Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Your thoughts on civilians wearing military/tactical gear?

Airblade

Swinger
To clarify I don't mean walts pretending they've served and wearing medals they haven't earned. I just mean people wearing tactical/combat trousers, or gear from surplus stores. I wear a pair of 5.11's in daily life, and had a couple of comments asking if I was a police officer or in armed forces. I set the record straight, explaining I just find them convenient for the number of pockets and they feel quite comfortable when worn in. But I wonder if this is "looked down on" or seen as something to be discouraged by military types?

To clarify I don't mean walts pretending they've served and wearing medals they haven't earned. I just mean people wearing tactical/combat trousers, or gear from surplus stores. I wear a pair of 5.11's in daily life, and had a couple of comments asking if I was a police officer or in armed forces. I set the record straight, explaining I just find them convenient for the number of pockets and they feel quite comfortable when worn in. But I wonder if this is "looked down on" or seen as something to be discouraged by military types?
Wear what you want ,I usually wear a Tricorne for trips to the supermarket but I was never a Redcoat.

„Arrseless chaps“ if you get jumped „do not push back!“

Not my bag baby! But it Takes allsorts

1630012284488.jpeg

I still use Boxhead shirts for work. The original green ones rather than the flecktarn stuff.

Seems to puzzle eastern Europeans who abound round our neck of the woods.

The thing (for civvies) about surplus or tactical type gear is to mix it with obviously civilian gear, hoody, jeans or trainers, or in my case waxed jacket - all over camo top to toe is just naff, like double denim.
Not least because it might lead to embarrassing questions like "Are you a soldier?" "Err, no just a twot."
Personally I like ripstop trousers (pants) for general outdoor work or even just dog walking, the thornproof aspect and big pockets. (I do look like badly wrapped parcel mind you.)

Pattern 58 webbing is dashed useful for bimbling round the shops with the memsahib. One can stow ones pipe and matches and all manner of accoutrements about one for those times when she's trying on hats or something and one is in need of diversion.

I still use Boxhead shirts for work. The original green ones rather than the flecktarn stuff.

Seems to puzzle eastern Europeans who abound round our neck of the woods.
Used to buy them at a quid or two each, and dye them black.
Hard wearing, comfortable, and the right sized pockets.
And those parkas with removable liners were the dogs danglies for the cold.