Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Your thoughts on civilians wearing military/tactical gear?

a lot of builders wear surplus because its relativly cheap and does the job, being a sylth lioke 18 stone I can nver get anythin millitary to wear . Although I got a 7th. cav hat an badges ye haw .

All 12 of our course "cash up front" (A bloody rare concept) me and my mate went to Silvermans in London and bought 12 sets of 58 webbing...... better than the 37 issued (Like razor blades when wet).

I work at a Midlands clay ground from time to time, it also has a couple of air rifle ranges . Often the air rifle shooters wear DPM, once saw a chap in head to toe in DPM, high black boots and a blue beret coming off the air rifle range with his precision shooting pcp air arms or whatever it was. Scope was the size of a pringles tube.. the whole apparition looked very odd.​

Dunno how this got to be such big letters.

I work at a Midlands clay ground from time to time, it also has a couple of air rifle ranges . Often the air rifle shooters wear DPM, once saw a chap in head to toe in DPM, high black boots and a blue beret coming off the air rifle range with his precision shooting pcp air arms or whatever it was. Scope was the size of a pringles tube.. the whole apparition looked very odd.​

Dunno how this got to be such big letters.
Admit it, when you saw him, a little bit of sex wee escaped didn't it.

Admit it, when you saw him, a little bit of sex wee escaped didn't it.
No not really, just thought it all very odd. Any one item of the ensemble by itself would have been fine, but the lot together just looked daft. There's a .22 range at the ground as well, none of the .22 shooters have to dress up to shoot.

No not really, just thought it all very odd. Any one item of the ensemble by itself would have been fine, but the lot together just looked daft. There's a .22 range at the ground as well, none of the .22 shooters have to dress up to shoot.
Don't forget Napoleon threatened the death penalty for anyone caught using air powered weapons.

I know we've had Brexit but you can't be too careful. Best to be invisible.

Shorts, PE, navy blue..... designed to ensure your kneecaps won't get sun burnt.... have to take 3 steps before the shorts take one...... ty Spike Milligan..... and QM(Gen) at Helles Barracks, Catterick , September 1974.

Last edited:
Back in the late 80's I and a couple of colleagues visited a pub/club in Edinburgh. At one point a couple of hte local neds walked in, one of whom was wearing a Mk 3 NBC smock (All green, attached hood) which he had oviously taken out the wrapper and tried to smooth off.

H elooked somewhat trendy until he took it off and found his pristine white shirt wasn't anymore

Back in the late 80's I and a couple of colleagues visited a pub/club in Edinburgh. At one point a couple of hte local neds walked in, one of whom was wearing a Mk 3 NBC smock (All green, attached hood) which he had oviously taken out the wrapper and tried to smooth off.

H elooked somewhat trendy until he took it off and found his pristine white shirt wasn't anymore

I was at Skool in Barrhead in the late Eighties. I thought nothing at all was odd with my choice of attire - jeans, sweatshirt, Mk 3 NBC smock and Boots Combat High. Head usually shaved to a Number 4 on the top, Number 2 on the sides. Yes, I was in the Cadets, why do you ask?

It's all changed now, of course, as all the kids I've seen from that Skool on the buses heading home and so on are in uniform. Even the Fourth Years and up like wot I was. I think if you showed them a piccy of me from the time I was in Skool and told them that they had to dress up like that, they'd have a severe case of the vapours.

Oasis had a lot to do with that possibly.

Screenshot_20210830-125535_Chrome.jpg

It's all changed now, of course, as all the kids I've seen from that Skool on the buses heading home and so on are in uniform. Even the Fourth Years and up like wot I was. I think if you showed them a piccy of me from the time I was in Skool and told them that they had to dress up like that, they'd have a severe case of the vapours.

You mean they´d start turning Japanese? :D