Your methods to cope withdepression ?

Kimmi dear, I think you have missed the point. (You're not alone)

I have a stack of a dozen or so new books all waiting to be read, and all chosen specifically because they interest me.

They will have to wait until I can stay awake long enough to actually do them justice. At the moment I dare not put my feet up with a book because I'd not manage more than a paragraph before I zonked out.
Thank you for the invitation, I will definitely take you up on part of that. Though fish and I have come to an agreement, I only touch fish when it comes from The Fish Plaice in Swanage and then they wont tell the crabs, lobsters and shrimp where I am so they can get me (weird phobia issues with crustaceans - Haslemere Museum with its Japanese Spider Crab was an experience which has my daughter laughing to this day).
You are most welcome.

Dodi Smith is cool as anything btw.
I dont usually get much from gurly books written by gurls , but I Capture the Castle is one of my lifetimes most joyful reads.

Soppy, romantic fool that I try not to be tsk tsk.

Bring a poncho and some Hexi blocks for a brew.

During my darker moments I'll bimble down to the woodland climb one of the high chairs and just watch, watch for anything and everything that nature presents, Or I may just sit in the sun with a brew , sit long enough and the animals appear, I marvel at my surroundings and how its been created.Sometimes the cat comes with me , like the dogs we dont need to speak.
If I'm trapped indoors then its a good light book , one I have read many many times ( about a dog and his squaddie ) or as I have at the bed side at the moment "Feather Reports " by Derwent May (1996), just something to distract me from the real world if needs be.
Meds were kicked into touch years ago.

We will all have our own ways, its just finding the right path to take.

1. Depression IS numbness, it doesn't need numbing any more.
Fair point, but was glad to get to a feeling of numbness as opposed to feeling that each day would be my last.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
I'm not sure if I've ever been depressed or not, there have been long periods when I've been very unhappy though. Walking home drunk and alone on a rainy night can cause some dark thoughts.

I usually try and get round it by counting the things I should be grateful for.

1. I'm alive, that's always better than not.
2. I live in a rich Western county, I can't starve to death and it's unlikely I'll be homeless.
3. I have family and friends.
4. I have hobbies/interests and have things/will organise something to look forward to.
5. I have a cat... You get the idea.

Seeing things from another PoV sometimes helps me too. I remember reading Street Without Joy by Bernard Fall and some poor fker had his legs blown off at Dien Bien Phu, he was trying to crawl 120k to the camp and was left behind. Then there's the countless others who have been left in the jungle like the Chindits etc. Things might be bad but they sure as hell aren't that bad.

I also wonder whether the rise of depression may be a part of our modern living. Work usually involves being stuck at a desk doing utterly meaningless bs on a computer. Being out with nature, where we should be, seems to help a lot. Just like the fishing posts suggest. We've spent thousands of years hunting, telling stories round camp fires and living under the stars. All this 9-5, microwave dinners and open plan office stuff can't be good for you.
I think if you're not sure if you've ever been depressed then chances are you weren't. We're part of the fortunate few.

I've lived with it though, second hand, on a few occasions.

From what I understand, depression isn't about being "sad" or "unhappy". You can be happy, laughing your head off... But your house is a mess. You know you should clean but you can't be bothered. You know it's the easiest thing in the world to wazz the vacuum about but that just makes you feel even worse for not bothering your arrse.

You need people to be there for you but you push them away and feel even worse for doing so. You're always tired / can't sleep no matter how much sleep you get / how long you stay awake for. You think you'd be better off dead. Depressed men often find themselves unable to ejaculated impressively too, which makes them feel less like a man. Especially if they've already grown a pair of bitch-tits.

I'm like you in this sense. Had some proper shite times but always seem to be able to give my head a wobble and realise how lucky I am. The "could be worse" camp, if you like. And the more I've learned about depression over the years, the more I hope it stays that way too.

Interesting you mention " putting one's affairs in order" as if that is somehow wrong.

Putting my affairs in order, just in case, is common courtesy. Very different from the twats who throw themselves in front of a train and cause so much misery to others.

It's oddly reassuring to know that if I decided to take the "coward's way out" I could do it politely, leaving barely a trace.

ugly

LE
I’ve been on Citalopram for a number of years now. This hasn’t prevented me from gaining a shotgun certificate and a firearm certificate for .22 target shooting (I agree with you, it’s very zen) and .308 for deer. I’d suggest having a chat with your FEO...BUT!

I’m in Sussex and they’re fairly pragmatic. Some force areas such as Gloucestershire would possibly have a different approach which might imperil your ticket.

@ugly may be able to comment.
I'm on pain meds for a trapped nerve in my neck without which I cant sleep. Without sleep I cant work.
The pills are amaltryptalene (sp) which are also prescribed as depressants (not in my case) but the local feo knows what they are for and why.
Sussex and Surrey seem to be reasonable about most items looking at the cause not the treatment.
Glos are just bonkers.
The pain can be bloody awful and wakes me up. If I catch myself accidentally say stab a door with my finger tips it can be like an electric shock.
An electric shock from a pen fence is bloody awful. It feels like I've been smashed about by a gorilla.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer

Cheers matey.

As stated I would not do anything so impulsive or horrible for those left behind to pick up the pieces (sometimes literally).

Although I did once know a drummer who threw himself slightly behind a train.

:rofl:

During my darker moments I'll bimble down to the woodland climb one of the high chairs and just watch, watch for anything and everything that nature presents, Or I may just sit in the sun with a brew , sit long enough and the animals appear, I marvel at my surroundings and how its been created.Sometimes the cat comes with me , like the dogs we dont need to speak.
If I'm trapped indoors then its a good light book , one I have read many many times ( about a dog and his squaddie ) or as I have at the bed side at the moment "Feather Reports " by Derwent May (1996), just something to distract me from the real world if needs be.
Meds were kicked into touch years ago.

We will all have our own ways, its just finding the right path to take.
Sitting in a high seat , quietly , for a couple of hours before and after dawn is just so rewarding.
It may result in venison in the larder sometimes, but the times you choose not to pull the trigger are often more memorable.

I'm on pain meds for a trapped nerve in my neck without which I cant sleep. Without sleep I cant work.
The pills are amaltryptalene (sp) which are also prescribed as depressants (not in my case) but the local feo knows what they are for and why.
Sussex and Surrey seem to be reasonable about most items looking at the cause not the treatment.
Glos are just bonkers.
The pain can be bloody awful and wakes me up. If I catch myself accidentally say stab a door with my finger tips it can be like an electric shock.
An electric shock from a pen fence is bloody awful. It feels like I've been smashed about by a gorilla.
Hope things get better soon.

It’s great to read this thread.

Not because of clear and obvious suffering some of you are fighting, but it just goes to shows how far most people have come that we can have a conversation like this and it’s taken seriously.
Or perhaps it's become such a widespread malaise in society that it must be discussed openly.

From what I understand, depression isn't about being "sad" or "unhappy". You can be happy, laughing your head off... But your house is a mess. You know you should clean but you can't be bothered. You know it's the easiest thing in the world to wazz the vacuum about but that just makes you feel even worse for not bothering your arrse.

You need people to be there for you but you push them away and feel even worse for doing so. You're always tired / can't sleep no matter how much sleep you get / how long you stay awake for. You think you'd be better off dead. Depressed men often find themselves unable to ejaculated impressively too, which makes them feel less like a man. Especially if they've already grown a pair of bitch-tits.
^ This.

DTBA

War Hero
I thought about who I appreciated and enjoyed spending time with the most, then spent more time with them. I started attending my Reserve unit more often. This coincided with quitting the fags. I then stopped going into the city on a weekend and read everything on my bookshelf that I hadn't opened. I stopped watching the news, if there's something important happening someone will let me know. Split up with the girlfriend, and then stayed away from internet dating. I also lost two stone. Then I got on as much Reserve stuff as possible. AT, study weeks, exercise, volunteered for all sorts, etc etc. I realised my civvy job was going nowhere so dedicated the minimum to it to get by and started looking elsewhere. I got rid of my expensive car and got a cheaper, more economical one. I cancelled every direct debit I had. Phone paid off. Sky Sports gone. Spotify has gone too. There's another £100 in my pocket every month. Cutting out big nights out and it's another £300 a month, easy.

I'll never say I was depressed. Angry, stressed, tired, annoyed, but rarely sad. I'm fortunate in that I have some very pleasant people in my life who I love very much. But, mentally and physically, I was probably at the limit.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Amitryptiline.

About four years ago the better half fell off his pushbike. Collar bone broken in two places plus several broken ribs. Some on here will have seen the pics of his entire upper body virtually black with bruising.

Fast forward to this year and he's getting tingling "pins and needles" down one arm. Sensible doctor says it is almost certainly due to nerve damage from the accident and prescribes low dose of the above. Within a week or so symptoms improved and apart from some sleepiness he's had no more trouble.

Unfortunately, like the police say: "Anything you say on this thread may be used against you by anyone on ARRSE."

For that reason, I would like to wish everyone good luck, but I'm out.
I'm not that arrsed about what I've posted and I've posted more details than my best mate of 30 odd years knows about. There's been some pretty dark times in the last few years and what I'm doing at the moment seems to be working.

How's the new job at the Samaritans going?

Got a disciplinary on Friday about my Rippy the razor T-Shirt and my choice of music while people are on hold...

Last edited:
Amitryptiline.

About four years ago the better half fell off his pushbike. Collar bone broken in two places plus several broken ribs. Some on here will have seen the pics of his entire upper body virtually black with bruising.

Fast forward to this year and he's getting tingling "pins and needles" down one arm. Sensible doctor says it is almost certainly due to nerve damage from the accident and prescribes low dose of the above. Within a week or so symptoms improved and apart from some sleepiness he's had no more trouble.
Has he had the cervical vertebrae checked out? Had similar symptoms and eventually loss of use of my right arm. Turned out to be collapsed vertebrae from motorbike wuckfittery which was sorted with a fusion.

Latest Threads