Zimbabwe army on manoeuvres?

Just heard a news bulletin in which they played a broadcast from Zim' whereby a spokesman for the army (the General himself) has announced that it's not a coup and that Bob and Grace are under army protection whilst the army roots out "criminal elements" opposed to the regime.

Of course, that could just be a smokescreen to keep the loyalists in the police and military calm and not interfering...

Edited to add: soundbite of opposition chap just heard, claiming it is laughable that it is not a coup as "the army is clearly now in control of the country."

Last edited:
Current bulletin has just played Chimunga (?) on ZBC announcing that "the army has been ordered back to barracks."

Presumably that is except the trusted units that marched on the capital last night (i.e. it's actually a coup)...?

While few ruling despots more richly deserve to be ousted, I hope poor, benighted Zim has someone deserving and ready to step up. Though as other posters in this thread have noted, chances are the circumstances of Mr and Mrs Stringbag will remain dire. Such a rum outcome for so much of post-colonial and majority rule Africa.

Poor buggers.

Current bulletin has just played Chimunga (?) on ZBC announcing that "the army has been ordered back to barracks."

Presumably that is except the trusted units that marched on the capital last night (i.e. it's actually a coup)...?
I read that as part of a longer sentence which seemed to indicate a recall to barracks from leave, etc?
From BBC (quoting Army statement):
  • All leave for the defence forces is cancelled and personnel should return to barracks immediately

I read that as part of a longer sentence which seemed to indicate a recall to barracks from leave, etc?
From BBC (quoting Army statement):
  • All leave for the defence forces is cancelled and personnel should return to barracks immediately
Maybe. I only had half an ear on it whilst doing other things, so...

Have just definitely heard that it is now being called "a bloodless take-over," with Bob and Grace "in custody."

As much as I think that any form of sexual assault is a despicable crime, and acknowledging that this is in CA, I can't help but find that a tiny, foul, evil and otherwise successfully suppressed part of me is hoping that Grace's demise involves being forcibly serviced by most, if not all of, the Zim' armed forces, a fair few of whom will between them doubtless be carrying the full range of unfortunate social diseases from chlamydia through to HIV.

I suspect that I have thus more than adequately conveyed my opinion of the wicked witch.

.......obvious solution to Zim's problems seem to be kick the 'war-veterans' off the land, invite the whites back, apologise for forty-odd years of Marxist ****-whittery and murder............

A NEO might be before any PKOs or Humanitarian Aid Ops. Govt website has updated its info:
Zimbabwe travel advice - GOV.UK
indeed - although quite an easy place to NEO from; lots of safe options for nearest POS and I anticipate that the FCO will issue travel advice change today to start to move EPs. Interesting, the DOS have a different view on NEOs from us, once they've issued travel advice, if an EP choses to remain they get billed proportionately for being evacuated. It was something like $2000 per person for a C17 ride to Ramstein from Libya in 2014!

Christ! Not a lot of optimism coming out of the radio at the moment. Seems any likely new regime will be as bad as, if not worse, than the outgoing one!

Maybe. I only had half an ear on it whilst doing other things, so...

Have just definitely heard that it is now being called "a bloodless take-over," with Bob and Grace "in custody."

Bastards. Couldn't they have done it 6 months ago before I was banned from necking a bottle of champagne.....

Zimbabwe army launches takeover against 'criminals' around Mugabe, says president 'safe'
Reuters article pretty much going with previous comments. What I did find interesting is the below, Manangagwe wanting a return of the white farmers and building relations with the IMF, World Bank etc
According to a trove of intelligence documents reviewed by Reuters this year, Mnangagwa has been planning to revitalize the economy by bringing back thousands of white farmers kicked off their land nearly two decades ago and patching up relations with the likes of the World Bank and IMF.

Christ! Not a lot of optimism coming out of the radio at the moment. Seems any likely new regime will be as bad as, if not worse, than the outgoing one!
It's Africa, do you expect anything else?

Not really. Bunch of corrupt scheming absolute savages at the top, bunch of savages at the bottom.

In my experience...
Edited to suit reality, for the ones at the top control the rest and they could stop the savagery rather than encourage it if they wanted to

I laughed at the pics of the Mugabe sons pouring champagne over their rolexes...
I'm sure the general population wasn't laughing.

You'd be surprised. In African culture it's seen by many as the right of the Grande Fromage to dip into the gravy trough for his own benefit and that of cronies and family.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Zimbabwe army launches takeover against 'criminals' around Mugabe, says president 'safe'
Reuters article pretty much going with previous comments. What I did find interesting is the below, Manangagwe wanting a return of the white farmers and building relations with the IMF, World Bank etc
Having staged the coup, Mugabe is toast. No matter how 'safe' he is at the moment, the Army can't afford to release him, because he (or more specifically Grace) will try and stage a counter-coup. Nor will Mugabe and wife be allowed to go into exile for the same reason - they'll try and rally support from outside of the country.

I suspect Uncle Bob is about to suffer an incapacitating stroke and Grace will die from grief.

Wordsmith