Zapad - should we fret this September?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Zhopa, Aug 23, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?

By 21 September, Russia will have...

Poll closed Sep 12, 2017.
  1. invaded Ukraine from the north

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  2. launched an operation into the Suwałki gap from Belarus

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  3. done a Crimea somewhere in the neighbourhood

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. stayed behind in Belarus whether Minsk likes it or not

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  5. calmly carried off the exercise as planned and gone home saying "what's all the fuss about?"

35 vote(s)
    74.5%
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. The newspaper article I posted before your post, linked to the same video; originally, they said people had been injured, however, when you look at the video, I would have thought the bloke would be toast. Hence my question to @dingerr and @eodmatt .

2. Is it true that Chuck Norris has a Vladimir Putin Action Figure?

[​IMG]

3. Just home from work and took a glance at this...

No Armata in the first 6 minutes... Happy to be corrected.
    Lots of focus on vehicle recovery AND, a mechanic hands deep in a gleaming engine with clean hands... I wish I could do that trick on my Vespa. Also, in the first shots, he is not only carrying a personal weapon but also note the lack of NBC kit.

4. At 13.30 - Frogfoots? It's been a long time...

5. yep, good luck getting spares for them.....

6. At 6.17 @Brotherton Lad has probably clocked some of the number plates when he was serving.

7. Oi! I was fishing for compliments on recognition skills after 20+ years, or maybe Alzheimer's is a good thing ;)

8. @History_Man

As we are talking about a certain not Russia State, you might enjoy this.

9. I was thinking more about where the engines came from, vlad might struggle to get OM parts from a country he's been invading for the past three years :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

• Like Like x 2
  11. He's been busy. And evidently enjoyed it. Nice to see that Michael Kofman does actually have a sense of humour after all.

Is anybody else going to the Zapad hot wash at Chatham House tomorrow (21st)?

12. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Looking on the bright side, Vlad on manoeuvres does remind the Eastern bit of the EU that hacking off one of the more useful members of NATO on Juncker's say-so might not be in their best interest.

If BoJo and May know their business, they'll be whispering things like 'faraway country of which we know nothing', musing aloud on Russia's ever-improving military capability and sternly affirming that we can stop them on the Rhine just so long as we don't dissipate our forces trying to sustain a forward strategy... :-D

• Like Like x 1
  13. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I think you'll find the hacking off bit was a choice of the British electorate.

I do like the 'if' at the start of your second paragraph.

• Like Like x 1
  14. As usual, the promo pieces show new and nearly new kit ( as well as some very well scrubbed up old kit!).
    I wonder just how much very old broken down kit was sat by the side of roads and tracks around the ex areas.

• Like Like x 1