Your views on the bible

Mech_Eng

ADC
Book Reviewer
I have tried to read this tome many times but never seem to get past page ten.

Is it worth persevering with it as I pretty much know about 60% of what's in there. I am in no way religious, just wondered if it was worth the time.

I'm not trying to start a debate or take the piss, I had the same dilemma when I picked up Homers Odyssey.

964ST

LE

Is it worth persevering with it as I pretty much know about 60% of what's in there. I am in no way religious, just wondered if it was worth the time.

I'm not trying to start a debate or take the piss, I had the same dilemma when I picked up Homers Odyssey.
Wait for the film, it is less effort.

Mech_Eng

ADC
Book Reviewer

Mark_Addy

Old-Salt
I'll get in before this turns into the inevitable. If you want to understand what middle-of-the-road Christians think (and are prepared to suspend disbelief and imagine such people exist) then read one of the gospels - 4 accounts of the life of Christ, 3 of which are quite similar and one which has a different emphasis. If you want the shortest one choose Mark. If you want more of a Jewish take on things (which is the culture from which Christianity emerged, and whose teachings still provide a context - more than a context, really - for what followed) then you're in the Old Testament, starting from Genesis (the start of the book) - but I would not presume to tell you where to start there in case someone Jewish wants to advise you.

Almost no-one, except a pretty small number of serious Christians who sometimes attempt the whole book over the course of a year - read it from start to end. All the main churches, including RC, use a 'lectionary' which selects readings from most of it over a 3 year cycle in daily readings - most church-goers only encounter the readings for the Sundays in which they are in church, unless they are diligent in daily readings. Not many are, me included, though I do my best.

Last edited:

964ST

LE
I'll get in before this turns into the inevitable. If you want to understand what middle-of-the-road Christians think (and are prepared to suspend disbelief and imagine such people exist) then read one of the gospels - 4 accounts of the life of Christ, 3 of which are quite similar and one which has a different emphasis. If you want the shortest one choose Mark.
OMG!

Wait for the roman church to release the unedited version.

Mech_Eng

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'll get in before this turns into the inevitable. If you want to understand what middle-of-the-road Christians think (and are prepared to suspend disbelief and imagine such people exist) then read one of the gospels - 4 accounts of the life of Christ, 3 of which are quite similar and one which has a different emphasis. If you want the shortest one choose Mark.

Thanks, although Monty Python did enough for me. Ill try that bit.

Instruction manual for those who need morality codified and written down for them.

Of course there are always the politically inclined fuckheads who take it too far in the pursuit of power and control over others.

Personally I wouldn't waste time reading it because I already know it has a lousy ending and the star of the show dies in the end.

Which Bible though, there are many editions and translations in Europe changed the meaning a lot

It's all about as believable as a Harry Potter book anyway

Personally I wouldn't waste time reading it because I already know it has a lousy ending and the star of the show dies in the end.

And wanting to walt as Brian so bad you actually end up crucified, that's just silly

Mech_Eng

ADC
Book Reviewer
A bit like Titanic when it first came out with Kate and Leonardo, Bucket Head at work asked how it ended.

The ship sank.

The Bible - I think I'd call it a "timeless classic" :D

C94D173D-7DB7-46D3-955A-43CC1B85CFFD.jpeg

85F1391D-E584-46FC-B48A-2FBF18F8AA3F.jpeg

When the kids were very small their mum bought a VHS of quite nicely done animated old testament bible stories. Some time after our eldest started kindergarten the teacher there asked the kids if they had heard of the bible, at which my son perked up and said "I saw the movie!"

Last edited:
A guide to the tropes in it.

Before we get to the tropes used in the Bible, it should be noted that there are several different traditions as to what the Bible contains; while most material is shared, historically members of religious groups have decided to include or exclude different writings. The Book of Tobit, The Book of Judith, the Maccabees books, and many others are included in some traditions' orthodoxy and wholly ignored by others' (as is the entire New Testament, for that matter). Debates about what's Canon and what isn't continue to this day. That's not taking into account the multitude of different translations out there, not only between languages but within each language—leaving plenty of room for cases of Lost in Translation.

The bible is a great example of a book written years after the event and continuously edited by people who weren't there.

I learnt from Raunchy Rupe - if it's not interesting by page three you might as well bin it.

Latest Threads