Youre Drunk! Have an ASBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1
Somehow,I cant see this working,It's going to mean the Police & Courts clogged up even more dealing with repeat offenders & hardcore pishheads.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8227236.stm

People in England and Wales who commit crimes or behave anti-socially while drunk could now face a Drinking Banning Order - or "booze Asbo".

Under powers coming into force on Monday, police and councils can seek an order on anyone aged 16 and over.

Magistrates can then ban them from pubs, bars, off-licences and certain areas for up to two years. Anyone who breaches the order faces a £2,500 fine.

Alcohol charities said the orders could work as part of a number of measures.

Culture change

Home Office minister Alan Campbell said crime and disorder linked to alcohol cost the UK billions of pounds every year.

"These orders will stop those people who are well known to the authorities, licensees and often the communities where they live, from ruining lives - and will make them face up to their destructive behaviour," he added.

It will be jelly bean Asbos for sugared-up kids next. Surely it's time to call last orders on endless new legislation

But civil liberties group Liberty dismissed them as gimmicks that failed to get to the root cause of the problem.

Policy director Isabella Sankey said: "How many times can you spin a new 'crackdown' without tackling the causes of offending behaviour?

"It will be jelly bean Asbos for sugared-up kids next. Surely it's time to call last orders on endless new legislation."

Jeremy Beadles, the chief executive of the Wine and Spirit Trade Association which represents companies in the industry, disagreed.

'Toolbox of tactics'

He said: "Tough enforcement against offenders is critical if we are to change the culture around problem drinking."

Don Shenker, chief executive of Alcohol Concern, gave the orders a more cautious welcome.

"Used as part of a package of measures to reduce alcohol harms, these initiatives can make a real difference to safety on our streets," he said.

Policing of alcohol-related crime must go hand in hand with more robust measures to curb irresponsible sales

"Policing of alcohol-related crime must go hand in hand with more robust measures to curb irresponsible and illegal sales and improved treatment pathways for dependent drinkers."

Metropolitan Police Commander Simon O'Brien, who speaks for the Association of Chief Police Officers on alcohol licensing, said the orders "add to the toolbox of tactics" in tackling drunken and persistent offenders.

Some offenders may be referred to a course to address their drinking, and if successfully completed, could see the length of the order reduced.

The participant, not the government, is expected to cover the costs of the Positive Behaviour Intervention Courses, from £120 to £250.

Alcohol Concern called for the courses to be made available to everyone served with a Drinking Banning Order.

In Scotland, Asbos can be used to prohibit people from drinking in the streets - the first such orders were imposed on four people in Dumfries in 2006.
 
#2
spike7451 said:
Magistrates can then ban them from pubs, bars, off-licences and certain areas for up to two years. Anyone who breaches the order faces a £2,500 fine.
Allow me to reword this bit.

Magistrates can and will ban them from pubs, bars and off-licences. More than likely for about 6 months but probably less due to the new lefty sentencing guidelines which imply that punishment is unfair on the offender. Anyone who breaches this order faces being arrested, wasting more of the precious little time police officers have to investigate crimes. They then face being bailed (re-bailed) and then being put before a court where they will be reminded of their Order and given a bloody good 3 minute telling off. They will then be fined a portion of the court costs that will be deducted from their benefits (which you pay not them) at no more than £1.87 a month.

That'll learn em :roll:
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#3
One minute you're disagreeing with extending the powers of the police to 'on the spot' fine these people and the next you're disagreeing with them appearing in the Magistrates. How would you propose that they were dealt with? It's already been proven that alcohol abuse costs the tax payer a fortune as it is related to so much 'street crime' and its consequences (i.e the cost to the NHS). British drinking 'culture' needs changing, but there are so many people making so much money out of it that it will no doubt remain the same for at least the foreseeable future. The Government need to clamp down on the cost of alcohol. This country is a f*cking embarrassment on a weekend. Not only that, it's bloody dangerous as well. Even when Brits travel abroad they don't know how to control themselves The cost of alcohol should be priced higher. The argument that it will hurt the responsible drinker doesn't weigh up against the amount of NHS money being spent on cases involving alcohol, be that on alcoholics or the results of drunken punch ups/any other drink elated incident. As for benefits, they should not be paid in cash. The should recieve coupons for the basics, i.e. food & clothing. Nothing more. A good number of benefit claimants don't pay rent or rates, so they don't have a need for cash. They certainly don't have a need for alcohol, fags or Sky Digital which they appear to place more store in. Some pubs have priced up their drink and it kept the low life out fo the towns for a while, but all they do now is buy cheap sh*t from Tesco, get tanked up in the house and then hit the town later on in the night. The supermarkets have a large responsibility here and they need to be forced to raise prices. Selling alcohol at prices less than mineral water is irresponsible. It's hammering the sh*t out of the NHS and the tax payer.
 
#4
Biscuits
Are you saying that all benefit claimants should be punished for the crime of being out of work? That is what your comment reads like to me. I am disabled and have just recently started to claim benefits. Im not happy about it, and comments like
"As for benefits, they should not be paid in cash. The should recieve coupons for the basics, i.e. food & clothing. Nothing more. A good number of benefit claimants don't pay rent or rates, so they don't have a need for cash. They certainly don't have a need for alcohol,", annoy me. I cant afford Sky digital, drinking is once every few weeks, and luckily I dont smoke
 
#5
Biscuits_AB said:
One minute you're disagreeing with extending the powers of the police to 'on the spot' fine these people and the next you're disagreeing with them appearing in the Magistrates. How would you propose that they were dealt with? It's already been proven that alcohol abuse costs the tax payer a fortune as it is related to so much 'street crime' and its consequences (i.e the cost to the NHS). British drinking 'culture' needs changing, but there are so many people making so much money out of it that it will no doubt remain the same for at least the foreseeable future. The Government need to clamp down on the cost of alcohol. This country is a f*cking embarrassment on a weekend. Not only that, it's bloody dangerous as well. Even when Brits travel abroad they don't know how to control themselves The cost of alcohol should be priced higher. The argument that it will hurt the responsible drinker doesn't weigh up against the amount of NHS money being spent on cases involving alcohol, be that on alcoholics or the results of drunken punch ups/any other drink elated incident. As for benefits, they should not be paid in cash. The should recieve coupons for the basics, i.e. food & clothing. Nothing more. A good number of benefit claimants don't pay rent or rates, so they don't have a need for cash. They certainly don't have a need for alcohol, fags or Sky Digital which they appear to place more store in. Some pubs have priced up their drink and it kept the low life out fo the towns for a while, but all they do now is buy cheap sh*t from Tesco, get tanked up in the house and then hit the town later on in the night. The supermarkets have a large responsibility here and they need to be forced to raise prices. Selling alcohol at prices less than mineral water is irresponsible. It's hammering the sh*t out of the NHS and the tax payer.
Good points, but how come the likes of Italy, France and Spain can have huge unemployment, cheap booze, institutionalised drinking etc, but still manage, on the whole, to avoid staggering around the town inserting pint pots into each others' faces outside the kebab shop?

I think the problem with British drinking is a little more complicated than that and has more to do with the 'Pub culture'.
 
#6
Howler said:
I think the problem with British drinking is a little more complicated than that and has more to do with the 'Pub culture'.
The way a lot of pubs are closing down that will soon not be the problem.

The pub culture has been there for generations in one way or another and there will not be an easy way to change.

One of the major problems, in the UK generally, is the availablity of cheap alcohol and the failure to prosecute the shopkeepers that sell to the underaged and those that buy the drink for them. The removal of their licence and prosecution would help in some small way.
 
#7
Good points, but how come the likes of Italy, France and Spain can have huge unemployment, cheap booze, institutionalised drinking etc, but still manage, on the whole, to avoid staggering around the town inserting pint pots into each others' faces outside the kebab shop?

I think the problem with British drinking is a little more complicated than that and has more to do with the 'Pub culture'.[/quote]

I can't speak for Italy or Spain, but France is not cheap as a demi runs in at 2.30 euros which is near as makes no difference five quid a pint, and that's for the cheap end, premium bottles come in at 7.50 euros for a 33cl
so not to be drunk in quantity.

Having said that the French don't seem to do the equivalent of white cider,
and the teenagers seem happy to drink soft drinks rather than get tanked up on whatever alcohol is availible, we came back from a seaside town on the Med and while the streets were packed until the wee small hours there wasn't the same feeling of is is going to kick off? It was cowded but good natured.

Bear in mind that virtually all the drunken fights featured on the various cop reality shows are filmed outside British night clubs (not cheap) or pubs. Makes you proud to be British. :oops:
 
#8
Chef said:
Good points, but how come the likes of Italy, France and Spain can have huge unemployment, cheap booze, institutionalised drinking etc, but still manage, on the whole, to avoid staggering around the town inserting pint pots into each others' faces outside the kebab shop?

Hanging around being a drunken mong in the town centre in most countries in Europe will result in you and the local EuroPLod having stern words, a night in the cells, followed by a walk on part at 10am in the local court for sentencing, and no, wailing to the Judge that the nasty EuroPlod gave you a busted lip with their nightstick for giving them some lip won't cut it either.
 
#9
Shut the nightclubs.
 
#10
Chef, you might want to check out THIS site. Of course bottled beer is generally dearer than draught.

The Frog kids are introduced to alcohol at a very early age as many will drink wine with their meals. Cider is available in VAST quantities and as cider is for drinking and not for seeing if it matches the curtains, I don't suppose anybody cares that it isn't 'white'. I know I don't.

I live in very rural area and can't speak for the more metropolitan areas but here drink is freely available, even at eight in the morning when you pick up the bread but apart from one party a few doors down, we've had no problems with noise, vandalism or other drink related activities.

Mind you, I'm generally too pissed to notice. :wink:
 
#11
mistersoft said:
Chef, you might want to check out THIS site. Of course bottled beer is generally dearer than draught.

The Frog kids are introduced to alcohol at a very early age as many will drink wine with their meals. Cider is available in VAST quantities and as cider is for drinking and not for seeing if it matches the curtains, I don't suppose anybody cares that it isn't 'white'. I know I don't.

I live in very rural area and can't speak for the more metropolitan areas but here drink is freely available, even at eight in the morning when you pick up the bread but apart from one party a few doors down, we've had no problems with noise, vandalism or other drink related activities.

Mind you, I'm generally too pissed to notice. :wink:

The more I read about France, the more I like the place.

Sounds like an option when I retire from this Septic Isle. :)
 
#12
Oil_Slick said:
The more I read about France, the more I like the place.

Sounds like an option when I retire from this Septic Isle. :)
There's a house for sale in our street, fully done up, with land, Bar Tabac two minute walk.

80k (euros)
 
#13
mistersoft said:
Oil_Slick said:
The more I read about France, the more I like the place.

Sounds like an option when I retire from this Septic Isle. :)
There's a house for sale in our street, fully done up, with land, Bar Tabac two minute walk.

80k (euros)

Bloody hell! I could sell my place and have 200K Euro left over! 8O

Which bit of France do you live in?
 
#14
Oil_Slick said:
mistersoft said:
Oil_Slick said:
The more I read about France, the more I like the place.

Sounds like an option when I retire from this Septic Isle. :)
There's a house for sale in our street, fully done up, with land, Bar Tabac two minute walk.

80k (euros)

Bloody hell! I could sell my place and have 200K Euro left over! 8O

Which bit of France do you live in?
PM sent.
 
#15
mistersoft said:
Chef, you might want to check out THIS site. Of course bottled beer is generally dearer than draught.

The Frog kids are introduced to alcohol at a very early age as many will drink wine with their meals. Cider is available in VAST quantities and as cider is for drinking and not for seeing if it matches the curtains, I don't suppose anybody cares that it isn't 'white'. I know I don't.

I live in very rural area and can't speak for the more metropolitan areas but here drink is freely available, even at eight in the morning when you pick up the bread but apart from one party a few doors down, we've had no problems with noise, vandalism or other drink related activities.

Mind you, I'm generally too pissed to notice. :wink:
Cheers for that, "white cider" is the industrial stuff that keeps the great unwashed outside, and unwashed, it usually cost less than a pound for 50cl and it is freely availible from your local corner shop.

French cider is excellent but why do they drink it from bowls? When we've asked the response has generally been along the lines of
"Because we do" Gallic shrug.

I agree that the opening hours are civilised, what better sight than coming down for breakfast and seeing the postman, local cop and owner having a little pick me up before starting the day's work?

France what's not to like? :D
 
#16
Positive Behaviour Intervention Courses
Anybody found out what these courses entail?

Still, who cares as long as there's a pub down the road.
 
#17
mistersoft said:
Positive Behaviour Intervention Courses
Anybody found out what these courses entail?

Still, who cares as long as there's a pub down the road.

French Positive Behaviour Intervention… :wink:

 
#18
Looks as though they mean business.

Mind you, some of those tea dances can get quite rowdy.
 
#19
People in England and Wales who commit crimes or behave anti-socially while drunk could now face upto 48 hours in the drunk tank".

Under powers coming into force on Monday, police can bang the little sh1ts up for up to 48 hours, providing they have 3 or more coppers seeing it and prefereably backed up by personal or static CCTV. Less coppers may be used if certain witnesses come forward.. particularly landlords and taxi, bus drivers drivers.

Statements will be simplified.

A Magistrates will visit the drunk tank daily, review and then bang them up or up to one month in a tented and wired detention area or "Booze barracks".

Detention begins immediatly, the drunkard will be given the option not only to plead "guilty or not guilty" but also to "accept the award or take it further".

Accomodation will be charged at the nationwide rate as per all other prison beds. Feeding is PAYD
I have it on good authority these people wont give a sh1t about an ASBO, but they will have their riddled minds focused by a bit of time in the cell and denial of booze.
 
#20
mistersoft said:
Oil_Slick said:
The more I read about France, the more I like the place.

Sounds like an option when I retire from this Septic Isle. :)
There's a house for sale in our street, fully done up, with land, Bar Tabac two minute walk.

80k (euros)
Any pics of said house mate?
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MEGGER_MAN Royal Signals 35
sniperbird The NAAFI Bar 134
C The NAAFI Bar 14

Similar threads

Latest Threads