Yours Aye

Discussion in 'Officers' started by afghanman, Oct 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have noticed that it is quite popular in miliary circles to end letters, and some official corresspondence, with Yours Aye.

Whats that all about??

2. Ali G? :?

Ive got my coat on

3. The 'Aye' is a reference to the medieval word for eye, or brown eye in today’s context. Yours Aye simply means, in a crude form of closing a letter, 'up yer arrse'.

In the words of General Wahhly Henderson-Jones, 'Not many people know that.'

Hope this helps

4. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Its the traditional Scots ending for letters. Below refers:

http://sinclair.quarterman.org/archive/2001/04/msg00028.html

"Yours aye" in Scotland literally "yours ever" or "yours always", and it is
    quite a common closing to a note or letter, particularly amongst the
    Military, where I started using it, around 20 years ago, instead of "yours
    ever" or "yours sincerely". "Aye" is commonly used in Scots song and poetry
    instead of the English "ever" or "always", e.g. "I'll aye be wi' ye..", (I
    will always be with you...). It may have developed other meanings in the
    USA, as our common language is constantly evolving language (although in
    the elevator/lift joke, there is an reminder that while the Americans
    invented the elevator, the Brits invented the language. So if you want the
    Scots origin of "yours aye", this is it!

5. You may also use it "the other way" ergo

Aye Yours = Ever Yours

but only for those you know well.

6. 'Yours Aye' (under old SD) = porridge wogs version of 'Yours ever'.

We were always taught to 'Yours ever' unless we were of the northern persuasion.

Yours pedantically,

SN

7. Way way back, this was the handwritten closing to what was then known as a demi-official (DO) letter. Please do not ask me what a DO letter was. Some form of not quite formal communication ranging from gentle advice, through mild boloocking into congratulations for a job well done. The 'Dear Rupert' bit would also be handwritten.

8. is this not covered in the old JSP 101?

9. The bureaucracy of Empire dies hard. I did a quick google for "demi-official letter", and the top results were from India, Canada, and the Royal Signals.

10. A demi-official letter was one written in an official capacity, but on behalf of a specific individual rather than an appointment. Contrasted with a Routine Letter (written for an external audience from an appointment on behalf of ones superior commander) and a Loose Minute (written for an internal audience, from an appointment and on behalf of the appointment-holder). The "Formal Letter" was a purely personal affair for use only in personal and private correspondence.

JSP101, however, has entered the 21st Century and has done away with all of these, going by the rule that conveying the information clearly, concisely and correctly is more important than whether the borders and 1" or 1.5". And jolly good, too.

"Yours Aye" should only be used by Scots when signing off DO letters or personal correspondence. For a non-Scot to use it is unforgiveably presumptive unless the writer is American, in which case no further harm can possibly be done.

IF

11. I do enjoy these cries for help!

Problem is these days that the lower orders are elevated above their station, so to speak, and so it is necessary to explain how to dress, how to eat, how to correspond, how to hunt, shoot, fish etc. so that they can survive as if on a ("new speak", I presume) "level playing field".

I usually address letters to people that I don't know that well as (for example): Dear Jackson. I would sign off such a letter as: Yours, Crusty. If I knew them a little better then it would be: My Dear Jackson and possibly signed as Yours ever, Crusty.

Yours aye is of course only suitable for those with an affiliation north of the border. It is pretentious for a chap from south of the border to use it and it is even more pretentious when some officers sign off as Aye alone.

Of course there is nothing to stop a chap doing it as drilled in at prep school: Dear Mummy and Daddy, and, Yours sincerely, Crusty xx. But perhaps without the kisses of course (though even that seems about to be compulsory!).

Crusty
    Colonel

12. I was on a course a few months ago and they were hoping to hand out copies of the new JSP101 on disc but it wasn't ready in time.

Does anybody know if the disc is available yet, if so is the PAM small enough to email and does anyone have a copy?

13. eDW is on the interweb thingy, but only as an interactive tutorial, in Macromedia Flash.

It contains a 'library' section, which has downloadable PDFs of related documents.

http://www.da.mod.uk/eDW/eDW/edw_welcome_01.htm

JSP101, as a downloadable PDF, is linked at the foot of the initial welcome page.

14. Sure, why follow tradition and any form of convention.
    Perhaps they should now allow scented and flowery background paper as well. With luck any whimsical font may be used as well, after all this is the 21st century.

15. Ideas factory wrote:

Partly correct, as in to or from a specific individual, but also recommended for use to one's banker or tailor!

Routine letters could be signed on one's own behalf if one had the authority.

Loose minutes were never to be signed "for" someone

Bunkum, Sir. The formal letter was used for reporting to duty letters and in disciplinary matters: the example in the old JSP101 was a very funny one from an Officer whinging about being done for boozing yet having small mess bills.

• Like Like x 1