to certain level of capacities so that they can decide on their own future. And that is the main criteria of the main UN bodies. Having independence or having some kind of government in their territories.'
    The World cannot go back to its 1833 borders. The Falkland Islanders do not wish to become part of an Argentine Colony just like the people of the Canary Islands do not wish to become part of Morocco.

• Like Like x 1
  5. That's interesting. It's quite rare to find published views of 'evenly ballanced' or 'moderate' Argentinians with regards to the Falklands issue.

An Argentine barman in one of my local pubs in Oxford has told me that the younger generation 'couldn't really give a **** about somewhere we've never lived and has a worse climate than England', it appears that the vocal ones get all the press coverage but are equivalent to the Argentinian Daily Mail readership. He's studying history at Christchurch college.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Grumblegrunt

newsnight earlier this week had a feature with public contributions in BA. one honest lad said something like 'in a 100 years the falklands will be the malvinas, but only is we stop shouting at them and start proving that we want them to be part of argentina'
  7. 100 years could be realistic, certainly not in our lifetime!

I'm still curious if it was a political decision to take down the Zonamilitar website, seems extraordinarily heavy handed if so.
  8. Grumblegrunt

not when you look at what she is doing to the 'free' press to stifle contradiction.
  9. There was me thinking they'd become a forward thinking liberal nation until late. It would appear they've back-pedalled since President Alfonso put them back on a fairly even keel a few years ago. Got to feel a bit sorry for the few Argentinians I've met in recent times as they've been served by some diabolical sh1thouses.
  10. In that case we seem to have a lot more in common with the Argies than I thought. Solidarity brothers, and sisters :)
    • Like Like x 3
  11. It's not working from Spain either
  12. I've lost a site too, but I am not sure where it is hosted... I'll hve to look it up.

However, only the front end is down, favourites take me to pages and i can navigate around, providing I don't go to the Home page.

Try that.
  13. It's back up , it was a maintenance issue .......

Zona Militar
  14. A while back I spent a bit of time on that site and found that while most of the lads wanted a balanced point of view there were still a couple of issues they couldn't accept.
    One was that they didn't hit our carrier, the other was a huge debate about how many men we really lost, not our official figures you know, the real ones, the ones we kept under the hat. Quite a few couldn't accept that we weren't lying or covering up.

Made a couple of internet friends on there, one who had made a detailed study of Goose Green which was fascinating to read.

I do know a couple of Argies over here and they are keen to get away from the confrontation side, including one who was a conscript on the Islands during the conflict and he still has major issues, just not with us.
  15. Grumblegrunt

I ran a bowling alley for a while and we set up a laserquest arena in a big part of it. coincidentally the depot lads turned up the same time as some argie exchange students who proceeded to hand them their arses on a plate.

it was amusing to watch and no animosity just a sense of fun.