Youtube - DSC 1-2 shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by moving-target-survivor, Mar 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Worthy lesson

Can't really see it being worth the risk myself either - certainly not in the wild anyway.
  2. A lot of folks dont like the head shot, however with a good shot and the right conditions its quite acceptable. Head and high neck shots are often used when culling because the beast just drops, this allows further beasts to be shot before they are spooked and move. The bonus is that there is no meat wastage.
  3. at 50meters thats a 1/2 MOA...

thats quite demanding both on the hunter and the scope even before you account for windage etc
  4. I don't think that's quite right.

1 MOA at 100 yards = 1.047 inches so at 50 yards that would be 0.5235 of an inch. So 1/2 MOA would be 0.26175 of an inch.

1 MOA at 100 meters = 2.908 centimeters so at 50m that would be 1.454 centimeters. So 1/2 MOA would be 0.727 of an centimeter.

While it is not a large brain it is bigger than that at approx 6 centimeters in width and 10 centimeters in length. So it's approx a 2 MOA brain at 100 meters or approx 4 MOA at 50 meters. Still not a shot I would take. Wind drift, unless it was blowing a gale, would be not an issue at 50m.

Look here
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I stand well and truly corrected!
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Unless you are unlucky with a chest shot there is no meat salvaged anyway from a rib shot that has no deflections, there are as many risks of deflection from a head shot as a chest one in my experience. I have headshot a wounded deer and fucked it up badly, it moved its head and I shot its hjaw off. Luckily it looked back at me after getting up and running and I did the job properly. Something I should have done first time!
    I'm sorry but chest shots only for me and any clients (yes there is always one exception!)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Evening Ugs. John Fletcher the vet who did a huge amount of work on red deer in Scotland used to farm them. He preferred field slaughter; that is food was laid out, the beasts would come up and feed, he would choose one or two and head shoot them from a couple of metres. The other beasts would look up, maybe move a couple of metres then come back and feed; sometimes eating the food that had brain and blood over it. After a visit from compassion in farming, they too agreed that this was the single most humane and stress free method of despatch.

Beast that have been worked hard will move at any indication that all is not well as you well know, however when culling a herd putting beast down without a twitch gives a little more time to put more down; sometimes quite a few more. Yes, there is the potential to make a mess but I am sure that you have seen paying guests doing the same on what are easy chest shots. Current legislation in Scotland only allows head shots on marine mammals and only out to 150m, by selecting the right bullet a botched shot will still render the animal senseless long enough to finish the job. At the end of the day, the target is about the same size. Horses for courses as they say.
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

As I said there is always an exception. I took Billy two shits stalking several times, he didnt see a deer till the one time we had to take a roebuck who wouldnt stand and wouldnt show us anything but the back of his head.
    It took us two hours to get as close as we dared, he took a standing shot at 80 yards between trees at the head which popped up when I used the buttalo caller. I had seen this lad shoot difficult paper targets and felt he could do it. If we hadnt had to take this troublesome buck that was trashing the saplings I wouldnt have done it!
    Lets just say my reputation hung on his shot and my ability to get the deer to present a target.
    It did a snow angel in the leaves and the doe just looked on for about 10 minutes afterwards.
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Oh and farmed or fenced deer are notorious for being easy to shoot without disturbing the herd.
  10. As are pigs unlike cattle.:)
  11. My deer management lecturer many years ago said they used to feed out of the back of the landy regularly - that way, when they wanted to off a couple, they could do it from the back of the rover, nice and close and at the perfect angle.
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Pierre Darvos (SP) are the same although with pigs I've always seperated them as I thought the ******* would kick off as pigs are barking.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Hill deer who have not been worked behave just the same, trouble is in most areas they have been worked.
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

There is a smashing Ghillie I know who once had to take 80 head of hinds, using a modded sako 85 in .270. That was one long day with the herd pushed up against the forest fence at the end of the glen in an attempt to meet DCS minimum cull numbers or face the Glenfieshe effect!
    He admitted it wasnt enjoyable and the ghillies from the whole glen waded in with the lardering and it took them till 9 the next morning when the chiller lorry left!