Zimbabwe and Mugabe

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Brucefeller, Apr 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe used his Independence Day speech to promise tough action against his opponents.
    He also reiterated plans for greater state control over the mining industry."

In fact, he stated that all mining concerns in the country would become 51% owned by the state, a brilliant plan which has been testing the nerve of many a finance director in the last few months since the idiot Mining and Minerals Minister blurted it out (when he'd had a few Black Labels) in January.

This means that foreign investment in mining will drop to zero (no huge change, really. Those investors there now are mostly the RTZ/Anglo types in for the marginal effort and a foot in the door for when "it all comes good" - you have to be optimistic, eh?)

You'd really think, in view of the current inflation rates - solely due to their thorough trashing of the agricultural industry - he and his gang'd have learned from recent history, wouldn't you?

Sadly not. The World Food Programme is the new coloniser of Zimbabwe.

2. ...did I mention that RTZ had their forex reserves surgically transplanted into the Central Bank of Zimbabwe in September last year to show the IMF that Zimbabwe still has some of those magical green US dollar things? Yes, I'm sure I did.

Hands up anyone who knows how much Mugabe's retirement mansion is costing to build. Anyone?

3. I'm guessing quite a bit. Zimbabwe's done for - I can only hope and pray South Africa doesn't go the same way.

Power cuts in CapeTown right now, due to one of the reactors at the local nuclear power plant going down.

4. Nightmare scenario - nuclear power in the hands of an African state.

I'm surprised that Bush hasn't whacked them already.

5. What's wrong with that? Are you confusing a civil program for electricity generation with a plan to use a civil program to get some military grade instant sunshine?

6. RSA gave up its nuclear weapons capability

link

7. Neither of you two above respondents (gentlemen, please) have any experience in dealing with the official representatives of any African state, I take it?

8. Not sure what that means but whats your solution to Zimbabwe then?

Tricam

9. I am always appalled when Zimbabwe comes into the public gaze and people realise the situation in this land.

Since January 2000 142 people have been killed (this excludes many other who have died indirectly) because of their stand for human rights. These are not terrorists or 'activists' in any sense except that they have stood against the excesses of mugabe's government.

To let this nation have nuclear power would, in my opinion, be folly based on the nation's past history irrespective of other considerations.

I have experienced 'official' representation in both East and West Africa and understand fully the implications of same that Brucefeller merely hints at. The problem is that Zimbabwe is continuing, unchecked, and the potential for RSA (to which my inclination is 'surely not!') to follow this road is immense.

This does not mean that the whites should take up arms but that our, and other nations, should open their eyes, get real and get working to resolve both nations' needs before the crisies becomes and even greater tragedy.

A quick quote: 'One year ago this week, Zanu PF declared themselves the winners of Zimbabwe's parliamentary elections. They returned to their government offices, strode back into parliament and continued the party's quarter of a century in power under the same leader. At that time, in March 2005, inflation in Zimbabwe was 123% and we thought life was hard. We didn't realise that we were about to enter the worst of times when you only bought petrol or diesel on the black market, when clean water from the tap would become a luxury and when electricity supplies would be interrupted every single day. It is hard to believe that just a year since those elections inflation has become unstoppable and is now officially quoted at 782%.

It is still incomprehensible that just a year ago there were many thousands of ordinary Zimbabweans surviving by making and selling goods on our road sides, pavements and flea markets. The vast majority of those people, cleared away in the government's Operation Murambatsvina last winter, have not been seen again in our local neighbourhoods.'

want to read more? Visit http://africantears.netfirms.com/april2006.shtml

10. Which nation is 'this' nation? Do you mean Zimbabwe? No one even suggested that....

Also - so many people are critical of South Africa going the same way as Zimbabwe. But could you spell out your exact fears? Do you suspect Mbeki will stay in indefinatley?

Tricam.

11. To allow any African nation access to processed nuclear materials, whether for power or otherwise, would be folly in the extreme. Not one could be described as stable or politically mature. South Africa has a President whose grasp of science leads him to believe that the catastrophic epidemic afflicting his country is caused by the squalor the victims live in, and his country is by far the most developed on the continent. No other country, on any side of the Sahara, has, even remotely, any of the social, economic or political qualities which should be required of a nation which makes use of nuclear energy.

I've lived and worked in many African countries, in all corners of the continent, and the thought of any of those politicians or officials I've met in control of anything so potentially devastating as a nuclear power station, let alone a nuclear weapon, gives me the shivers. It's bad enough that the brutes have AK47s.

12. See answer above for first part. Solution to Zimbabwe: when Mugabe bows out/dies/finally crawls up his fundament, Joice Mujuru is likely to take over. This woman is no friend to any of those who Mugabe has been voicing his loathing for over the last couple of decades, but she might - might - have worked out that the country is unnecessarily in appalling shape, despite the regular and astonishingly otherworldly claims made by her and her party. There might - might - be something of a renaissance then, but I'm not holding my breath.

13. 'would be folly'??? You do realise SA already has nuclear power don't you??

Mbeki was being a mong on the HIV issue - I suspect because he felt he could not afford the retrovirals. However, if we are talking about qualities required - have you seen who currently has their finger on the button in the US? not the sharpest knife in the drawer is he? Although he clearly is a tool....

Tricam

14. Actually, Mugabe suggested it a couple of months ago, which caused a few sharp intakes of breath among Zimbabweans of all shades.

15. Yes I do know that, and luckily the universities in RSA are capable of producing the sort of people who can manage those assets, and the country still has a GDP capable of sustaining them safely. However, I've little faith in the long-term future of South Africa as a stable democracy, and see their possession of nuclear power as ultimately nothing less than highly dangerous. The USA, despite the peculiar fellow in office at the moment, has any number of checks and balances to keep their power stations and missiles from going bang (ok, so 3-mile island happened...). South Africa has nothing like that level of control.

Anyway, enough of SA. This was a rant against the fools to the North of there.