Discussion in 'REME' started by craftsmanx, Jan 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was wondering what was the oddest recovery job anyone else had done. I hav eheard in thepast of some really unusual ones. For myself the two that stand out are both aircraft related and both happened in Hong Kong.
    The first was a Canberra bomber that ran off the edge of the built up runway an dended up in the sea. The second was a Boeing 707 that ran off the tarmac and sank in the grass.
  2. Being pedantic here, but if both where runway over-shoots, then surely only the first one was unusual??
  3. NO one ran off the runway into the water and was a military aircraft, the other ran off the runway on to the grass and sank , two completely different problems,
  4. Well if we're going to be pedantic surely it was the canberra that ran off the end into the water that sank? The other one must have just buried itself a litle bit in the grass?
  5. got our recce mech guys to pick up and move an 8 ton ww2 airraid bunker,does that count.
  6. pup green

it could do with a lick of paint though.

whatever next will the silver fox find
  7. no paint,,,,,
  8. arf,done a good job..
  9. I had to pick up and move a saracen from elstree studios to silverstone so the northants police could do a charity pull round the track. The saracen had been made up to feature in the movie "Judge Dredd" and did right at the beginning. Oh btw, the pigs managed about about 400 metres of the whole track, bless all 21 of them.
  10. pe·dan·tic /pəˈdæntɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[puh-dan-tik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    1. ostentatious in one's learning.
    2. overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, esp. in teaching.

Or up their own A**e
  11. In the days after the shovel recce, and we had to use pota-loos, I was sent back to a old location on a Sunday (because the boxheads wouldn't move them on a Sunday) and recovery them move the porta-loos to new location.

Attached Files:

12. Maybe not that unusual, apart from the fact i went to recce it for a millionaire in the new forest who had bogged in a Chieftain MBT.

When i browsed the casualty, i told him it would need an ARRV to do it, he called me a week later and said, "can you operate a Chieftain ARRV?"

He had bought one for me to do the job, i went back and recovered it. 25t pull on a 3:1 compensated. She was in there!! i got a healthy wad for doing it too.... £700 for 4 hrs work!

13. The most unusual was the one the recy mechs didn't do as their vehicle was the one that was bogged in.

The rather incompetent recy mech who's name ryhmed with Hemorroid took his very very new recovery vehicle into a field and got it stuck. Various assets were sent to get it out but after a not very long period it was tilted over and had sunk up to the walk way round the crane on one side and still sinking.

There was mutterings that it would be left to sink but as it was the first of it's type in Germany they decided to get it out.

It took a detachment of REs and a lot of shovelers a week to dig out and then lay a perforated steel trackway to the edge of the field so that it could be winched out.

The very earliest unusual one was as a young Craftsman driving the BEME to view a recovery job on the side of a hill.

A 432 had slid off of the track and down the hillside, stopped by trees. The 432 that went to get it out threw a track. The 434 that was sent next decided that the job was beyond their capabilty so they sent a Centurian ARV to get them out. Unfortunately the hillside track didn't like the weight, gave way and dumped the Cent down the hillside and it was stuck against a lot of trees.

When I got there with the BEME it looked like the Cent had been hit with an a/tk missile, there were trees down everywhere and lots of people looking knowledgable but scratching their heads. BEME spoke to the Workshop and left, never to return.