Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"You're a poo-poo head!"..."No, you're a poo-poo head" - Sticky for handbag swinging

NSP

LE
It would need to be animated to indicate the current state....
Like this...?

main-qimg-1dd318cfe1f778d2f4a8d4fc5924f39c

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
You mean the engineer supervising the test, Dyatlov, or the ambitious plant director, Bryukhanov? Dyatlov got sent to a labour camp for a ten stretch but died from the effects of radiation exposure before his sentence was up (no bad thing, some might say) - although he was released to die "on the out" when his health nose-dived. Bryukhanov also got ten years in a labour camp but is still alive.

Dyatlov was an arrogant prick who threatened to have anyone who questioned his orders during the test fired when things started to go wrong and the underlings had a better idea of what was happening than he did. The Soviet imperative took over and they bowed to his authority. The rest is history. Bryukhanov was Director of Construction before becoming plant director but, to be fair, the State kept hidden from him and his staff the known flaws in the RBMK design that rendered the belated attempt to SCRAM the reactor in the face of Dyatlov's ranting a moot point.
Well both actually, Bryukhanov initially claimed (to the local party officials & Moscow) that the reactor was intact but later said that he always knew the reactor was destroyed - counter to other statements from the time & his initial statements to Moscow. Dylatov was more 'guilty' of wilful ignorance, refusing to believe the readings from the radiometers, claiming they were broken (which knowing the standard of Soviet equipment was plausible) but ignored the acute radiation sickness he and others were suffering from, amongst a catologue of arrogance, errors and blind panic. Akimov also had some culpability - mainly in not exhibiting more backbone but the design flaws and incorrect documentation & procedures are what did for them. Still, without a lot of people taking brave and sometimes suicidal actions, it could have been much worse.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
OI! @DaManBugs do yer triggered stuff on this thread, don't ruin yet another one with your lies and tired old 'comebacks'
For the record, I know far more about Harden Bks. than you could make up and i've never been there either!
So you know far more about Harden Barracks than me. OK. Off we go. As totally stupid as the whole game is, let's start the stupid game. So, fückwit, ask me a question about Harden Barracks!

MsG

NSP

LE
refusing to believe the readings from the radiometers, claiming they were broken (which knowing the standard of Soviet equipment was plausible)
The recent mini-series "Chernobyl" is apparently accurate in its portrayal of them reading the radiation level so low as the instruments they were using only went up to the (low) level that they then reported. That the needle was bending against the end-stop peg was neither here nor there... Legasov rocking up with a decent metre from the lab at his Institute that "went all the way up to eleven" (as opposed to only going up to three and a half) caused a few gobby types to go very quiet and start shuffling their feet all of a sudden.

I'm given to understand that they wove in actual digitally-remastered footage from the time that the disaster was unfolding of the Mi-8s attempting to dump a boron/sand mix into the hole in the reactor house, including the one that got too close and was litterally "eaten" by the radiation, around the dramatisation footage featuring the actors (principle casting was excellent, by the by - Jared Harris, Stellan Skarsgard and the eminently lickable Emily Watson, to name but a few. The Irish actor Paul Ritter did Dyatlov to a tee, it would seem. A very realistic portrayal).

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
So you know far more about Harden Barracks than me. OK. Off we go. As totally stupid as the whole game is, let's start the stupid game. So, fückwit, ask me a question about Harden Barracks!

MsG
Were you ever there - in real life?

No lying now...

The recent mini-series "Chernobyl" is apparently accurate in its portrayal of them reading the radiation level so low as the instruments they were using only went up to the (low) level that they then reported. That the needle was bending against the end-stop peg was neither here nor there... Legasov rocking up with a decent metre from the lab at his Institute that "went all the way up to eleven" (as opposed to only going up to three and a half) caused a few gobby types to go very quiet and start shuffling their feet all of a sudden.

I'm given to understand that they wove in actual digitally-remastered footage from the time that the disaster was unfolding of the Mi-8s attempting to dump a boron/sand mix into the hole in the reactor house, including the one that got too close and was litterally "eaten" by the radiation, around the dramatisation footage featuring the actors (principle casting was excellent, by the by - Jared Harris, Stellan Skarsgard and the eminently lickable Emily Watson, to name but a few. The Irish actor Paul Ritter did Dyatlov to a tee, it would seem. A very realistic portrayal).
It's a really good visit - I went last year. If you go, do the museum in Kiev first as it really sets the context well. Here was my post / pictures of the place:

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer

I very much 'enjoyed' - if thats the right word - I was a bit sceptical as with most of these popular docu-series but having read the books, it is very true to the accounts from the time. The futility of the Firemen and the heroics of the miners stood out to me. The plant workers that prevented further complications by evacuating the hydrogen didn't make it to screen which is a pity but as 'nothing happened' its not good visuals I suppose.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, well Buggers, it would be: "Nichts für Ungut." and Fotzkopp isn't usual as an insult. It is more used by some really thick kids on the interweb.
To learn much imbecile, you have.
Meine Güte aber auch! Die Art und Weise, wie du bereit bist, dich derart an ARRSE zu verkaufen, nur um damit zu posaunen, dass du von einem britishen militärishen Webseite angenommen worden bist, lässt wirklich fragen lassen, ob du alle Latten im Zaun hast, Alter. Das nunmal nebebei.

MsG

Meine Güte aber auch! Die Art und Weise, wie du bereit bist, dich derart an ARRSE zu verkaufen, nur um damit zu posaunen, dass du von einem britishen militärishen Webseite angenommen worden bist, lässt wirklich fragen lassen, ob du alle Latten im Zaun hast, Alter. Das nunmal nebebei.

MsG
Do you speak German? You should have said.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer

MsG
Triggered much? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
That would explain a lot about the inhabitants of Dartmoor...

Latest Threads