• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Your stupid joining the army !!

Iv recently received my date for Catterick to join the scots guards and I was at my works leaving do last night after being made redundant and i couldn't believe how many times i heard ' you stupid bas$%&d' and 'why would you wana do that ?' and it just made me think is this what most of the British public think about people in the army ? and if i told them iv joined the army they wouldn't really tell me what they truthfully thought.

I mean most serving soldiers would probably not get told this kind of stuff because there already in and id expect most wouldnt give a sh%t , not sure why iv put it on here but it just wound me up a bit and just wondered if everyone els has had this stick when joining up ?

Develop a very thick skin, quickly.

skinnyjoe said:
Iv recently received my date for Catterick to join the scots guards and I was at my works leaving do last night after being made redundant and i couldn't believe how many times i heard ' you stupid bas$%&d' and 'why would you wana do that ?' and it just made me think is this what most of the British public think about people in the army ? and if i told them iv joined the army they wouldn't really tell me what they truthfully thought.

I mean most serving soldiers would probably not get told this kind of stuff because there already in and id expect most wouldnt give a sh%t , not sure why iv put it on here but it just wound me up a bit and just wondered if everyone els has had this stick when joining up ?
Tell your ex-mates to fcuk off and do one. You'll soon have some real mates :D

"Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea." Samual Johnson

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Punch them all out, get naked, stick a roll of burning newspaper up your arrse, stand on the table and shout

THIS IS WHY I'M JOINING UP YOU CIVVIE CUNTS - NOW FUKC OFF

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer

JINGO

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Its a simple combination of cowardice and jealousy. No seriously mainly jealousy, the thing is that the great British public at large have little to no idea of what Army life is like or how the army even functions save a few vague ideas lifted straight from what you will soon find to be the very inaccurate articles printed in the media.
soon everytime you proudly tell people what you do for a living get ready to hear "I nearly joined the Army but........(Insert pathetic excuse about dog dying,aunty got sick,was told was too qualified etc)"
Join you will never regret it for a second.

Probably just jelous cos ur starting a new chapter in your life and they are stuck in the same routine without the balls to do something exciting for themselves. As already mentioned you will have some proper work mates soon, stick with it!

only 100,000 approx serving soldiers population of 60+ million tell the civy cnuts to feck off

Then think in a few years, how many of those mates you would put yourself in harms way for

Get used to it mate, its happend to me lots of times with my so called "mates"... I just tell them to Fcuk off and at least I will have a life by joining the army instead of standing at street corners near the chippys and a bottle of cider. :D But seriousy mate, dont listen to them as other posters have said ther all just jealous of you :) good luck in the scots guards !

skinnyjoe said:

I have never been in the military, and I doubt they would accept me...not with my attitude, but please don't let people tell you its stupid....I think its amazing! You have far far more courage than me. I respect your decision, and I hope others will too.

Just do me 1 favour......like all the others out there, please keep safe....and good luck :)

Being very close to my handsome pension I think they are just jealous :p

Skinnyjoe,
As a young lad, you've only ever come across the lads from your local area and these are the ones you judge as mates. When you get to your training unit you'll find lads from all over the place who want the same things you do, and are prepared to sacrifice a lot to get them. Do yourself a favour when you pass off the square and get your first long weekend, go home and judge the lads your training with by the ones you grew up with...I guarantee that the difference will be marked and obvious to you! Civvy mates will share only a few funny memories, whilst army mates share a lifetime of experiences no civvy could ever begin to match or understand!!! As it stands, even now you're twice the man any of your civvy mates are, because your willing to give it a go and they are not!

Good luck in your future profession as a British soldier.

Remember what they said when you are....

Skiing in Germany, climbing in France, sailing across the Atlantic, parachuting in UK.

Getting upto £180 to spend every year on courses. Or the three £1000 grants (rising to £2000 after 7 years service).

Getting driving quals and other vocational quals, or getting training quals to instruct others.

Getting massive in teh free gyms available in the various camps and garrisons.

Watching the beauty of Afghan sunsets over the desert, listening to the chug of a generator on Salisbury plain as the wildlife becomes active or lieing in your shellscrape whilst a family of dear walk less than 10m away from you.

Or perhaps when the sh1t has hit the spinny thing, and there's 5.56, 7.62 and god knows what else flying around the shop at high speed.

Civvies mate, they're sh1t and they know it. That's why very few of them leave their comfort zone (exclusions obviously like that sailing doris (McArthur?) and a few others.

In time, when you are a strapping superman of a Guardsman, men will want to be you and women will want you inside them. And all you'll hear is "I could've, would've, should've". Now they tell you not to do it, because they want to keep you in their sh1tty existances. In 12 months time you wont even remember their names.

But you'll be able to remember the names of EVERYONE of your squadies for LIFE*. Even the ones that quit as you go along.

* I expect I remember the names of my Section/Troop from basic that was over 17 years ago.

maybe a lot of this is related to the danger factor other than anybody being anti army. i'd be suprised if the people didn't have anything other than a proud respect for you in your chosen career. I'm a civvy whose son is waiting for his start date and the respect you boys get from a very large section of the public and media makes me proud. Just look how many people have a h4h band now. Most of the country are behind its armed forces so enjoy your time.

skinnyjoe said:

When I joined the army in 1968 the generally held opinion by the great unwashed was that squaddies were too thick to do anything else. In my case it might have been true. But what they dont know - and it's the best kept secret in the world - is that joining the army opens doors to corridors that most people will never ever learn about. So just smile and let them all fade into obscurity.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Eyebrows of Doom The NAAFI Bar 543
R The NAAFI Bar 75
robroy The Intelligence Cell 320