Your pay day quirks and rituals.

Well it is pay day for the wife, and thus myself. So when this magical day arrives I always find myself at the petrol station topping off whatever vehicle I am driving. Then ordering groceries to pick up on the weekend like clockwork. Pretty bland but necessary, and definitely a change from the days of long ago.

So do you muckers do every pay day without fail?
Who the fuck has to wait to payday to do something, you bloody little pauper?

I don't know why they do it but it's eminently more civilised and fairer for the employee.
For employment defined as a certain amount of hours per week, paid on a monthly basis you are paid 12 times each year. But paid on a 2 weekly basis, you are paid 26 times a year.
Compared to your "more civilized" world, that means you are getting the equivalent of 13 months of pay for the same 12 months of work.
As one who is paid out of LJonesy's hard earned tax dollars, I'm delighted with the system, which means there are two months each year in which I receive 3 wages instead of 2. A great boon to those who have monthly outlay such as rent etc.
Your mathematics don't add up, assuming you're paid x amount annually you're no better off being paid fortnightly than you are monthly, let's say for argument sake you're on £52.000 a year, forgetting about tax just for the example, fortnightly you'd get paid £2000, times that by 26 and it equals £52.000, monthly payments you'd receive £4333.33p recurring, times that by 12 and you'll receive £52.000 exactly the same amount, the only difference is frequency

Last edited:
This guy...last weekend was back to school shopping.

We can't all be rich Brits with all the cash...

You could try working for a living.

Not something I would consider of course, but then I'm not a bloody little poor person.

You could try working for a living.

Not something I would consider of course, but then I'm not a bloody little poor person.
I did that Monday through Thursday.
Today I need signatures, and am in no hurry to collect them.

I am glad you are loaded, would you care to share? Being in the third world here and all, I am sure you have plenty left over to donate to Cledus...

Look, take it from someone who lived for years being paid monthly and for the last 15 years or so has been paid once a fortnight. It is easier on the cashflow, it's nicer and contrary to Javaguzzisti's reckoning, you get more buck for your work.
I still don't understand that idea. If you get an hourly rate then which day you are paid on makes no difference. If you are paid by the shift then the payday makes no difference. If you are paid a salary for a year then you will get paid whatever fraction of your salary.

I get that it would make budgeting easier as there is less money to spunk away in one go and less time to wait until you get paid again but I can't see how changing payday gets you more money.

Edit - it's like the old joke about the blonde who asks for her pizza to be cut into 6 slices because she couldn't manage to eat 8 slices.

I did that Monday through Thursday.
Today I need signatures, and am in no hurry to collect them.

I am glad you are loaded, would you care to share? Being in the third world here and all, I am sure you have plenty left over to donate to Cledus...
I was a fan of Bum Fights and Im quite prepared to throw 5 bucks at you and another hobo for a fight to the death.

Compared to your "more civilized" world, that means you are getting the equivalent of 13 months of pay for the same 12 months of work.
In Germany 13 months pay is standard. When I worked made it look like I was working we all received an additional months pay divided up into a Christmas* bonus and a holiday bonus. Now as a poor pensioner I have to do without, however HMG in its unlimited generosity does pay me winter fuel allowance of £ 200.00 in November.

*Might not work in your neck of the woods.;)

I still don't understand that idea. If you get an hourly rate then which day you are paid on makes no difference. If you are paid by the shift then the payday makes no difference. If you are paid a salary for a year then you will get paid whatever fraction of your salary.

I get that it would make budgeting easier as there is less money to spunk away in one go and less time to wait until you get paid again but I can't see how changing payday gets you more money.

Edit - it's like the old joke about the blonde who asks for her pizza to be cut into 6 slices because she couldn't manage to eat 8 slices.
You got it all mate, you got it all. And two months in which you get an"extra" salary also help the sense of buoyancy.

In Germany 13 months pay is standard. When I worked made it look like I was working we all received an additional months pay divided up into a Christmas* bonus and a holiday bonus. Now as a poor pensioner I have to do without, however HMG in its unlimited generosity does pay me winter fuel allowance of £ 200.00 in November.

Wow you get a winter fuel allowance, for being a pensioner??

You got it all mate, you got it all. And two months in which you get an"extra" salary also help the sense of buoyancy.
November will be a great month, the wife will get three pay checks right before Christmas! That does reduce Holiday stress.

November will be a great month, the wife will get three pay checks right before Christmas! That does reduce Holiday stress.
Does it also errrrrm put her in an amenable mood?

A friend of mine used to work for a train company. He got paid 13 times a year, ie every 4 weeks. He just aimed off to ensure direct debits would be met.
One of me old employers used to pay us on the 16th of the month and the Mrs got paid weekly. Having a stream of cash made us feel like millionaires. As if.

I can still remember pay days as they were in the RAF of the 70s. Once a week we had pay parade. An officer sat at a desk and when called out you marched up to the desk, saluted, signed for the cash, took it, saluted again and marched off. In order to get the cash the officer who got dicked for the duty had to go to the station cashier and draw the money, he was accompanied by two guards with pickaxe handles!
My last pay parade was in May 84 in Canada on detachment, we received LOA of $10.00 per day. This was promptly invested in Canadian Bud, Coors etc.

Latest Threads