Your military spiritual home?

Probably Whittington Bks, Lichfield. Where it all began...

One of our medics just came back from his CMT1 there and tells me my old block's not there any more. Sadness.

B

bokkatankie

Nurses home about 100m from Maindy Barracks, Cardiff. 2 things certain in life - death and nurses.

whitmos

Old-Salt
Lübbecke, early 70s.
Brilliant, friendly locals and Barre Brau, gallons of it, daily!
Have been back 4 times and it is still very much the same.
Not far to Osnabrück, Minden or Herford if one wanted a change of scenery for a night.

Where I started out was Arborfield. At the time (1979) there was a vibrancy about the place, Poperinghe was being dismantled , The old Beaulieu spiders were all but deserted and in their place was a new Rowcroft Barracks which was top class for the day. They were even building some new married quarters and a new apprentice college.
Last week I was in Bracknell, at a dog show of all things. I finished there at about 1 pm so says to Mrs Owl lets go a few miles up the road and have a look at the place where my Army career began. What a total change for the worse. Half of the buildings are boarded up, none of the fencing has had any attention for what looks like decades in fact it looks like the local chav residents have been breaking it up to use as firewood. The signs are all out of date, there are bollards in the middle of the roads, the grass hasn't been cut for years, the bins look as if they only get emptied once a month as there is rubbish everywhere and there is a site portacabin that doubles up as a guardroom.
To the REME Corps RSM or if different the Arborfield Garrison RSM I can only say please get your ufcking act together and stop portraying the Corps "Home" as an absolute shiitehole because that is the only impression it leaves to the passer by. By contrast, go down the road to Finchampstead and look at Gibralter Barracks, under the current stewardship of the Royal Engineers. That place has an air of vibrancy, the front of house buildings are well kept and in good order, there are Soldiers in uniform on the gate exuding some pride in themselves. The fencing and trees surrounding the camp is in good condition and there is clean proud signeage fit for purpose. Is it any wonder that the RLC and other Corps in the Army look down their noses at the REME when the standards of their home base are so non existent.
I expect incoming, but I only left 20 years ago as a WO so who am I to know "different".

Where I started out was Arborfield. At the time (1979) there was a vibrancy about the place, Poperinghe was being dismantled , The old Beaulieu spiders were all but deserted and in their place was a new Rowcroft Barracks which was top class for the day. They were even building some new married quarters and a new apprentice college.
Last week I was in Bracknell, at a dog show of all things. I finished there at about 1 pm so says to Mrs Owl lets go a few miles up the road and have a look at the place where my Army career began. What a total change for the worse. Half of the buildings are boarded up, none of the fencing has had any attention for what looks like decades in fact it looks like the local chav residents have been breaking it up to use as firewood. The signs are all out of date, there are bollards in the middle of the roads, the grass hasn't been cut for years, the bins look as if they only get emptied once a month as there is rubbish everywhere and there is a site portacabin that doubles up as a guardroom.
To the REME Corps RSM or if different the Arborfield Garrison RSM I can only say please get your ufcking act together and stop portraying the Corps "Home" as an absolute shiitehole because that is the only impression it leaves to the passer by. By contrast, go down the road to Finchampstead and look at Gibralter Barracks, under the current stewardship of the Royal Engineers. That place has an air of vibrancy, the front of house buildings are well kept and in good order, there are Soldiers in uniform on the gate exuding some pride in themselves. The fencing and trees surrounding the camp is in good condition and there is clean proud signeage fit for purpose. Is it any wonder that the RLC and other Corps in the Army look down their noses at the REME when the standards of their home base are so non existent.
I expect incoming, but I only left 20 years ago as a WO so who am I to know "different".
My last posting before I left the Army was HQ REME Trg Center and REME Officers school, the writing for Arborfield was on the wall even then and that was 84.

My last posting before I left the Army was HQ REME Trg Center and REME Officers school, the writing for Arborfield was on the wall even then and that was 84.
I remember there was some talk of this because of the prime building land but it died again in the early 90s recession. Options hadn't been decided on yet, neither had the LSR. I hadn't been back to Arborfield since mid 1994 where it still outclassed Bordon (not that it was hard to do) but to see it today it just looks quite disgusting. It never was a great place to be posted to even on temporary courses but I would have thought that someone would have made an effort. Still I suppose all those REME officers appointments created in the early 90s along with the RSMs are too busy running pointless REME Bns since then.

Vimy 'C' Vimy Lines, Catterick Garrison where it all began in 1963. 'Helles Lines' just down the road from Vimy Lines. Brings a tear to these old rheumy eyes as one swings through Camp Centre from the A1 when driving up north to Scotland to visit family. One also swings through Richmond, North Yorks to remember the drunken times in some of the pubs in the town centre, then staggering back to find a taxi to go back to Camp Centre, then back to barracks to sleep one's debauchery off.......It all finished in 1977 when one leaves the mob to become a civvy.

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
Dortmund well Inside Bar / Leeds Pub. Inside is now a car park, Leeds Pub still as it was in 1995

Last edited:
My short stay at Leccy, because Beverley has more hoors per m3 than any other place this side of Hamburg.
is the Beverly Hillbilly still a club?.

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
My short stay at Leccy, because Beverley has more hoors per m3 than any other place this side of Hamburg.
is the Beverly Hillbilly still a club?.
I heard last week squaddies are banned from the triangle. Maybe banned in principle but not enforced

L

lumpy2

Folkestone. Driver Training was always the best week of the year when I was in the TA many moons ago. Last week of the year (i.e. March), no bullshit or beastings, just driving. Couple of hours driving in the morning then down to the Little Chef on the front for second breakfast and unlimited coffee.

Got my HGV licence and many happy memories of good times and good mates.

Dortmund well Inside Bar / Leeds Pub. inside is now a car park Inside still as it was in 1995
Leeds Pub is still going and the Inside isn't the original.