Zapad - should we fret this September?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Zhopa, Aug 23, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?

By 21 September, Russia will have...

Poll closed Sep 12, 2017.
  1. invaded Ukraine from the north

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  2. launched an operation into the Suwałki gap from Belarus

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  3. done a Crimea somewhere in the neighbourhood

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. stayed behind in Belarus whether Minsk likes it or not

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  5. calmly carried off the exercise as planned and gone home saying "what's all the fuss about?"

35 vote(s)
    74.5%
    • Informative Informative x 2
  1. He's legit, and doesn't post lightly. I've not known him to be off target before.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Bottoms beginning to twitch some capitals then and blokes and blokesses are going to have no sleep, perhahps @Zhopa

3. U.S. send extra fighters to police Baltic skies during Russian exercise
    More fighters (F15C's) sent to Lithuania:
    'Training opportunities' :) nothing to do with Zapad 2017

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tell me about it. Frustrating for those knowledgable folks who are convinced that nothing untoward is going to happen (but are still pulling extra shifts because of those twitchy bottoms).

Still, it keeps my folks in business so not complaining too hard.

5. Seven!?

Bottoms are defo twitching.

Do they need adult nappies sending?

6. Usually these Air Policing alerts are of 4 jets, so 7 is a 75% increase.

This might sound good in a press breifing from somewhere within the Beltway by a Pentagon spin doctor not mentioning actual numbers and quoting only the percentage, but the reality on the ground is somewhat different.

7. So fifteen jets immediately available, Finland, Norway, Poland, Denmark and crucially, Sweden are stood behind them. Time will tell.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Meaning BAP?

I've missed two somewhere... 7 Eagles at Šiauliai, 4 Belgian F-16s and two RAF Typhoons at Ämari - what else?

(Just don't mention the fact that as soon as anything kicks off their first task is to bugger off somewhere less vulnerable...)

9. I would have thought 4 RAF Tiffs would be available.2 jets does not allow for any unserviceability. 2 jets is the minimum needed for a live scramble.

10. Perhaps that's notionally not what they are there for. From JDW today:

"Two Typhoon fighters from the Royal Air Force’s No 3 Squadron arrived at Ämari, Estonia, on 29 August to participate in air-land integration exercises with the British-led battlegroup currently deployed in Estonia, as part of NATO’s enhanced Forward Presence (eFP)."

But then, it's written by Bruce Jones, so the relationship with the facts might be a little tenuous...

11. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

Bot all. Nothing. Nievashna.