Ypres hotel

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Poppy, Dec 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am going on a battlefield tour this weekend and we have been booked into the Flanders Lodge - has anyone stayed there? we are a bit miffed as it is out of town - thus limiting us to hotel bar or taxi back after a night out. It sounds perfectly ok from its website

2. Sorry Poppy, not been there.

Be careful with Taxis in that neck of the woods, it's not like UK with a local 24hr service. You might get the hotel to warn their tame driver off to be on call.

Enjoy.

PS - lunch at Le Paix in Poeringhe on Armistice Day, absolutely superb from all 9 gourmandes/alcies.

3. There used to be a few in the town but they seem to have disappeared on my last visit, about five years ago. I have tried a web search ond only found hotels outside the town. Not too good if you like a beer or three while awaitng the fire brigade and then driving on the wrong side of the road.

4. Poppy Travel has used the Flanders Lodge on several occasions. Its a Great Western Hotel used by tours visiting Ypres. Its about a 15-20 minute walk from the Grootmarkt when sober - and perhaps a seem a little less by beer scooter.

You can ask the hotel to book a taxi or to tell you which bus you need to take from the Groot markt.

5. Thank you - it is about 20 years since I was sober :D

6. Stopped there in the summer when I did a 100 mile walk across France and Belgium following the route one of our Father Bn took.

Nice location, food ok ish. Bar vvv good. Beds comfortable and showers vv powerful

Took a while to get a taxi in and back but only a short trip and didnt cost too much.

As metioned get the Hotel to book a taxi

7. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Ariane is in the middle of town. A Novotel just round the corner, you can't have looked very hard. Of course you could always stay with Banjotrooper:
    http://www.lillegateguesthouse.com/

8. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Only if you have a liver of a horse and the beer intake of a tankie.

9. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

I was keeping that bit quiet. :D

10. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

11. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

I've heard Banjo being called all sorts, 'sweet' was never one of them :roll:

12. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Seconded - will pass this on to interested parties. :?

13. I didn't look anywhere - the man in charge booked the group!!!! I think his group usually stays in the Ariane, I have only been to Arras with him before (and Valencay) and we used the Moderne in Arras

14. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Best not tell Banjo that you think Ypres is in France!!!!!! :roll:

15. no spamming allowed EvilAdj