"You're a poo-poo head!"..."No, you're a poo-poo head" - Sticky for handbag swinging

Which parts of "not being bound by the EU - economically, legislatively, or politically" do you feel have not been put into effect?
You misunderstand / I've not been clear enough.

What has been put into effect, what actual benefits have we enjoyed since we left, that came about simply because we have left?

Last edited:
I thought it was Belgium, but the UK had no other choice than to go through the EU's rules of procurement at the time.

Isn't it excellent that we're no longer shackled to this kind of nonsense?
Your passport was made in the EU.

Naturally you'll pretend not to note the delicious irony.

You misunderstand.

What has been put into effect, what actual benefits have we enjoyed since we left, that came about simply because we have left?
The benefits are as I laid them out; the ability to legislate and trade without having to reach consensus with disparate economies. That will bring long term benefits, rather than instant gratification. Again, you keep asking the wrong question.

As a side note, despite all the noise about what we can no longer do, one of the daughters friends started a job in Germany last month. Impossible, I know, but there you are.

The benefits are as I laid them out; the ability to legislate and trade without having to reach consensus with disparate economies. That will bring long term benefits, rather than instant gratification. Again, you keep asking the wrong question.

As a side note, despite all the noise about what we can no longer do, one of the daughters friends started a job in Germany last month. Impossible, I know, but there you are.
We have always been able to legislate without reference to the EU

Likewise trade.

I'm not asking the wrong questions at all. I'm asking questions you don't want to see.

It's not impossible to get a job in an EU nation, just considerably more difficult.

You seem to be extremely confused as to the benefits of leaving.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
He's RAF, mate.

What else do you need to know?

You'll be telling me there's some decent Germans next.

I knew a couple of nice Germans*. until they found out about each other. then they were quite antisocial about the whole thing.

they did not behave the way such women do in German "documentaries"

*barmaids

We have always been able to legislate without reference to the EU

That's simply untrue. We have been able to legislate in *some areas* without reference.

Likewise trade.

Again, untrue for the same reason above.

I'm not asking the wrong questions at all. I'm asking questions you don't want to see.

No, I understand your question, you don't like the answer.

It's not impossible to get a job in an EU nation, just considerably more difficult.

It may be more difficult, it is not "considerably more difficult". That is hyperbole.

You seem to be extremely confused as to the benefits of leaving.

Not at all - I have pointed out there are no instant benefits. Again, you don't like my answer so you are mischaracterising it.

Let me explain another way:

Many years ago, back at the dawn of DVDs, I joined a DVD club. You will be aware of the kind - similar to the CD clubs before them. Cheaper DVDs from the selection they have.

After a while I cancelled my membership, as it no longer suited me.

What were the benefits of leaving the club? I didn't get discounted DVDs any more. I couldn't take advantage of their special offers. All these were negatives. Why did I leave?

I left because being a member no longer suited me, not because I got something extra for leaving.

Your questions are the kind of communication everyone gets from a cancellation department - desperate to keep the money flowing in.

Have you never cancelled a subscription or a membership to anything? If you did, why, you lost all those benefits and gained what?

Before you reply with "yes but". I'm not claiming this is an exact comparison, but simply an explanation that if you simply based decisions on whether you lose a benefit, no one would ever leave anything. Life isn't about that in the real world.

I don't think you and I will ever see eye to eye. You simply cannot understand that leaving the EU was the action, the reason and the benefit at the same time.

That's simply untrue. We have been able to legislate in *some areas* without reference.

Again, untrue for the same reason above.

No, I understand your question, you don't like the answer.

It may be more difficult, it is not "considerably more difficult". That is hyperbole.

Not at all - I have pointed out there are no instant benefits. Again, you don't like my answer so you are mischaracterising it.

Let me explain another way:

Many years ago, back at the dawn of DVDs, I joined a DVD club. You will be aware of the kind - similar to the CD clubs before them. Cheaper DVDs from the selection they have.

After a while I cancelled my membership, as it no longer suited me.

What were the benefits of leaving the club? I didn't get discounted DVDs any more. I couldn't take advantage of their special offers. All these were negatives. Why did I leave?

I left because being a member no longer suited me, not because I got something extra for leaving.

Your questions are the kind of communication everyone gets from a cancellation department - desperate to keep the money flowing in.

Have you never cancelled a subscription or a membership to anything? If you did, why, you lost all those benefits and gained what?

Before you reply with "yes but". I'm not claiming this is an exact comparison, but simply an explanation that if you simply based decisions on whether you lose a benefit, no one would ever leave anything. Life isn't about that in the real world.

I don't think you and I will ever see eye to eye. You simply cannot understand that leaving the EU was the action, the reason and the benefit at the same time.
It's not me that doesn't understand.

I've raised a number of points and, like all True Believers you've dismissed them out of hand.

The merest possibility that Brexit might not be the totally perfect Utopia you'd like it to be is a concept you dare not even admit to considering.

It's not me that doesn't understand.

It is. Really. I understand what some of the disadvantages of leaving are. You can't understand that some of the benefits are not things you can hold.

I've raised a number of points and, like all True Believers you've dismissed them out of hand.

I'm not a true believer, and haven't dismissed them out of hand.

The merest possibility that Brexit might not be the totally perfect Utopia you'd like it to be is a concept you dare not even admit to considering.

Show me where I have said Brexit is a Utopia and there are no disadvantages. I haven't seen you accept that Brexit could be a success, even if it takes time (as many who voted leave expect), so you make the same mistake that you (incorrectly) accuse me of.

Yes, I know we've left, which is why I wrote my post in the past sense.

You're firing on all cylinders today, trigger.
You're posting without thinking again.

Your much vaunted post Brexit passport was made in the EU.

I said you'd pretend not to notice the delicious irony.

It is. Really. I understand what some of the disadvantages of leaving are. You can't understand that some of the benefits are not things you can hold.

I'm not a true believer, and haven't dismissed them out of hand.

Show me where I have said Brexit is a Utopia and there are no disadvantages. I haven't seen you accept that Brexit could be a success, even if it takes time (as many who voted leave expect), so you make the same mistake that you (incorrectly) accuse me of.
You're another one who has decided what I'm thinking.

D

Deleted 100463

Isn't there already a specific forum full of threads for these incessant brexit posts. Can't we keep this one for letting people highlight how they take arrse far too seriously?

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
No Show Si had a pop at me in the thread about Kris's funeral?

I didn't actually see it, to be honest. I think I'd have ignored it, but it says a great deal about him.

Yes, he was having a sly pop. I'd just stopped work for five minutes that afternoon, saw it and reported it to save any verbal carnage or unpleasantness; then or after.

Happily, the Mods agreed and took it down sharpish - and my post below his which simply said 'Reported'. I've had my say and that's the end of it.

Latest Threads