You've got to feel sorry for London bobbies

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by rockape34, Oct 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HERE

Wouldn't be right for them to live amongst the proles would it :? :x

2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

No, It wouldn't.

My sister (Met) choses to live an hour away from where she works. That way, she can go shopping, go to the pub, walk down the street etc without having to deal with the idiots that she may have nicked/stopped from beating their girlfriend to a pulp/etc on her previous shift.

When a large part of your job involves dealing with the scum of society, why would you chose to rub shoulders with them out of work?

3. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Another point is the fact that most coppers can't afford to live in London. I wonder how many coppers based at Chelsea nick live in Chelsea?

4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

If you can find any, investigate them. If they are much lower than Commander level they are probably on the fiddle!

5. Never thought of it that way, but I suppose you're right - who in their right mind would want to mix with politicians' given the choice? ^~

6. Bloody hell, worst plod outrage thread ever! At least Semper makes an effort.

7. A report from America ( can't remember which city / state ) said crime dropped dramatically in areas where officers lived and worked because they knew the area and inhabitants on a one to one basis and gleaned useful intelligence from people who trusted them more than police officers living miles away.

8. Any figures on the number who were gunned in acts of retribution for doing their job? By their neighbours etc.

9. The area where I live in Preston has quite a few copper living in it. Visitors think it must be quite a high crime area because of the amount of police cars seen on the streets :)

10. I'm not sure if you're Pro-Babylon or just Pro-Semper...

11. What an arrse article. I work in Cardiff, but don't live there and I commute to get to my job. So do a massive percentage of the population of britain. I fail to see where there's a problem?

12. my brother is bobbie in a county force , he lives 2 divisions from where he works because of that as well as doing the public facing volunteer role he has with a large charity in the county where my mum lives for these kinds of reasons

13. Well one of the reasons is that a lot of Surrey Officers (living in Surrey) defected to the MET a few years ago on the promise of a Mega pay rise and London weighting allowance. At one point it became a standing joke that Surrey was a training ground for METPOL.

There was even a sign up at woking Police station ' Metropolitan Police Departure Lounge' before someone was ordered to remove it !

14. Speaking to the Defence Select Committee yesterday, Mr Fox said: "Soldiers often want to live in military ghettos, patches in Essex, Wiltshire and Yorkshire... because they like to live together."

15. Which is what we used to have in the Uk with Police houses, that doubled up as stations with Bobbies living in their patch.

With modern Police management this was condisered old hat, and the officers were reduced in number, allowed to work office hours desk jobs, and removed from the streets 24*7. As well as cheaper PCSO's bein gdeployed during the high crime (yeah right) office hours.

Any any soldier knows, you can invade by air, but it's boots onthe ground that keep the territory. We lost a lost of boots, and lost a lot of ground in our country.