ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Zapad - should we fret this September?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Zhopa, Aug 23, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?

By 21 September, Russia will have...

Poll closed Sep 12, 2017.
  1. invaded Ukraine from the north

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  2. launched an operation into the Suwałki gap from Belarus

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  3. done a Crimea somewhere in the neighbourhood

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. stayed behind in Belarus whether Minsk likes it or not

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  5. calmly carried off the exercise as planned and gone home saying "what's all the fuss about?"

35 vote(s)
    74.5%
  1. I am wrong - from SHAPE.. The US Air Force F-15C fighters are normally stationed at Royal Air Force Lakenheath, United Kingdom. They will ensure the mission of safeguarding the airspace over Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania together with Belgian Air Force F-16 jets at Ämari, Estonia. For the fifth time, the USA are showcasing Allied solidarity and the transatlantic link not only towards the Baltic Allies, but to all NATO members.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. I thought F15s were tactical fighters, good at blowing up tanks and things before becoming actual fighters...

3. Graphic from Reuters showing troops involved. Not sure how accurate they are or not:
    [​IMG]

I'm just going to capture this in case I'm wholly wrong. Spookily, Sergey has been rather quiet despite being tagged in posts on the 'Dedicated Russian' thread:
    Deputy Defence Minister Lieutenant General Alexander Fomin held briefing on preparation for the Zapad 2017 joint exercise : Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. :) he might've been banned again. I personally don't think he's part of the troll factory and Sergey has disowned him saying words along the lines of 'he's a Ukrainian trying to make Russia look bad' (which flies in the face of earlier comments he made when YarS joined). Interesting times .....

5. That's the F-15E. The F-15C is the air superiority version. Good at it's job, but getting a little long in the tooth.

6. I thought @YarS absence was due to him sulking in a corner somewhere because of him being thought Ukrainian. Must have been hard to hear that.

I think @KGB_resident has done us a favour.

7. Could be. Nothing seen since: How will the Ukraine war end?

Maybe he's drunk some tea and is now glowing like a 'Ready Brek' kid :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. It's not quite the going out in the gotterdammerung style ending he fantasised about.

9. I myself at 1/2 ethnically Ukrainian. Name Yaroslav (or in Polish variant Yaroslaw) is rarely used in Russia. Never in my life I met a person with such a name. But the name is frequent in Poland, Czech republic, in Ukraine (rather in Western Ukraine).
    So our friend @YarS is most likely Ukrainian from Western Ukraine.
    Probably he is banned.

• Like Like x 1
  10. He said he has family in E Ukraine. It's possible that he does and the family originate from that area. Still think he's Russian though, but that's enough on @YarS as saying his name so many times may bring him back again :)

11. The Polish variant is actually "Jarosław". The 'J' in the Polish alphabet phonetically is said like a 'y'.

• Like Like x 1
  12. During Soviet times there was signifucant movemnet of population from Western parts (poor, mainly agrarian) of Ukraine to eastern parts (industrial heartlands). My late Mother-in-law recalled that her brother (they lived in a big village in Estern Ukraine) married to a lass from Western Ukraine. Her numerous sisters visited her frequently and conversated using local dialect that my Mother-in-Law didn't understand.
    Now Ukrainians try to find job where it is possible. Yesterday in Reus airport (80 km from Barcelona) I rented a car and namely a Ukrainian serviced my (there is a lot of Russian tourists in Spain).