Your pay day quirks and rituals.

Because you yourself said in an earlier post that the first week you live like a king then as the month progresses into the second week you're already heading into pauper territory, that's why I think your fiscal strategy is off centre a tad
Yes, that is how it works when you get paid once a month.
Once the bills are paid and the essentials are procured, you get to live off what is left. 30 days between getting paid can make it rather "fun" when life happens.

But I pay the big bills, the wife makes sure we eat and have petrol to continue the struggle.

Speaking of Pussar's. I did not know they made a Gunpowder proof. Thanks to Cask Cartel I have a bottle of that on the way as well as a bottle of Iwai Mars!
@LJONESY Pusser's, my little American mate. Named after the old RN Purser warrant rank - he who was in charge of the ship's food and (more importantly) drink.

Gunpowder, or 100, proof, is the strength that will continue to burn when mixed with a fixed ratio of gunpowder. Weaker and the wick goes out. 100 proof is about 57% ethanol. Cask strength single malt is about the same.

I have always thought it strange that 'mercans are paid every two weeks, whereas the rest of the civilised world are paid monthly. Why is that?
Lot of people are paid weekly some monthly, just depends where you work I guess. I was always paid monthly.

@LJONESY Pusser's, my little American mate. Named after the old RN Purser warrant rank - he who was in charge of the ship's food and (more importantly) drink.

Gunpowder, or 100, proof, is the strength that will continue to burn when mixed with a fixed ratio of gunpowder. Weaker and the wick goes out. 100 proof is about 57% ethanol. Cask strength single malt is about the same.
Well that solves that mystery.

So what was the daily ration for RN sailors?

No pay day rituals here anymore as we're both retired. Now so poor we've had to resort to the life of a pikey.

I've worked around US colleagues for the last 16 years, many of them were paid fortnightly.
Fair enough but what surprised me most was that they received a 'check' either at the office or in the post which they then had to cash. WTactualF?
Do you guys do this or is it paid into the bank, like us adults?

I pay a chunk off my credit cards (usually to round it down to the nearest hundred), stick some in my savings account, then the rest goes on bills, petrol and parking.

I don't go out drinking, I have a couple of takeaways a month, maybe the odd little present to myself (current obsession is Hanayama Cast puzzles. expensive, but beautifully made)

So what was the daily ration for RN sailors?
One eighth of a pint of 100 proof (2.5 fluid ounces). In theory diluted with two parts of water but it was always said that on little ships 'the water was awfully strong' - it was drunk neat.

Yes, that is how it works when you get paid once a month.
Once the bills are paid and the essentials are procured, you get to live off what is left. 30 days between getting paid can make it rather "fun" when life happens.

But I pay the big bills, the wife makes sure we eat and have petrol to continue the struggle.
I've been paid monthly for many many years, all my bills are paid by direct debit, any unexpected large bills are dealt with as they arrive and more often than not I don't even look at my monthly wage slip, I'm not even sure on what day of the month I'm paid

I've worked around US colleagues for the last 16 years, many of them were paid fortnightly.
Fair enough but what surprised me most was that they received a 'check' either at the office or in the post which they then had to cash. WTactualF?
Most places make direct deposit mandatory, but a few holdouts can still get an actual check.

My employer transfers into one's bank account. Up to about 9 years ago we were paid in cash - now that was interesting....

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Fair enough but what surprised me most was that they received a 'check' either at the office of in the post which they then had to cash. WTactualF?
About 1983 Pay Office 12 Armd Wksp was visited by Comd Finance 1 Armd Div. As office nig pay clerk, he turned to me.

"Corporal Alien, when was the last time you had an Acquittance Roll (cash) payment?"

I replied unhesitatingly, " February. "

"Aha," said Comd Finance, thinking " Gotcha! " ( We weren't supposed to just dip into the Imprest Account when there was still month left at the end of the money.)

"1976, sir."

He was so deflated.

Last edited:
Hey it is one way to kill us off on this side of the pond...legally.

Try this gentleman, it will take you to a new world...

Besides being the nice fella that I am, I plan on ******* a few people over with it as well. Being a British Spirit, will make it easy to sucker the sibling and a few mates into trying it.
I like your evil style. We could be cousins.

Some folks still get a cheque, these days most have it deposited into the bank. Mine always was.

A few years back, I was living with a girl who was monthly paid whilst I was fortnightly paid, her wages paid for the bills and mine paid for the social side of things (obvs, I paid into the bill side of things, but mine was more for day to day living, shopping, going out etc)
Yup that about sums it up. But it is nice to have it spread out, to deal with the things that pop up or the expenses that one might forget about.

I know. And I found out THE HARD WAY!
Hey one of my best drunk's found me passed out in a bath tub providing my many mates with a great photo op. That was one hell of a St Paddy's day... But on the bright side all I had to do was turn the water on when I regained conscious to start the recovery process.

Latest Threads