Your methods to cope withdepression ?

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I too have f**ked knees. They don't prevent me from running, but certainly squats and lunging.

I also pay £46 a month for my gym membership (actually it's a health club with access to all facilities, swimming pool, Jacuzzi, steam room, sauna, tennis courts, classes etc, but I only use the gym & pool).

The logic behind it being, at that price I'm loathed to not waste it - so even when I'm having a particularly busy day, I'll still make the effort to nip in there and try to get my money's worth.

Try to work your muscle groups in pairs too, i.e. 3 x 10 bicep curls - followed by 3 x 10 tricep dips. 3 x 10 leg raises, followed by 3 x 10 dorsal raises etc.

One sure-fire, 100%, fool-proof, guaranteed method of making sure you're making progress? About 1-2 days after your arms / chest / stomach etc will be in bits. By day 3-4 you're ready to go again.

Forget about weighing yourself. Ever. And forget about checking the mirror. It's like brushing your teeth, twice a day for two minutes does nothing right? Nothing you can see anyway. But over a period of time it makes all the difference.

One important point; you can't out-train a bad diet. One thing I found very hard in the early stages was eating what I needed and not what I wanted. Breakfast biscuits in the morning, tuna salad for lunch with a cereal bar, two pieces of fruit and a packet of Sunbites. And a sandwich in the evening. Every weeknight for the last 18 months and counting. Eat what you like at the weekend. Eventually you'll get to a stage where you just cannot eat anywhere near what you used to. Less carbs, more protein. Your body can't store protein either so save the steak / fish for about 30 mins post workout to help feed and repair the torn muscle fibres.

The other important point is for it not to feel like a punishment. Change one small thing at a time rather than go full-tilt. 3 months later, change something else. Then another 3 months later etc etc.

I used to miss having a cold beer in the summer weekday evenings, so I bought some Becks Blue. The difference being I didn't wake up at 3am for an "old man pi$$" and have a groggy head next morning. Three months later I switched it up again for orange juice. Another three months and Instead of 1,000-calorie fish and chips every Friday I now have corn chips (150 calories) with melted cheese (400 calories) & jalapeno (25 calories) over them. Or sausage sandwich with melted cheese (500 calories). Most recently I swapped the mayo for ultra light and Canderel for sugar.

Oh and if you want to lose about a stone in one weekend, get one of those microwave chicken burgers that has gone out of date and put lead around your toilet in preparation.

Long post, but hopefully some of you will find it useful...
You should write a series of posts like this and make them sticky. Lots of useful info here.

Re amitryptiline, my doctor explained its use in pain reduction to me, she said when taken in low doses it affects the pain receptors making them more accessible to conventional pain relief such as parecetamol increasing its efficacy . It also relaxes you so that you get a better period of sleep during which the body repairs itself.

She may have simplified it a bit, or it might have been bull, (doctor not renowned for a sense of humour) but it worked for me.

To all those who suffer from depression you have my sympathy (if that is worth anything) and my hopes that you all find a way out of your present position to one where you feel able to face the crap that life throws at us all.

ugly

LE
Hope things get better soon.
Cheers physio has been great and I'm better than I was but its highlighted older injuries so it's off to an advanced practitioner next.
I'm hoping it will go away as I've had to stop shooting shotguns as its made me unbelievably recoil sensitive. My sons are sharing my gun on this years shoot. Oddly enough the one or two rifle shots a day I make seem to be ok, a different impulse perhaps.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
You should write a series of posts like this and make them sticky. Lots of useful info here.
I would but you know what ARRSE is like - someone always knows more than you.

Plus since I've never suffered from depression, on a thread like this, it's more likely to provoke the "who's this c*nt?" response. :threaten:

Plus since I've never suffered from depression, on a thread like this, it's more likely to provoke the "who's this c*nt?" response.
Just on this thread?

I used to crack one out when I had one of them episodes.

The voluptuous and delectable minx Theresa May isn't on TV any more.

I find coming on here and calling people cünts helps.

You bunch of cünts.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I find coming on here and calling people cünts helps.

You bunch of cünts.
Just stick it in your sig block.
Think of like an ongoing rolling prescription.

There are some self help/meditation books by a bloke called "The Barefoot Doctor ", I highly recommend them as insightful and down to earth guides for dealing with, well, everything, including the Black Dog.

Hallo all.

Apologies for the "crow" status - I'd rather not post under my proper account at this time.

I have been "fighting" with depression for most of the year now.

First off, it's nothing suicidal. It's this low feeling of ongoing "flatness" and tiredness (all the time) whilst trying to deal (unsuccessfully) with a number of issues:
- problems in a relationship (me). I've had nothing but support but it's not been easy and I'm now starting to feel selfish for this as I am dragging the OH down. She's in tears most days now at some point.
- Employment/financial situation is not great. Currently I don't seem to be able to do a lot to fix this. Trying to plan/think ahead results in just foggy thinking and no real clarity of thought.
- I've seen a therapist, at vast expense, not convinced it is the right one for me.
- Fizz. I am doing this and previously it did seem to counter any lows I had. At this time all it does is seem to offer a couple of hours of break from feeling flat through simply not trying to fall over from physical exertion! The "flat" returns after the gym.
- Talking. I'm my own worst enemy but I can feel myself distancing myself from friends. Trying not to, but failing. It's getting tiring burdening other people with my issues (he says, talking to strangers on a website...)
- Medication - I am terrified of medication and any long term effects/reliance. I've felt low before and beaten it, or so I thought. Maybe feeling like this now means I haven't?

I know I'm doing the right thing with the exercise, but is there a forum/chat where one can talk anonymously? The chat rooms I've found for people with depression are not right for me. Also, can anyone advise me (in general) if a short-term prescription really can help get ones head over the parapet enough to get some clear thinking.

Thank you all in advance.

Hallo all.

Apologies for the "crow" status - I'd rather not post under my proper account at this time.

I have been "fighting" with depression for most of the year now.

First off, it's nothing suicidal. It's this low feeling of ongoing "flatness" and tiredness (all the time) whilst trying to deal (unsuccessfully) with a number of issues:
- problems in a relationship (me). I've had nothing but support but it's not been easy and I'm now starting to feel selfish for this as I am dragging the OH down. She's in tears most days now at some point.
- Employment/financial situation is not great. Currently I don't seem to be able to do a lot to fix this. Trying to plan/think ahead results in just foggy thinking and no real clarity of thought.
- I've seen a therapist, at vast expense, not convinced it is the right one for me.
- Fizz. I am doing this and previously it did seem to counter any lows I had. At this time all it does is seem to offer a couple of hours of break from feeling flat through simply not trying to fall over from physical exertion! The "flat" returns after the gym.
- Talking. I'm my own worst enemy but I can feel myself distancing myself from friends. Trying not to, but failing. It's getting tiring burdening other people with my issues (he says, talking to strangers on a website...)
- Medication - I am terrified of medication and any long term effects/reliance. I've felt low before and beaten it, or so I thought. Maybe feeling like this now means I haven't?

I know I'm doing the right thing with the exercise, but is there a forum/chat where one can talk anonymously? The chat rooms I've found for people with depression are not right for me. Also, can anyone advise me (in general) if a short-term prescription really can help get ones head over the parapet enough to get some clear thinking.

Thank you all in advance.
Could I suggest getting your Thyroid function checked out as a lot of what you are saying is very reminiscent of when I was going through the same, I suffered for about a year before doing something about it.

Hi,

Thyroid is a good point. Get it checked.

Also, don't be so worried about medication for depression.

I was very reluctant to consider it until my shrink told me its purpose.

Coping with depression without medication is like trying to assault a position without the benefit of flanking fire.

Medication gives you the cover you need to close with your issues and sort them out. Then you can lift fire (stop the meds, under guidance) and use the good stuff you're doing already (therapy, exercise and so on) to get the black dog on the run.

Meds give you the clarity and (relative) positivity you need to attack your problems. You're already doing a lot of hard stuff (exercise, therapy). But don't try to tackle it alone when fire support is available.

Sorry about the military analogy from a soft civvy, but hopefully you get the point.

Do consider giving meds a chance.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
^Wot he said.

Some people have to stay on meds for life.

Well, so what!? Lots of people with a physical illness need to take meds permanently to keep them well - it's all just medicine!

Granted, some meds may take a while to kick in, some may make you feel a bit worse before feeling a bit better, but so long as you are forewarned, you shouldn't experience any alarms.

Latest Threads