"You're a poo-poo head!"..."No, you're a poo-poo head" - Sticky for handbag swinging

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt
I remember them being called 'DZs' by the Airborne Brethren but I can't remember seeing them elsewhere during my time in.
Sorry, you're right. They were called DZ Flashes.
Then the army called them TRFs and made* everyone pay about £5 each for them.

*probably not legal, looking back.

Last edited:

needlewaver

War Hero
Can anybody outside of ParaReg remember using TRFs in the 1960s and 1970s?
I'm pretty sure my lot didn't, I never had one anyway and that was 1975-1986.
We (the RAMC) didn't have them before I left in 2005, other than 23 PFA and 16 AA Med Regt.

Edit - the RAMC obviously have them now but not when Soldaten Genosse Flammenwerfer states he served.

Last edited:

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt
We (the RAMC) didn't have them before I left in 2005, other than 23 PFA and 16 AA Med Regt.

Edit - the RAMC obviously have them now but not when Soldaten Genosse Flammenwerfer states he served.
Unless @DaManBugs claims to have been in 5 Airborne Brigade?

If so, this would explain a lot, as no doubt he would have been parachuted into the GDR upside down, wearing civilian clothing.

The pin badges were to trade for food, were he captured by the local forces.

It all makes sense if you think about it...

Last edited:
You also have to remember that he is a skilled tailor who used to make all of his wife's dresses.

I hope he hasn't sewn any badges or flashes his son Stevie's uniforms for him [aka Mr 4 tours]. Can you imagine the embarrassment in the barracks? "My dad sewed them on for me....."

You also have to remember that he is a skilled tailor who used to make all of his wife's dresses.

I hope he hasn't sewn any badges or flashes his son Stevie's uniforms for him [aka Mr 4 tours]. Can you imagine the embarrassment in the barracks? "My dad sewed them on for me....."
His son, if he exists, no doubt claims to be an orphan.

And presumably just tried them on for size to make sure they would fit

The RAMC didn't refer to its soldiery as CMTs in Herr CMT O'Flammenkek‘s day either but that didn't deter him from applying it to himself when he went to work as answered the call for an experienced smiter of sucking infectious diseases at Nottingham’s QMC.

Ah the TRF, no doubt the keeper of the rolls @stacker1 can provide the link, but it went along the lines of " It was a joke they played on the RSM who hadn't noticed he'd got his on upside down" So up there as the usual unbelievable sort of thing, that anybody with more than 5 minutes service would peg as utter drivel.
@Dark_Nit is the keeper of the lies, he's just idle and I have to cover for him.

@Dark_Nit is the keeper of the lies, he's just idle and I have to cover for him.
I'd give you a funny for that.

He's not mentioned his daughter (Nina) lately either.

She's probably a highly skilled emergency nurse or something. It's a shame she's not a mental health nurse because she might be able to keep him under control....

needlewaver

War Hero
The RAMC didn't refer to its soldiery as CMTs in Herr CMT O'Flammenkek‘s day either but that didn't deter him from applying it to himself when he went to work as answered the call for an experienced smiter of sucking infectious diseases at Nottingham’s QMC.
He states that he uses it because the young CMTs he talks to (who?) won't know about MAs. Despite defence medical training being tri service since 1996.

We have a generation of CMTs who trained with and served with Navy and RAF medics, and who know exactly what's what.

I'd give you a funny for that.

He's not mentioned his daughter (Nina) lately either.

She's probably a highly skilled emergency nurse or something. It's a shame she's not a mental health nurse because she might be able to keep him under control....
He'd be better off with a highly skilled dog walker.

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt
Well I know for a fact that in 2017, Bugsy told his SWP colleagues that he lived in the GDR for 8 years, from the beginning of 1977. He told them he was spied on by the Stasi.

morsk

LE
Sorry, you're right. They were called DZ Flashes.
made* everyone pay about £5 each for them.

*probably not legal, looking back.
No they didn't. PRI shop knocks them out cheap. 80p? quid? Something like that. Anything other than that, blame the pri shop you got them from. Even ebay are selling them for £2.50.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Unless @DaManBugs claims to have been in 5 Airborne Brigade?

If so, this would explain a lot, as no doubt he would have been parachuted into the GDR upside down, wearing civilian clothing.

The pin badges were to trade for food, were he captured by the local forces.

It all makes sense if you think about it...
That's a good job you're here Baggy otherwise the rest of us would know fuck all, you boring twat...

Latest Threads