Your views on the bible

Stan_Deesey

War Hero
Mormon, for one. Rich American guy, did all his writing in gold.

Yeah, and in a language that never existed.
And he wrote it twice because he lost his first copy.

The Book of Mormon came much later though. The Apocryphal Gospels I was referring to date from the 1st and 2nd Centuries.

Mary Poppins was for many years the only film to get a perfect score, which is a bit odd because Harry Potter got panned because "magic", and I'm fairly sure the point of Mary Poppins wasn't that she was a trailblazing female engineer who invented the flying umbrella.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

And perhaps of interest to @Old Stab ,

Any sufficiently advanced act of benevolence is indistinguishable from malevolence.

Stan_Deesey

War Hero
The Atheist Experience is a channel is worth watching every now and then, especially if Matt Dillahunty is hosting.

This caller was particularly weird:

Which Bible though, there are many editions and translations in Europe changed the meaning a lot

It's all about as believable as a Harry Potter book anyway
I particularly recommend "The Wicked Bible".

"Thou Shalt Commit Adultery" is something I could definitely get behind, so to speak.

THE Codex Sinaiticus, believed to be the oldest surviving Bible, features a garish embossed cover and an endorsement from the Emperor Constantine describing it as a 'supernatural page-turner par excellence'.

According to the latest research by scholars and theologians, the Bible was conceived as the ancient equivalent of a Clive Cussler novel.

Dr Martin Bishop, head of scriptural studies at the University of Geneva, said: "In the early 4th Century there was a lucrative market for big, thick
blockbusters featuring complicated plots and lots of explosions. The sort of thing a middle-aged Roman could read in the spa or when travelling to invasions.

"The title is written in big gold letters that give a sort of 3D effect with the tagline, 'They thought they could question God's plan for mankind… They were WRONG.' There's a blurb on the back and some numerals which are probably an early ISBN number."

The Codex is inscribed 'To Emma, with love and thanks
for all the biscuits' and at the end has a series of short adverts for other popular titles including 'A Slave Called 'It'' and 'The Gladiator With The Dragon Tattoo'.

Dr Bishop added: "We believe the New Testament was a sequel, rush-released in response to the popularity of the original. Clearly it wasn't successful or they would just have kept churning one out every couple of years."

He continued: "Early editions are described as 'thrilling' or a 'tour de force' while the later editions are described as
un-put-down-able' mainly because you had to read it or else they would kill you."

Noted thriller writer and priest Rev. Bill McKay said: "Whether or not you believe the world was made by an omniscient celestial entity, in seven days and at a point in history shortly after the domestication of dogs, it's still
it's still a cracking good read.

"With sexy, in-your-face characters, exotic, sexy locations and a brilliantly original and very sexy plot, it makes Philip Pullman and his atheist polar bears look like a right load of old shit."

THE Codex Sinaiticus, believed to be the oldest surviving Bible, features a garish embossed cover and an endorsement from the Emperor Constantine describing it as a 'supernatural page-turner par excellence'.

According to the latest research by scholars and theologians, the Bible was conceived as the ancient equivalent of a Clive Cussler novel.

Dr Martin Bishop, head of scriptural studies at the University of Geneva, said: "In the early 4th Century there was a lucrative market for big, thick
blockbusters featuring complicated plots and lots of explosions. The sort of thing a middle-aged Roman could read in the spa or when travelling to invasions.

"The title is written in big gold letters that give a sort of 3D effect with the tagline, 'They thought they could question God's plan for mankind… They were WRONG.' There's a blurb on the back and some numerals which are probably an early ISBN number."

The Codex is inscribed 'To Emma, with love and thanks
for all the biscuits' and at the end has a series of short adverts for other popular titles including 'A Slave Called 'It'' and 'The Gladiator With The Dragon Tattoo'.

Dr Bishop added: "We believe the New Testament was a sequel, rush-released in response to the popularity of the original. Clearly it wasn't successful or they would just have kept churning one out every couple of years."

He continued: "Early editions are described as 'thrilling' or a 'tour de force' while the later editions are described as
un-put-down-able' mainly because you had to read it or else they would kill you."

Noted thriller writer and priest Rev. Bill McKay said: "Whether or not you believe the world was made by an omniscient celestial entity, in seven days and at a point in history shortly after the domestication of dogs, it's still
it's still a cracking good read.

"With sexy, in-your-face characters, exotic, sexy locations and a brilliantly original and very sexy plot, it makes Philip Pullman and his atheist polar bears look like a right load of old shit."

Based on a true story! A searing, imaginative, turbulent saga with a tendency to be long winded in places - somewhat spoiled by excessive depictions of gratuitous violence, cruelty and crimes against humanity.
18+

Last edited:

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
The Atheist Experience is a channel is worth watching every now and then, especially if Matt Dillahunty is hosting.

This caller was particularly weird:

Hmm. It's a bit like Mike Tyson beating up a toddler. And the one point where the caller (toddler) actually gave a valid refutation, the host just insulted him:

Tyson: "can God feel sadness?"
Toddler: "Yes"
Tyson: "Is God in Heaven?"
Toddler: "Yes"
Tyson: "Doesn't the Bible say there is no sadness in Heaven?" gotcha!
Toddler: "But the Bible also says even the highest heavens cannot fully contain God"
Tyson: "Cool story bro"

Seems to me like this is only convincing people who are already convinced, and pretty sure while the religious caller isn't convincing anyone of anything, the behaviour of the host is quite likely to turn any waverers off atheists. Arguing with the lowest common denominator is not a good recipe for anything.

This is why I grew out of this, it quickly turns into shooting fish in a barrel. No fun, no skill, and you have the same number of fish you had at the start.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Any sufficiently advanced act of benevolence is indistinguishable from malevolence.
Interesting idea, but having "mercy killed" animals, it's also likely that some definitions of benevolence are from the perspective of the "beneficiary" just actual malevolence.

I can decide that it is benevolent to kill a deer with a broken leg quickly rather than let it get eaten alive by dogs, but to the deer, my cutting its throat makes me pretty malevolent.

From differing perspectives, the two definitions are not mutually exclusive.

What if God is the bad guy & Lucifer is actually the Good guy?

We all know that the winners write History ,has Lucifer just been given a kicking and is on the wrong side of God's PR campaign.

How many Satanists have been nicked for child sexual abuse in comparison to Catholic Priests? If God is benevolent then why so many Wars, Floods,Famines etc..and just WTF was he doing making Pikeys?
A look at some of the Left Hand Path practitioners is interesting. There's a fair amount of tits and ass in Laveyan Satanism, too.

Interesting idea, but having "mercy killed" animals, it's also likely that some definitions of benevolence are from the perspective of the "beneficiary" just actual malevolence.

I can decide that it is benevolent to kill a deer with a broken leg quickly rather than let it get eaten alive by dogs, but to the deer, my cutting its throat makes me pretty malevolent.

From differing perspectives, the two definitions are not mutually exclusive.

Indeed. If Bloggs is allowed choice (possibly a benevolent act) he might kill Smith (possibly malevolent from Smith's part, possibly benevolent from Bloggs' part).

However, it is not that simple, because Bloggs and Smith don't live in a bubble and Bloggs' action may well have significant impacts either immediately on the people around them or much letter as the effects ripple through time and space (spacetime, if one wants to be pickyish). And who knows how those later outcomes will be perceived?

I feel the main problem with the Bible is that is exists for multiple reasons.

As others have pointed out, it‘s part tribal history (great man begat great man begat great man etc.) which cannot be proved.

It’s part history (such as the Babylonian exile) which can be proved.

Some of it will be misremembered history or some forgotten element of ancient history that the Israelites tried to rationalise. For example, within human history, sea levels have risen by 120m, flooding many areas that ancient man (ancient even to the ancient Israelites) lived in. Sodom and Gomorrah may have been a comet strike (which to ancient man would appear as being wiped out by the hand of God).

Some of the Bible will be spin and justification; Yahweh appears to have been a local god (every tribe had one), so being the one true God justifies destroying His enemies and stealing their land.

And some is law that, actually, make sense. The Ten Commandments are a pretty good start for laws to keep a society together. Plus the diet laws also make sense: pork is a salty meat, it increases the need for a scarce resource (water) and, for a desert tribe, a lot of unnecessarily thirsty people leads to conflict that could destroy the tribe. Ergo, not eating pork reduces pressure on water supplies, reducing conflict. And if you look at shellfish, well, having a bout of the runs after a dodgy muscle increases the risk of dehydration as well as presenting a health hazard for anyone in the splatter zone.

I do find it fascinating, but from an anthropological view rather than as a guide.

bloodgroup_o+

Old-Salt
A challenging **** with a disappointing climax.

Baron Knights walt.

Please give us three examples of the "lots" you mention, referencing the source/s for each. If you're thinking of Josephus I may as well save you the effort since he's proved himself about as reliable as Comical Ali.

What is you point in mentioning that Pontius Pilate was a real character? Xerxes, Henry Vlll and Michael Jackson were real characters - what does it prove?

Wait out....