Zimbabwean reunited with his family

P

pp0470

BBC News - Family reunited in Manchester after seven years

A man who fled to the UK from Zimbabwe has been reunited with his family, seven years after he last saw them.

He said he had to leave Zimbabwe when he became a target for refusing to take part in a political rally.

He was given refugee status in 2009 which meant his family was allowed to join him in the UK.

But he said he was concerned about family members who were still in Zimbabwe - including his parents and younger brothers.

He said the Red Cross had been instrumental in helping the family to be reunited.
I love my country!

Stories like this bring a tear to my eye...

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Safer than Manchester
Bit harsh. One's a third world hell-hole with appalling levels of poverty and violence and the other's.....

Ach, finish it yourselves.

S

stabradop

Zimbabwe isn't, but Bosnia is, yet we still have loads of Bosnian "refugees" in the UK.
I did 8 and a bit years in immigration from '93 to '02. Once a person has been granted refugee status (was 4 years but now indefinite leave) they don't have to go back unless they choose to. If a person chooses to return then they surrender their refugee status and Travel Document and get documented by their own authorities. Bearing in mind there is a difference between an asylum seeker and a refugee. A refugee is someone who as been recognised as such under the terms of the 1951 UN Convention relating to the status of refugees. Sadly when that document was signed the world was a different place/

Stories like this bring a tear to my eye...[/QUOTE]

Mine too it means I'll be paying more effing tax to keep the poor refugee and his "cough" family. And Zimbabwe is stable, the last time I looked on a map it hadn't moved at all.

I did 8 and a bit years in immigration from '93 to '02. Once a person has been granted refugee status (was 4 years but now indefinite leave) they don't have to go back unless they choose to. If a person chooses to return then they surrender their refugee status and Travel Document and get documented by their own authorities. Bearing in mind there is a difference between an asylum seeker and a refugee. A refugee is someone who as been recognised as such under the terms of the 1951 UN Convention relating to the status of refugees. Sadly when that document was signed the world was a different place/
That is bad news, so we will now have loads of refugees from the upset arab lands filling the country and never going back to their happy lands. Maybe since Cameron is dedicated to protecting civilians of Libya and creating a nice place for them to live (an islamic land) he can go about trying to change that document so we are protected from hordes of refugees entering and staying in the country.

S

stabradop

That is bad news, so we will now have loads of refugees from the upset arab lands filling the country and never going back to their happy lands. Maybe since Cameron is dedicated to protecting civilians of Libya and creating a nice place for them to live (an islamic land) he can go about trying to change that document so we are protected from hordes of refugees entering and staying in the country.
Agree totally.

Nice one a one bed council flat and red cross will support him I wounder if he is getting benafits as well?
So how long before all the Arabs start asking for refugee status?

Perhaps we should beware of Greeks bearing suitcases now since they don't seem to want to pay for their services.

"now she faces her nightmare of being deported back to Zimbabwe"

She faces being sent ******* home! Where she rightly belongs. Scrounging ****.

She, and the rest of her scrounging family, won her appeal to remain back in May, according to Teh Grauniad.

A loaf of bread is probably more than they can afford back home.I lived there for nineteen years and I can honestly say Zimbabwe is not stable but then again I have rights to be here they have not...I didn't vote that current government into power they did so let them go back and deal with a dictator they put into power. Pricks like them make it difficult for people like me who have a birthright to be in the uk. The misconception is that all foreigners get everything free here in the uk where in fact personally I get no public funds regardless of my situation.but they milk the system and make everyone react as the previous posters do and I myself agree.