Youths rescue man from house fire

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mw14, Nov 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if it's been covered before, but this is a welcome psotive story about "local youths".

Full text:
    Trick-or-treating youths rescued a man from a house fire in Bristol.
    The group of six teenagers saw flames coming from a window at a house in Meadow Vale, Speedwell, then broke the window and saw the man on the floor.

"We saw him knocked out so we went in and dragged him out," said 18-year-old Ross Vinicombe.

The man, Mike Starr, 33, went to hospital with suspected smoke inhalation. The fire is believed to have started accidentally.

Joanne Thomas, 42, who lives two doors away, went with Mr Starr to hospital.

"When we got there we were told if it hadn't been for them breaking the window, he wouldn't be here but he's OK now, thank God," she said.

Once Mr Starr was safely out of the house the youths returned inside to check for his children. It was later confirmed they had been staying elsewhere.

"I'm really proud of them all," said Ross's mother Michelle.

A spokesperson for Avon Fire and Rescue Service praised the bravery of the group.

"Obviously what these young people did was extremely brave and quick thinking. It is a great example of community spirit. However, if someone does find a fire we'd recommend them to stay outside and call 999 as they could get injured themselves."
  2. Wasn't it General Moore who at the end of the Falklands War who said something like 'don't slag off our youth when they acheive things like this"

These kids negate the bad things a few kids get up to
  3. Hear, Hear! Don't mistake 'Youth' for 'Chav'. Well done yoofs!

Cheers Easy!
  4. its not easy to differentiate you know, all these teens look the same to me.
  5. "We broke the window and climbed in. That's when we noticed the flames." said one of the youths.
  6. Where does it say that?
  7. What it actually says is

8. Only the accessories are different.
  9. Quite!!!

PTP, I'm not knocking your moderation of this very difficult theme/thread in any way, but sometimes you seem to go off half-penissed (due to that fückin' censor thingy)!

There were a couple of posts which expressed an extremely cynical view of the actions of these very brave young people. However, you saw fit to delete them, along with my corresponding refudiation. I'm absolutely certain that other ARSSErs would have done the same (and probably given them what-for into the bargain).

Give us credit for a bit of intelligence, FFS, PTP!

Bye the way, the lads done magnificant, theys did, an' all hail to 'em!

10. You have a point Bugsy. But let's start the thread as we mean to carry on , rather than indulge 'comedians' who hardly use Current Affairs at all shall we?

Very good effort from those kids too.
  11. It's worth pointing out at this juncture that the average age of people hauled in front of Magistrate on charges of assualt, drunk & disorderly and criminal damage is 28 years old.

Anyone that thinks teens are a criminal menace needs to think again.

Teens are a social menace, and that's an entirely different thing :-D

Well done, lads!
  12. Bit old to be going door-to-door asking for sweets. Imagine how intimidating it would be for an old lady if six 18 year old lads turned up on her doorstep asking for money.

Did they really do anthing particularly special? I would have thought that it was just the done thing, good samaritan and all that (its actually the law that they had to help in some countries).

Fair play to them good came out of it but they should be embarrassed trick or treating at their age (if they turned up on my doorstep they would be told to feck off) why were they doing it? It was legal for them to be in a pub.
  13. Getting the money for a pint??
  14. Most people go to work for beer money. Maybe they had spent all their dole money.
  15. Or perhaps their apprenticeship money - or the £40 that teenage college students get