Youth Unemployment in Scotland

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Your_Mums_Pal, Feb 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Actually heard this on the radio this morning.

BBC NEWS | Scotland | Scots youth unemployment surges

Got to thinking about how difficult it actually is to find work in Scotland for anyone never mind the youth. See I fall into this age bracket (I'm 23) and I'm a night shift worker, stuck in a job where I'm not really contributing and not really meeting any challenges. I'm doing what I can to change this to find a more suitable job and one that suits my qualifications and my experience.

It's a bit of a pain. I have an HNC and although I've worked in maybe 3-4 different positions, I don't really have the experience for a lot of the places I'm looking at. I generally am told that whilst I was a good candidate and they'll keep my CV etc, the job actually went to someone who just had more experience.

Couldn't believe there'd been a 75% rise though. What the hell do you do to actually provide jobs for the youth?

Point them at McDonalds?
  2. Newphew has not long left school at 16 and is looking for an apprenticeship nothing going. He's also been to see about the navy but has been told there is a 5yr waiting list dependant on the trade he would want to do. He's been told not to apply for a supermarket job as he's not 18 someting to do with insurance! Even then there were 300 forms given out for 6 jobs.

He's currently at college part time doing an intro to construction modlue which he likes but doesnt get any funding for it.

Saying that my mob is taking apprentices/trainee's on at the moment every other month just about to start the 3rd intake in a year up here
  3. See I began work in a supermarket at 16 but there were problems with it then too. Selling/shelving alcohol, dealing with customer complaints etc. Technically you're supposed to be over 18 to do both. I had a lucky start then, this was about 7 years ago and things were easier. I filled the application in the shop café, handed it in and got the phone call that night. Began as a temp and was kept on. But I understand where they're coming from not hiring under 18s.
  4. Scotland, no real difference to other places across the Uk, my lad is 20 & cannot find any long term employment/training, he gets by doing shifts at a care home as & when they need him.
  5. Can he not join the TA?
  6. Was it Tebbitt who said 'Get on your bike'
  7. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

A significant factor in youth unemployment is the skills people leave school/university with. Bottom line is employers want someone numerate and literate - so that their business shows a net benefit from taking the person on.

New Liebor was so busy dropping the pass marks for exams that they forgot that when people leave school they go out into the real (and very competitive) world. There employers want to make sure they take on people with the appropriate skills.

I work for a large software company. They give a practical test to all programmers they take on. Doesn't matter how good your paper qualifications are; you've got to sit down in front of that lap top and produce examples of good coding practice or you won't get a job offer.

And that's the problem - turn out inadequately educated people and they won't find employment. Firms (particularly in the current climate) are going for older and more skilled employees over younger ones - because the firms know they have to select the best employee to maintain their profitability.

To some extent that's where self help comes in. If you're in the 18 - 25 year old bracket, and your English/Maths skills are deficient, then brush up on them, either at night school or at home. Similarly, if you want to work in a particular market sector, start learning about it. Do anything that will give you an advantage in the recruitment process. Sit on your backside and you're going to be unemployed for a long time...

There is going to be a youth unemployment problem for many years to come - but individuals can buck that trend with some self help.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I am within this 18-25 bracket and I would of said I was save with MoD however I not anymore.

However UK going get even tougher with Coming April/May you start to see even more cuts. While End of March is when they can start making Compulsory redundancies if they wish to.

I am now pushing to get on college course or at best I applying for the army.
  9. As Wordsmith said, try brushing up on your written English skills and it will stand you in good stead for whatever you try and do.

I'm not taking the piss, see if you can knock out about five paragraphs on here outlining your point in spell-checked English of a suitable standard for an internet forum that will be worth someone else's while to read.

If you can't, or can't be bothered, then it is a sign that you need to sort yourself out if you want anyone to take you seriously enough to employ.
  10. For the youth, don't sit still.

TA, youth work, voluntary work, and get in some extra skills. If there chance of a 'gap year' experience go for it, even if there is no gap.

Make yourself employable and memorable on the cv.
  11. Stuff Spell- Checker, every one should have basic spelling and numeracy.

Our ******* masters for the last couple of generations (that's about 16 years apart nowadays) have sold our children down the river.
  12. The ou do help to unemployed by the way, so you can work to a useful courses in your area of interest from home (whilst doing odd jobs for your parents/money).
  13. And it was Brown who said "There are only 600 unemployed youths in Scotland." I was there, watching him, when he said it.

Back in the real world, there are more than 600 unemployed youths in Argyll Street on a Saturday afternoon, never mind in the whole of Scotland.
  14. Well, following on from my first post.

I shot myself in the foot, I started at University and left half way through the year. I may have had a good opportunity but it just wasn't for me, I wasn't interested in it in the long run and I wanted to work and have the opportunity to live my life without more studying. I worked at a supermarket, worked for a manufacturing company then was an office administrator before I was laid off when the company died and I ended up here.

I was in the TA for a few years and although I benefited in terms of, say, life experience and I learned a hell of a lot, in the end I didn't come out with anything that directly benefited me in the working world. It was good and it paid so I'd recommend it to anybody but it's not easy to get in and it's not everybody's cup of tea. I understand why most folk would want to avoid the TA and if you DON'T understand, well, you're not being realistic.

Here's a new point.

Are parents really making the effort to help their kids out as they start off in the working world?

Most young folk two or three years younger than me are their arses most of the time and just apathetic about the entire thing. I worked from 16 because my mum and dad wouldn't have it any other way...if I wasn't working I'd have been papped off somewhere else.