• invaded Ukraine from the north

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • launched an operation into the Suwałki gap from Belarus

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • done a Crimea somewhere in the neighbourhood

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • stayed behind in Belarus whether Minsk likes it or not

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • calmly carried off the exercise as planned and gone home saying "what's all the fuss about?"

Votes: 35 74.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He's been busy. And evidently enjoyed it. Nice to see that Michael Kofman does actually have a sense of humour after all.

Is anybody else going to the Zapad hot wash at Chatham House tomorrow (21st)?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Looking on the bright side, Vlad on manoeuvres does remind the Eastern bit of the EU that hacking off one of the more useful members of NATO on Juncker's say-so might not be in their best interest.

If BoJo and May know their business, they'll be whispering things like 'faraway country of which we know nothing', musing aloud on Russia's ever-improving military capability and sternly affirming that we can stop them on the Rhine just so long as we don't dissipate our forces trying to sustain a forward strategy... :-D

Looking on the bright side, Vlad on manoeuvres does remind the Eastern bit of the EU that hacking off one of the more useful members of NATO on Juncker's say-so might not be in their best interest.

If BoJo and May know their business, they'll be whispering things like 'faraway country of which we know nothing', musing aloud on Russia's ever-improving military capability and sternly affirming that we can stop them on the Rhine just so long as we don't dissipate our forces trying to sustain a forward strategy... :-D

I think you'll find the hacking off bit was a choice of the British electorate.

I do like the 'if' at the start of your second paragraph.

As usual, the promo pieces show new and nearly new kit ( as well as some very well scrubbed up old kit!).
I wonder just how much very old broken down kit was sat by the side of roads and tracks around the ex areas.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I think you'll find the hacking off bit was a choice of the British electorate.

I do like the 'if' at the start of your second paragraph.
I didn't realise the British electorate dictated EU negotiation policy.

The main point stands, it won't do the UK any harm to have Mad Vlad focus a chunk of the EU on non-economic matters and activate the law of vital interest in our favour.

Meantime, let me not neglect pastoral matters and leave you wallowing soulfully in the slough of despond. Here's a gift for you in your darkest hour :wink::

As usual, the promo pieces show new and nearly new kit ( as well as some very well scrubbed up old kit!).
I wonder just how much very old broken down kit was sat by the side of roads and tracks around the ex areas.

The Russkies have spent a fortune on new kit. It's not the same beast that I tried to get to know. It needs to be taken seriously.

The Russkies have spent a fortune on new kit. It's not the same beast that I tried to get to know. It needs to be taken seriously.
BM21's? 2S6 (9K22)? MTLB? BREM? BMP2? SU24? SU25? I could go on but there was a surprising amount of old kit as well as new or updated kit. However, it does need to be taken seriously.

The blog was interesting especially the 'real time' bit on comms being down

BM21's? 2S6 (9K22)? MTLB? BREM? BMP2? SU24? SU25? I could go on but there was a surprising amount of old kit as well as new or updated kit. However, it does need to be taken seriously.

The blog was interesting especially the 'real time' bit on comms being down

Even Warrior is 30 years old.

Even Warrior is 30 years old.
I thought your point was:
They have but they (like us) use old kit and much is the same that you 'tried to get to know'

I didn't see any of their 'new new' kit. And some seemed to be straight off the parade with nice badges on the side.

Oh, I know that, I just wonder how much of it they have. Some of those trucks look straight off the production line, especially the interiors look as if they have never seen an exercise in their lives, you just can't get them that shiny inside and out after a months use.

The newspaper article I posted before your post, linked to the same video; originally, they said people had been injured, however, when you look at the video, I would have thought the bloke would be toast. Hence my question to @dingerr and @eodmatt .
Dunno mate can't load the video as we have torrential rain here which buggers up the internet. Dingerr is the arrse expert on being toasted though, so hopefully he'll be along eventualy.

I wouldn't have thought this was news to anyone and NATO has probably been having sneaky beaky looks at Zapad as it happened to check out developments.
I have seen quite a few very interesting NATO call signs flying around near the the eastern polish borders recently on ADS-B Exchange which were clearly taking a look.