Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"You're a poo-poo head!"..."No, you're a poo-poo head" - Sticky for handbag swinging

C'mon - even Bugsy, with his heroin-induced dementia knows that Methylated Spirit is purple.

That's white spirit - cheaper, more potent and the fuel of choice for Irish Gentlemen of the Road.
Like red diesel, methylated spirit (ethanol with methanol added to make it exceedingly unpalatable) is dyed purple. Clear Meths is available but I believe a licence is needed to buy it (think industrial users rather than local alkies though).
No need for meths to be dyed purple, that's just a handy extra. The surgical spirit you can get at a chemist is just meths with a bit of menthol type smelly stuff. Most modern ones also contain denatonium benzoate which is the incredibly bitter stuff painted on kids nails to stop them biting their nails.

Methylated spirit is just denatured ethanol, industrial methylated spirit (IMS) doesn't have anything in other than ethanol, methanol and a bit of water. The issue with letting people buy near-pure ethanol is they can get pissed without paying alcohol excise duties so a small amount of methanol (around 5-10% depending on which brand) is added to render the spirit poisonous. If you can't drink it you don't pay excise duty although judging from what B&Q charge for a half litre bottle it might as well be taxed.

If you have a valid reason for needing pure ethanol (various chemical analysis techniques for instance) then organisations can apply for a tax exemption and take delivery of pure stuff without paying excise. Never been involved with that other than occasionally collecting some so I have no idea what legal hoops have to be jumped through.

Dark_Nit

LE
Book Reviewer
Meths has pyridine added which gives it the purple colour and the smell and makes it toxic.

The toxic symptoms are very similar to those exhibited by a certain smelly Irishman

Pyridine is harmful if inhaled, swallowed or absorbed through the skin. Effects of acute pyridine intoxication include dizziness, headache, lack of coordination, nausea, salivation, and loss of appetite. They may progress into abdominal pain, pulmonary congestion and unconsciousness. It also has a narcotic effect.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
What is used for injection swabs? we were told by a CMT (Not Bogsy, for obvious reasons) that putting one under your tongue and sucking it was the equivilent to a shot of vodka - but more than ten in a short timeframe (IIRC 24 hours) could lead to temporary blindness...
One lad 'did' fourteen but I've no idea if he went blind because he was unconcious and I had an early-O'clock tasking the next day so didn't see him for a week.
It's not that we were short of shorts, the swabs were 'free' and it was something new to keep us amused for a bit

What is used for injection swabs? we were told by a CMT (Not Bogsy, for obvious reasons) that putting one under your tongue and sucking it was the equivilent to a shot of vodka - but more than ten in a short timeframe (IIRC 24 hours) could lead to temporary blindness...
Probably IMS or surgical spirit. Essentially meths without the purple dye.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
One lad 'did' fourteen but I've no idea if he went blind because he was unconcious and I had an early-O'clock tasking the next day so didn't see him for a week.
It's not that we were short of shorts, the swabs were 'free' and it was something new to keep us amused for a bit
Heroin, the pure stuff of course, so he won't have got addicted or suffered any long term harm.

Heroin, the pure stuff of course, so he won't have got addicted or suffered any long term harm.

Just a desert eagle and a bag of the pure stuff and he made it to Bagdad, imagine what he could have achieved with a crate of the pure stuff

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Oddly enough, it didn't trigger any CDT results - so I can only asssume the 'cheap as chips Lire' stuff is so pure that it doesn't get picked up by the labs, who are clearly only finding the contaminants it's cut with....

We did have visits every six - eight weeks from a CPN who had a proper sense of humour failure about it and banned the Med. Cen. from giving us access to any more swabs.... :(

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Where does that differ from the symptoms of normal alcohol poisoning?

I mean to add in that despite many many rumours, 'going blind' isn't a symptom

thats caused by methanol

I mean to add in that despite many many rumours, 'going blind' isn't a symptom

thats caused by methanol

Hmm the whole temporary blindness thing

I've had that effect from Mead once, admittedly it might have been a warning of Diabetes and come from the sugar content rather than the effects of the alcohol itself

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

C'mon - even Bugsy, with his heroin-induced dementia knows that Methylated Spirit is purple.

That's white spirit - cheaper, more potent and the fuel of choice for Irish Gentlemen of the Road.
Bogsy would never be so lowly, to drink such things. It as the perfect jack of all trades does It's own Bogsymore Dew with the finest ingredients in the mash, pre-used Greenwood's Plant Fibre Natural Clumping, Mouldy Bread and some pigeon droppings for the grain. Lovingly mashed in it's chamber pot, distilled over the burning barrel in it's hovel.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I did note that for (I think) the first time Herr Flammenkecks not-quite-admitted-but-confirmed his superior status as living in a HMO...
... Some time ago, one of the parties in the flats in the building we inhabit requested a smart meter. The problem seemed to be that all the meters in the house are...
There was also this curious bracketed comment in this very thread
...When I initially registered on the website, I gave "English" and "German" as my "native languages" (I know, I know).

Which reads to me as if he's uncharacteristically admitting to something he wishes he hadn't done - but seemingly rekindles the flames and goes back to full Flammenkecks mode...
At that time, there was a further possibility to name another "mother tongue". I put down "Irish" (Gälisch) and somehow it turned into "Mandarin Chinese". I've no idea why. I e-mailed the website and asked for a correction, but the answer was that they only had room for so many languages and they had no facility to include Irish (Gälisch) because it was such a rare language that hardly anyone spoke.
Despite it being listed as an actual language on the Leo site...

Bogsy would never be so lowly, to drink such things. It as the perfect jack of all trades does It's own Bogsymore Dew with the finest ingredients in the mash, pre-used Greenwood's Plant Fibre Natural Clumping, Mouldy Bread and some pigeon droppings for the grain. Lovingly mashed in it's chamber pot, distilled over the burning barrel in it's hovel.
Who said Krauts have no sense of humour eh? What are you like with sunbeds in a cheap Costa Notalotta hotel pool area?

Keep up the good work Herr Krautman. Bugsy O'Flammenbritches hates you and that makes you a good ei in my books. :thumleft:

I did note that for (I think) the first time Herr Flammenkecks not-quite-admitted-but-confirmed his superior status as living in a HMO...

There was also this curious bracketed comment in this very thread

Which reads to me as if he's uncharacteristically admitting to something he wishes he hadn't done - but seemingly rekindles the flames and goes back to full Flammenkecks mode...

Despite it being listed as an actual language on the Leo site...

He used to live in block of flats in Birmingham, now he lives in a one of 3 flats that has been converted from a terrace house in Nottingham.

Odd for such a jet setting success story that he is.

Bugsy's father was a nonce.

ACAB

LE
Come on Bugsy, I'm still waiting for you to explain your part in Op Corporate, you walting, big timing cunt.

He used to live in block of flats in Birmingham, now he lives in a one of 3 flats that has been converted from a terrace house in Nottingham.

Odd for such a jet setting success story that he is.

Bugsy's father was a nonce.

£300k per annum plus art and book sales and royalties doesn’t go far much in Hyson Green you know. A bedsit in a hovel of multiple occupation is about it these days.

Latest Threads