ZH876 taken out by IED

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by old_bloke, Feb 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A good indication how much of a grip we really have on the place if we can't secure our airfields. Or am I missing something? OPSEC
  2. ISTR the ac was landing on a 'desert strip' - and therefore one not particularly easy to secure.

I'm not particularly surprised at the possible cause of the loss.
  3. If a Herc was making a scheduled stop there, surely it would be thought to be as secure as possible? If it wasn't a routine stop, how did the insurgents know to plant the IED?; if it was, where was the secure perimeter?

Given Crab's aversion to bending their pretty planes, I can't imagine them agreeing to land without the expectation of a clear landing strip.

4. There are a limited number of airstrips which will, therefore, be used relatively frequently. Planting an almost speculative IED (and one well hidden - buried in the tarmac?) and maintaining overwatch & waiting for the next flight would not be impossible. Without straying into OPSEC territory, I don't think it is controversial to observe that a 'secure perimeter' in a desert airstrip situation is largely a temporary measure.
  5. So, where *were* the RAF Regiment?
  6. No RAF Regt that far up country I'm afraid.
  7. Perfect EX_STAB
  8. I now remember why someone told me he slept with a pistol under his pillow when attached to our flying friends.
  9. Joker at 02:05 - good skills.

Bet victim at 03:09 would have welcomed the attention: :thumright:
  10. Well, that finally answers the long-standing question of what exactly the RAF Regiment are for...

Made my night, that has :)
  11. professional nonsense, professional soldiers.???????????????????????
  12. Dilfor:
    Many of these (infrequently used) airstrips are dirt runways and hence relatively easy to plant (and disguise) an IED on. Given the availability of IED components in this neck of the world, its not much of a logistic strain to plant one and then sit back and wait. If you know that the runway will be used once a week/once a month/whenever, you only need to have someone in place to arm/disarm for a relatively short time, especially if they can be warned off by someone under the flight path or indeed someone with 'inside information'/a local worker who has picked up on some careless talk. None of this is OPSEC territory either.

A question could be who did the runway clearance and when? Not 'was there a perimeter?'