Zimbabwe-what future?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by muhandis89, Apr 26, 2008.

?
  1. No problems-A haven of political stability

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. With the present Government,there is no future

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. An example to the rest of Africa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Where does Zimbabwe go now,with Mugabe-apparently-still in the driving seat?

2. Who cares? Its not our problem. Let the rest of Africa sort it out.

3. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7369072.stm

4. So if the ZANU-PF has not won the re-count,what excuse will Mugabe use to cling on to power now.Another re-count,more arrests and killings?.

Zimbabwe,once the breadbasket of southern Africa,now a total basket case.And the Left would blame Britain for this.

5. Sure. :scratch:

Meanwhile:

6. Seconded. They wanted independance and black majority rule. They made thier bed, let them lie in it.

Every man, woman and child in Africa is not worth the life of one British soldier.

Anyway, Rhodesia does'nt have enough oil to be worth fighting for! :twisted:

7. Mugabe would be a good candidate for targeted assassination though.

8. chingwa chodhuura

Cash crisis returns as loaf of bread hits Z$100 million-dollar mark

By Tichaona Sibanda
    24 April 2008

Cash shortages and queues are back once again, as the dithering over the presidential result shows little sign of ending. In the meantime the economy continues to flounder, without a leader to take stock of what needs to be done.

Our Harare correspondent Tagu Mukwenyani said the cash crisis has come back to haunt the country because of the massive inflation, despite the Reserve Bank introducing a Z$50 million denomination note in February. In the last week, the price for a loaf of bread has jumped from Z$65 to Z$100 million, while one egg now costs Z$20 million.

‘These are the consequences of a power vacuum currently prevailing in the country. This was the last thing the country needed in an economy whose inflation is hovering above 165,000 percent,’ Mukwenyani said.

In the capital Harare , some banks are reported to be running out of cash whilst some are only allowing clients to withdraw Z$30 million per day. People are reportedly spending five to six hours in bank queues – sometimes more.
    The country’s economy has been in free-fall over the last decade. At least 80 percent of the population is living below the poverty line and an estimated three million people have fled into South Africa .

The government has done nothing to deal with these crises, which have been worsened by Mugabe’s refusal to relinquish power, despite his electoral defeat to the MDC. Mukwenyani believes the regime is currently trying to buy time in preparation for a presidential run-off: ‘It’s shocking that the presidential results are still not out three weeks after the elections, but political analysts believe the regime has tried but failed to change the outcome of the poll,’ Mukwenyani said.

9. Ehh... do we have a Commonwealth or do we not? :x

10. Well the place has already gone down the toilet, the flush was pulled when Mugabe first got in power so by now it's well past the u-bend..... so the future lies in the main sewer now?

So much for independance and black majority rule. Not exactly worked out very well has it? The neighbours arent exactly doing very well either....

11. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Well Zimbabwe may not have oil, but it used to be called the bread basket of southern africa. And currently you can't turn on the news without another report about massive inflantion world wide caused by greater demand for food of all kinds.

Would things be much better under the MDC? Call me cynical but I doubt it. However they certainly can't do a WORSE job and the sooner the near senile old fart is out of office the better.

12. I was under the impression Zimbabwe was no longer in the commonwealth and even if it was they wanted an end to British rule they got it so now they sort it or should the British sort out everyones problems for them.

13. I read that Britain is going to request the UN send their soldiers (if this is the right term for it) to Zimbabwe to sort everything out. I hope it doesn't come to it but I can see Britain getting involved and sending in troops to help and we're already too stretched as it is.

I get theyve made their bed and now have to lie in it but everyone deserves democracy and its not the citizens fault their dictatorship government is corrupt and has stooped to new lows. Who steals children to win an election?

14. The thing to really look out for is how much aid is going to be given to Zimbabwe if that Morgan guy gets to be president.

Logic dictates that the distribution of aid be scrutinized and made conditional on certain terms; however, I think the idealists in parliament might drop the ball on this one in their haste to support democracy.

William Hague talked about getting aid ready so that the country can be helped once Mugabe goes. He did not talk about any kind of measures to stop corruption...

15. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Well no. Given that he is a politician he may have been called on it by the red tops...