Youre Drunk! Have an ASBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Aug 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Somehow,I cant see this working,It's going to mean the Police & Courts clogged up even more dealing with repeat offenders & hardcore pishheads.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8227236.stm

2. Allow me to reword this bit.

Magistrates can and will ban them from pubs, bars and off-licences. More than likely for about 6 months but probably less due to the new lefty sentencing guidelines which imply that punishment is unfair on the offender. Anyone who breaches this order faces being arrested, wasting more of the precious little time police officers have to investigate crimes. They then face being bailed (re-bailed) and then being put before a court where they will be reminded of their Order and given a bloody good 3 minute telling off. They will then be fined a portion of the court costs that will be deducted from their benefits (which you pay not them) at no more than £1.87 a month.

That'll learn em :roll:

3. One minute you're disagreeing with extending the powers of the police to 'on the spot' fine these people and the next you're disagreeing with them appearing in the Magistrates. How would you propose that they were dealt with? It's already been proven that alcohol abuse costs the tax payer a fortune as it is related to so much 'street crime' and its consequences (i.e the cost to the NHS). British drinking 'culture' needs changing, but there are so many people making so much money out of it that it will no doubt remain the same for at least the foreseeable future. The Government need to clamp down on the cost of alcohol. This country is a f*cking embarrassment on a weekend. Not only that, it's bloody dangerous as well. Even when Brits travel abroad they don't know how to control themselves The cost of alcohol should be priced higher. The argument that it will hurt the responsible drinker doesn't weigh up against the amount of NHS money being spent on cases involving alcohol, be that on alcoholics or the results of drunken punch ups/any other drink elated incident. As for benefits, they should not be paid in cash. The should recieve coupons for the basics, i.e. food & clothing. Nothing more. A good number of benefit claimants don't pay rent or rates, so they don't have a need for cash. They certainly don't have a need for alcohol, fags or Sky Digital which they appear to place more store in. Some pubs have priced up their drink and it kept the low life out fo the towns for a while, but all they do now is buy cheap sh*t from Tesco, get tanked up in the house and then hit the town later on in the night. The supermarkets have a large responsibility here and they need to be forced to raise prices. Selling alcohol at prices less than mineral water is irresponsible. It's hammering the sh*t out of the NHS and the tax payer.

4. Biscuits
    Are you saying that all benefit claimants should be punished for the crime of being out of work? That is what your comment reads like to me. I am disabled and have just recently started to claim benefits. Im not happy about it, and comments like
    "As for benefits, they should not be paid in cash. The should recieve coupons for the basics, i.e. food & clothing. Nothing more. A good number of benefit claimants don't pay rent or rates, so they don't have a need for cash. They certainly don't have a need for alcohol,", annoy me. I cant afford Sky digital, drinking is once every few weeks, and luckily I dont smoke

5. Good points, but how come the likes of Italy, France and Spain can have huge unemployment, cheap booze, institutionalised drinking etc, but still manage, on the whole, to avoid staggering around the town inserting pint pots into each others' faces outside the kebab shop?

I think the problem with British drinking is a little more complicated than that and has more to do with the 'Pub culture'.

6. The way a lot of pubs are closing down that will soon not be the problem.

The pub culture has been there for generations in one way or another and there will not be an easy way to change.

One of the major problems, in the UK generally, is the availablity of cheap alcohol and the failure to prosecute the shopkeepers that sell to the underaged and those that buy the drink for them. The removal of their licence and prosecution would help in some small way.

7. Good points, but how come the likes of Italy, France and Spain can have huge unemployment, cheap booze, institutionalised drinking etc, but still manage, on the whole, to avoid staggering around the town inserting pint pots into each others' faces outside the kebab shop?

I think the problem with British drinking is a little more complicated than that and has more to do with the 'Pub culture'.[/quote]

I can't speak for Italy or Spain, but France is not cheap as a demi runs in at 2.30 euros which is near as makes no difference five quid a pint, and that's for the cheap end, premium bottles come in at 7.50 euros for a 33cl
    so not to be drunk in quantity.

Having said that the French don't seem to do the equivalent of white cider,
    and the teenagers seem happy to drink soft drinks rather than get tanked up on whatever alcohol is availible, we came back from a seaside town on the Med and while the streets were packed until the wee small hours there wasn't the same feeling of is is going to kick off? It was cowded but good natured.

Bear in mind that virtually all the drunken fights featured on the various cop reality shows are filmed outside British night clubs (not cheap) or pubs. Makes you proud to be British. :oops:

8. Hanging around being a drunken mong in the town centre in most countries in Europe will result in you and the local EuroPLod having stern words, a night in the cells, followed by a walk on part at 10am in the local court for sentencing, and no, wailing to the Judge that the nasty EuroPlod gave you a busted lip with their nightstick for giving them some lip won't cut it either.

9. Shut the nightclubs.

10. Chef, you might want to check out THIS site. Of course bottled beer is generally dearer than draught.

The Frog kids are introduced to alcohol at a very early age as many will drink wine with their meals. Cider is available in VAST quantities and as cider is for drinking and not for seeing if it matches the curtains, I don't suppose anybody cares that it isn't 'white'. I know I don't.

I live in very rural area and can't speak for the more metropolitan areas but here drink is freely available, even at eight in the morning when you pick up the bread but apart from one party a few doors down, we've had no problems with noise, vandalism or other drink related activities.

Mind you, I'm generally too pissed to notice. :wink:

11. The more I read about France, the more I like the place.

Sounds like an option when I retire from this Septic Isle. :)

12. There's a house for sale in our street, fully done up, with land, Bar Tabac two minute walk.

80k (euros)

13. Bloody hell! I could sell my place and have 200K Euro left over! 8O

Which bit of France do you live in?

14. PM sent.

15. Cheers for that, "white cider" is the industrial stuff that keeps the great unwashed outside, and unwashed, it usually cost less than a pound for 50cl and it is freely availible from your local corner shop.

French cider is excellent but why do they drink it from bowls? When we've asked the response has generally been along the lines of
    "Because we do" Gallic shrug.

I agree that the opening hours are civilised, what better sight than coming down for breakfast and seeing the postman, local cop and owner having a little pick me up before starting the day's work?

France what's not to like? :D