Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"You're a poo-poo head!"..."No, you're a poo-poo head" - Sticky for handbag swinging

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I once held in my hand a million rupiah.

Which equated to sixty quid at the time...

:rolleyes:

When I was in Angola a can of coke was 500,000 Kwanza, the USD was the preferred currency there, Somewere I still have a handful of 500,000 notes.
They've reissued the currency (under the same name ) at least once since then

200 Lire a week? Just how old are you, fella?

MsG

Hey Bugsy:

FELLA.JPG

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
On my first day at school, my gran gave me a St Christopher medal as it would "keep me safe" crossing the one busy road on my 5 minute walk. It's the only medal I've ever been given. Still, I'm one up on Bugsy.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, if he says it's not true, it probably is. So I had a look. And lo. He's been n spelling a familiar East German greeting wrong for eight years. Un ******* believable. No wonder he got shirty, the meltdown at Bugsy Towers must have been bloody epic when he realised.
I nipped across to Nottingham this morning to see his HMO.... I found this
1600594020154.png

That was some triggered meltdown :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Did you come in your shattered pants when you were in the Signals in Baghdad when no other bugger was there?

That’s not fair. He was CP to two RMP remember. With their L9s.

I was so busy concentrating on the RoE violation that he had committed, slotting someone for coming round a corner and giving him a dirty look, that I failed to notice the whole ‘Baghdad’ thing.

Sometimes the devil is not just in the detail, I guess...:)

On my first day at school, my gran gave me a St Christopher medal as it would "keep me safe" crossing the one busy road on my 5 minute walk. It's the only medal I've ever been given. Still, I'm one up on Bugsy.

Drifting slightly off topic
As a child in Hohne i got a medal for the dutch marches

As it was in hohne I doubt it was "The" Dutch marches rather it was a BAOR thing and the school took part.
I dont reacall either if we did the distance laid down - I dont recall more than 1 day** - but it was a full day

As such the medal (metal with ribbon poss red white) was probably issued by the Army (in which case @Bravo_Bravo Nah nah nah nahnah). rather than a real one.

Does anyone recall doing this or being asked / voluntold. I have no idea why we took part or anything and googles failed.

**It was circa 1983/4 I would have been about 9 - My memory as such is a little wooly

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Drifting slightly off topic
As a child in Hohne i got a medal for the dutch marches

As it was in hohne I doubt it was "The" Dutch marches rather it was a BAOR thing and the school took part.
I dont reacall either if we did the distance laid down - I dont recall more than 1 day** - but it was a full day

As such the medal (metal with ribbon poss red white) was probably issued by the Army (in which case @Bravo_Bravo Nah nah nah nahnah). rather than a real one.

Does anyone recall doing this or being asked / voluntold. I have no idea why we took part or anything and googles failed.

**It was circa 1983/4 I would have been about 9 - My memory as such is a little wooly
Sorry BAOR is a
1600595075439.jpeg

Induced blur for me.

dlrg

LE
@FourZeroCharlie

Not giving him ideas old boy. He's already claiming...

What he is claiming is that during his time in the Army, he was in NI 5 times (note times not Tours) and received just the one clasp. Sounds like a day tripper!

"Zum Beispiel, ich war während meiner Zeit bei der britischen Armee insgesamt 5 Mal in Nordirland, bekam aber nur die eine Spange dafür".

Last edited:

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
From a link Bogsy dropped on the Leo site...
My question may seem strange to some, but I ask "sottige Lüut" to consider that I am a foreigner and that I experienced the former GDR (1977-78) as a foreigner. ......... .......... .........
Msg

PS: I apologize for my nasty German.

And his first post there...
Sarli!

I am an Irish citizen (born in Dungarvan, Co Waterford) and have registered here in the forum for two reasons. I lived and worked in the GDR from the beginning of February 1977 until the end of August 1978. More specifically (or written) in the capital of the GDR. This was because I was restrained in West Berlin in the spring of 1975 to work as a picture restorer, after many years serving as a Sani in the Royal Army Medical Corps of the British Army and then completing my practical training as a restorer in Hamburg. In addition, I again moved from Switzerland to the GDR (on Cottbus) in mid-February 1990 and stayed there until December 1996. It follows that everything that has to do with the GDR is of great interest to me.

The second reason I signed up here is because I am in the process of writing a book about my experiences both before and after the turnaround. So to speak, as the GDR was before, and what has become of it. I'm almost done with it, but the work has now reached dimensions that far exceed my original idea of about 350 pages. The difficulty is that at that time (1977/78) I could never have imagined that I would eventually write a book about it and therefore simply did not heed many things that were self-evident for GDR citizens. First and foremost, the school system, for example, because I was older and i enjoyed my education in Ireland anyway. So there are some things in this respect that I just don't know.

I currently live in Nottingham, UK, and work as a translator. However, if other issues arise which I have not yet dealt with, I am happy to respond to them.

I ask you to generously ignore any legal and clerical errors, since, it is easy to see German is not my mother tongue.

Msg
A bugsy book? :eek:

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Also from that thread...
Bugsy wrote:
... on the Friday evening visit by an Englishman who, I suppose, was from MI6. Then on Sunday came an ami, which was probably from the CIA. But neither did mention which organizations they belong to. Both offered me a camera with which I was to make the picture. .... A few weeks later an Englishman came again, but this time with a huge batzen coal...

Bugsy, let's face it, if I read this above, I can't believe the procedure. I can understand that you want to cultivate your ideology, but it never happened so primitively and not agreed. Don't make the guys worse than they were. Otherwise it will fall on your feet.
He just can't help it can he?

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
From a link Bogsy dropped on the Leo site...

And his first post there...

A bugsy book? :eek:
He also *allegedy* wrote two other books entitled "Roadless" & "Backdraft" however he appears reticent to provide any further information on these.

He also wrote a book whilst in the GDR, which, IIRC then turned into a thesis, a "short tract" and then "an educational pamphlet" when questioned for an ISBN.

Interesting because my engineering thesis (written in 1990) has an ISBN number.

He has scattered references to his publications all over arrse in his earlier posts if you do a search.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Apparently he joined the Brfitish army at 17.... and got some shoes!
Perhaps this becomes clearer when I briefly tell some details from my own career. I come from a time when the Celtic Tiger didn't exist yet. The first time in my life that I got new clothes and footwear was when I joined the British Army at the age of 17. In general, we only wore shoes for Sunday church mass, otherwise we walked around barefoot. So I came to the GDR with a completely different world view. What I missed most in the UK (and also in West Germany and West Berlin) was the everyday cohesion and helpfulness of the people. But I rediscovered the properties in the GDR. And just as I experienced it at home in Ireland. This was a real revelation for me and made me immediately sympathetic to the GDR, despite the adverse circumstances.

Now there has been talk of the incarcerated of the GDR citizens. But I didn't notice much or nothing about it. Certainly, occasional requests were expressed to visit the West to see it. But that was not a constant issue. It was the same in West Berlin. One was aware of the wall without a doubt, but the thing was there and was thus incorporated into everyday life, without which everyone walked around with an oppressive feeling forever.

And how did I feel? I haven't thought much about it either. If it had gone after me, I would have taken the GDR citizenship and felt comfortable doing so. That was the plan, but unfortunately things have turned out differently.

My book is not intended specifically for former GDR citizens, but for people in English-speaking countries who have no choice but to assemble their image of the GDR from the very selective themes of the Wessis. I would like to present them with a more comprehensive presentation. A representation that also shows the people with all their peculiarities and peculiarities, and not only the political side of the country. With the book, I would like to recall the often forgotten fact that the GDR consisted primarily of people who were well versed in shaping their lives in such a way that, despite the yawning gap between claim and reality, they had real joy and a full life. This will certainly annoy some people, but the book is about conveying my personal (foreign) impressions, but points of contention are practically pre-programmed. I just wanted to say.

Msg

PS. Sometimes, sayings of the Swiss variety creep in with me. I would ask you to look into this.

Latest Threads