Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your thoughts/whinges about MJDI

MJDI is now being used by a large number of Units.

Does anyone have any thoughts or whinges about it? Any recurring Problems or suggestions for improvement?

Shiny

mso

LE
None at all. It's awesome (or at least a welcome step towards getting the right kit into the hands of the soldier)

MJDI is now being used by a large number of Units.

Does anyone have any thoughts or whinges about it? Any recurring Problems or suggestions for improvement?

Shiny

Today was my first real exposure to the chaos that MJDI has caused. Armoury check took forever, reams of paper all over the place. Quality storemen gathered round DII going "we didn't do that on the course mate". Trying to sign kit out to take away resulted in ridiculously long wait, a ream of paper and a promise that the issue is now mine for as long as I live. What truly pisses me off is that the migration team offered no advice on how to actually manage capabilities or even continue normal business post migration. The clown that actually signed off on using it couldn't have ever worked on the shop floor

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

It has replaced UNICOM, I would struggle to give anything any higher praise :)

It has replaced UNICOM, I would struggle to give anything any higher praise :)

Depends on your business requirements I suppose UNICOM met them, MJDI just hurts. An updated UNICOM with a distributed server architecture or heaven forbid an invested in cloud based solution would have kept people happy

Depends on your business requirements I suppose UNICOM met them, MJDI just hurts. An updated UNICOM with a distributed server architecture or heaven forbid an invested in cloud based solution would have kept people happy

All I hear is white noise ^~

1) The local printer spools to a regional hub ? and can take from 30 secs to 2 hrs to print off, if at all.
2) Astrid and MJDI are not compatible, multiple Dues appear when they interact.
3) Ammunition Matcons B1-4, C1-4, D1-4, appear as A1 and a duplicate as unserviceable.
4) Although you can search part of, or Full NSN, there is no way (ie. Oliver) to see what is details are.
5) Every 6 mths the Prints you keep change, so any LSTI will appear screwed and inconsistent
6) The waste of Paper produced every night for paper with nothing on it. Go on leave for 2 weeks, can waste 500 reams of A4

Last edited:

Army_Rizzle

War Hero
Square peg into round hole is my opinion.

Is you a QM? Ours thinks it's great too.

Nope, I was just trying to inject some levity into a dull Friday night ^~

MJDI, like a multitude of other MIS systems that have been introduced, offered so much and has delivered so little.

Despite the fact that we procure these sytems on the cheap, they are usually designed for other uses and are then bastardised by us. One of the major reasons, always, is the lack of training we give our people.

Whether it be MJDI, JPA, JAMES or any of the others. The are very few competent, never mind experts who are able to fully exploit these systems. Admittedly most user become very good at segments, but very few the whole.

We ultimately end up with so called SME's who have self taught (sometimes completely wrong) who then pass on snippets to others, or even worse boldly inform others that the 'computer says no', this then becomes accepted fact.

On any given day, a 'manger', if he was following every work edict and working practice, could be reasonably expected to log onto and update/exploit:

MJDI
Blenheim
JPA
JAMES
ODR
FISS
MOSS

Not to mention a plethora of other MIS, non of which cross populate and those that do usually do it badly!

Most of these systems involve small inadequate training packages or even worse DLP self teach/test packages and doesn't include all the annual DLP tests such as security etc!

Jack of all trades, masters of none is so apt to military MIS

Back to the question, for the generalist MJDI, is far easier (and more familiar) to navigate and exploit than UNICOM, we still have G4 'experts' that are woefully undertrained and unable to utilise/exploit the system properly. And like UNICOM errors made now in setting up accounts AinU's etc, will probably sit with units for years.

A bad workman always blames his tools, even if the tool is not great to start with :)

conjurer

Clanker
The inadequacies of MJDI started off with a very poor training package which failed to teach users how to use it. The course was taught by instructors who didn't understand Supply and hid behind the mantra 'I'm here to teach the course content not Supply'. This was then closely followed by inadequate conversion preparation from UNICOM by BOWOs who hadn't been correctly advised what actually needed to be done. Actual conversion was then undertaken by a non-supplier who repeatedly advised that setup configuration was a unit choice, not his, whilst recognising the unit had no idea what it was getting in to. Subsequent account population/redistribution was undertaken on a unit self help basis with limited guidance over the phone from a harassed / stressed BOWO who still had no idea of how to operate MJDI. ALL attempts at gaining outside assistance had to be from other units on a 'how do you do it basis' as the BOWOs were busily rolling out more and more units and too busy to undertake meaningful unit visits if any at all. Chain of command continues to kick out multiple 'instructions' which contradict each other, are at odds with what is happening on the ground and fail to recognise that numerous elements within MJDI don't work. e.g. Auditable vouchers, stocktaking, entitlements. Had a meaningful conversion course correctly trained the MA we wouldn't be in this position. Next will be the LSI pulling the pants down on units, undertaken by BOWOs eager to show that they didn't fail the unit - it was of the units own making!

So. Here we are with a pretty good inventory management system for which 'Testing' before roll out was quite clearly inadequate, as was MA training, unit preparation advice pants, and overseen by many layers of experts who had been inadequately prepared for the task. All this is supported by the failure of the contractor to provide a voucher on demand and the chain of command to recognise that the multitude of roles MJDI creates e.g. Stocktaking officer, provisioned, UAA is always going to struggle in a first line unit.

Last edited:
My unit had its first MJDI LSI last year. Let's just say it was more of a 2 way discussion and not a nightmare inspection.

And another thing, regarding the UAA struggling at a first line unit; having 2 RQs who embrace change and a half decent 1LO RLC SNCO means the burden and knowledge are shared. I know for a fact this doesnt happen everywhere.

My unit had its first MJDI LSI last year. Let's just say it was more of a 2 way discussion and not a nightmare inspection.

we where amongst the first units to adopt JAMES (1), our first ECI, when to pretty much the same as we knew more about the system ( and it's inadequacies) than the inspectors. This period of grace didn't last too long :)

Nope, I was just trying to inject some levity into a dull Friday night ^~

MJDI, like a multitude of other MIS systems that have been introduced, offered so much and has delivered so little.

Despite the fact that we procure these sytems on the cheap, they are usually designed for other uses and are then bastardised by us. One of the major reasons, always, is the lack of training we give our people.

Whether it be MJDI, JPA, JAMES or any of the others. The are very few competent, never mind experts who are able to fully exploit these systems. Admittedly most user become very good at segments, but very few the whole.

We ultimately end up with so called SME's who have self taught (sometimes completely wrong) who then pass on snippets to others, or even worse boldly inform others that the 'computer says no', this then becomes accepted fact.

On any given day, a 'manger', if he was following every work edict and working practice, could be reasonably expected to log onto and update/exploit:

MJDI
Blenheim
JPA
JAMES
ODR
FISS
MOSS

Not to mention a plethora of other MIS, non of which cross populate and those that do usually do it badly!

Most of these systems involve small inadequate training packages or even worse DLP self teach/test packages and doesn't include all the annual DLP tests such as security etc!

Jack of all trades, masters of none is so apt to military MIS

Back to the question, for the generalist MJDI, is far easier (and more familiar) to navigate and exploit than UNICOM, we still have G4 'experts' that are woefully undertrained and unable to utilise/exploit the system properly. And like UNICOM errors made now in setting up accounts AinU's etc, will probably sit with units for years.

A bad workman always blames his tools, even if the tool is not great to start with :)
Apologies for thinking the worst. However, at my place it is a case of possibly the busiest accounts and sub accounts trying to get to grips with a new system, with inadequate, a sub standard transition/migration process which didn't even attempt to understand unit requirements and a megalomaniac QM for the coup de grace. I'm a customer and I feel the result of all this.

The inadequacies of MJDI started off with a very poor training package which failed to teach users how to use it. The course was taught by instructors who didn't understand Supply and hid behind the mantra 'I'm here to teach the course content not Supply'. This was then closely followed by inadequate conversion preparation from UNICOM by BOWOs who hadn't been correctly advised what actually needed to be done. Actual conversion was then undertaken by a non-supplier who repeatedly advised that setup configuration was a unit choice, not his, whilst recognising the unit had no idea what it was getting in to. Subsequent account population/redistribution was undertaken on a unit self help basis with limited guidance over the phone from a harassed / stressed BOWO who still had no idea of how to operate MJDI. ALL attempts at gaining outside assistance had to be from other units on a 'how do you do it basis' as the BOWOs were busily rolling out more and more units and too busy to undertake meaningful unit visits if any at all. Chain of command continues to kick out multiple 'instructions' which contradict each other, are at odds with what is happening on the ground and fail to recognise that numerous elements within MJDI don't work. e.g. Auditable vouchers, stocktaking, entitlements. Had a meaningful conversion course correctly trained the MA we wouldn't be in this position. Next will be the LSI pulling the pants down on units, undertaken by BOWOs eager to show that they didn't fail the unit - it was of the units own making!

So. Here we are with a pretty good inventory management system for which 'Testing' before roll out was quite clearly inadequate, as was MA training, unit preparation advice pants, and overseen by many layers of experts who had been inadequately prepared for the task. All this is supported by the failure of the contractor to provide a voucher on demand and the chain of command to recognise that the multitude of roles MJDI creates e.g. Stocktaking officer, provisioned, UAA is always going to struggle in a first line unit.
Exactly, it was rolled out by 'logistic experts' that didn't understand software rollout, information flow or business requirements. It's hard to believe that it's the 21st century.

dkh51250

Old-Salt
It has worked well in the tri service aviation world, however, it does require a sound working knowledge of supply procedures. It would appear that the training aspect has been done on the cheap. Could it be that there are some who have a vested interest in seeing MJDI fail? The refusal by the Army in Germany to adopt USAS in the early 1990s lost them a superb training opportunity that would have made the adoption of MJDI seamless.

M-Jedi will be good when it is fully rolled out and the relevant persons have proper permissions.

Too many QM's and RQ's have the 'It's mine' approach and are now being told to let CQ's/SQ's run their own demands/receipts.

As long as it is policed properly, it will be a good tool.

Latest Threads