ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Zapad - should we fret this September?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Zhopa, Aug 23, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?

By 21 September, Russia will have...

Poll closed Sep 12, 2017.
  1. invaded Ukraine from the north

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  2. launched an operation into the Suwałki gap from Belarus

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  3. done a Crimea somewhere in the neighbourhood

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. stayed behind in Belarus whether Minsk likes it or not

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  5. calmly carried off the exercise as planned and gone home saying "what's all the fuss about?"

35 vote(s)
    74.5%
  1. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

I didn't realise the British electorate dictated EU negotiation policy.

The main point stands, it won't do the UK any harm to have Mad Vlad focus a chunk of the EU on non-economic matters and activate the law of vital interest in our favour.

Meantime, let me not neglect pastoral matters and leave you wallowing soulfully in the slough of despond. Here's a gift for you in your darkest hour :wink::

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

The Russkies have spent a fortune on new kit. It's not the same beast that I tried to get to know. It needs to be taken seriously.

3. BM21's? 2S6 (9K22)? MTLB? BREM? BMP2? SU24? SU25? I could go on but there was a surprising amount of old kit as well as new or updated kit. However, it does need to be taken seriously.

The blog was interesting especially the 'real time' bit on comms being down

4. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Even Warrior is 30 years old.

5. I thought your point was:
    They have but they (like us) use old kit and much is the same that you 'tried to get to know'

I didn't see any of their 'new new' kit. And some seemed to be straight off the parade with nice badges on the side.

6. Oh, I know that, I just wonder how much of it they have. Some of those trucks look straight off the production line, especially the interiors look as if they have never seen an exercise in their lives, you just can't get them that shiny inside and out after a months use.

7. Dunno mate can't load the video as we have torrential rain here which buggers up the internet. Dingerr is the arrse expert on being toasted though, so hopefully he'll be along eventualy.

8. Bit of a post-mortem here on the initial phases of Zapad. Generally seems to say that Russia's been working on denying air superiority to NATO from the off:

Zapad 2017 and the Initial Period of War | Jamestown

I wouldn't have thought this was news to anyone and NATO has probably been having sneaky beaky looks at Zapad as it happened to check out developments.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. I have seen quite a few very interesting NATO call signs flying around near the the eastern polish borders recently on ADS-B Exchange which were clearly taking a look.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. One of them, at least, landed in Riga...

11. Russian Defence Minister summed up Zapad 2017 exercise : Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation
    Russian DefMin views on Zapad 2017:
    Still reckon only 12,700 troops used:
    All goals achieved, all hardware ensured massed fire (?) presumably a bit on using fire to max effect? Maritime and gd based 'high precision weapons' operated:
    I've only seen single source reporting on their (possible) leaving of men and materiel in Russia. Wait Out on that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Radio Free Europe seems always to have a downer on Putin's Russia, but according to this, Zapad hasn't papered over the cracks between Lukashenko and Putin.

The Zapad Hangover

• Informative Informative x 2