Your methods to cope withdepression ?

1. Get some meds prescribed - they provide some sort of stability, even it only numbs the depression
2. Lay off the booze
3. Exercise - I took up running to get a natural endorphin release
4. Therapy - I had a good GP that prescribed some talking therapy /CBT which identified the root cause of the depression
5. Divorce - addressed the my root cause

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
The coming on and off medication one is a biggie. It takes time to work - they used to say at least six weeks for Prozac. So, an immediate "this isn't working" attitude is nonsense and may only help to cement a sense of despair.

Equally, a mate is at the moment going through it with antipsychotics, having had a rather unhealthy long-term relationship with the Colombians. He's keep telling me that he feels absolutely monged out - to which my response (because he's a fairly physical chap) is that you have to treat drugs-based therapy as physio for the brain.

The modern stuff is good and does work.

The point about stress and work is also a good one. If you're not able to delegate, then escalate - go to a superior and make clear what's happening and why you may not be functioning. Better to forestall a problem and a potential disciplinary. That's not cynicism; many employers will look to help rather than not know why they suddenly have a problem employee. Getting rid of someone is a two-way thing. It quite often leaves them a (wo)man down.
At least I've now worked out what "escalate" means... :-(

He went there two or three times, all business trips. All I remember him saying was that Austin was pretty much the "music capital" with some wonderful venues; watching the bats emerging from under the bridge; oh, and the day Texas got an inch of snow! He said that was quite comical.... :-D
I had forgotten about the bats!

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
1. Get some meds prescribed - they provide some sort of stability, even it only numbs the depression
2. Lay off the booze
3. Exercise - I took up running to get a natural endorphin release
4. Therapy - I had a good GP that prescribed some talking therapy /CBT which identified the root cause of the depression
5. Divorce - addressed the my root cause

1. Depression IS numbness, it doesn't need numbing any more.

My problem is almost always the polar opposite so it's important to treat the "dominant" symptoms.

Shooting (rifle, clays and practical shotgun), walking my dog ( he knows, because he’ll sit next to me and drop his head on my knee for an ear tickle), and baking. No booze or drugs, they make it worse

Last edited:

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Unfortunately, like the police say: "Anything you say on this thread may be used against you by anyone on ARRSE."

For that reason, I would like to wish everyone good luck, but I'm out.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
I'm afraid I have to disagree with all these people recommending running...

If you're going to exercise, do free weights, squats, dead lifts etc. Not forgetting the "vanity specials", concentrated bicep curls, chest flies, ab cruncher, lat pull downs.

Post typical cardio workout - body continues to burn calories for up to 30 mins
Post typical weights workout - body continues to burn calories for up to 6 hours.

This is due to the Excess Post-Oxygen Consumption (EPOC) or "afterburn effect".

In other words once your sesh is complete, your body will continue to burn calories during cool-down and recovery, due to the increased amount of oxygen needed to repair damaged muscle tissue, clear out lactic acid, replenish energy etc.

Don't weigh yourself mind - muscle up to 4 times heavier than fat - although you'll certainly look a lot thinner. And if the lighting in the gym changing rooms is on point, you'll see instant results after a good sesh as you're pumped up.

Endorphins-smorphins - if you want those, eat loads of chilli.

Ultimate cheese on toast:

Chunky wholemeal bread, thick sliced. Black Bomber cheese. Under grill until it melts. Dash of Worcester Sauce, press your finger in the cheese to make little pools. Sprinkle a freshly chopped Scotch Bonnet Chilli over the cheese and put back under grill until the cheese bubbles and the Worcester marbles into the cheese.

You can thank me later.

Edited to add:

Don't forget to stretch off - re: the lactic acid thing - think of your muscles like a tea-soaked sponge, you're gonna want to wring that stuff out, right?

Secondly - be very careful if you're going to crack one off with your new-found endorphins. The bell-end is particularly sensitive to Scotch Bonnet Chilli - I speak from experience.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I have to disagree with all these people recommending running...

If you're going to exercise, do free weights, squats, dead lifts etc. Not forgetting the "vanity specials", concentrated bicep curls, chest flies, ab cruncher, lat pull downs.

Post typical cardio workout - body continues to burn calories for up to 30 mins
Post typical weights workout - body continues to burn calories for up to 6 hours.

This is due to the Excess Post-Oxygen Consumption (EPOC) or "afterburn effect".

In other words once your sesh is complete, your body will continue to burn calories during cool-down and recovery, due to the increased amount of oxygen needed to repair damaged muscle tissue, clear out lactic acid, replenish energy etc.

Don't weigh yourself mind - muscle up to 4 times heavier than fat - although you'll certainly look a lot thinner. And if the lighting in the gym changing rooms is on point, you'll see instant results after a good sesh as you're pumped up.

Endorphins-smorphins - if you want those, eat loads of chilli.

Ultimate cheese on toast:

Chunky wholemeal bread, thick sliced. Black bomber chese. Under grill until it melts. Dash of Worcester Sauce, press your finger in the cheese to make little pools. Sprinkle a freshly chopped Scotch Bonnet Chilli over the cheese and put back under grill until the cheese bubbles and the Worcester marbles into the cheese.

You can thank me later.

Edited to add:

Don't forget to stretch off - re: the lactic acid thing - think of your muscles like a tea-soaked sponge, you're gonna want to wring that stuff out, right?

Secondly - be very careful if you're going to crack one off with your new-found endorphins. The bell-end is particularly sensitive to Scotch Bonnet Chilli - I speak from experience.
Funnily enough I was contemplating running as I'm doing the sober October thing, problem is that I'm a chunky little bugger with a right knee knackered from playing Rugby.

My man cave could quite easily be turned into a Gym with a weights bench in it and a mat for sit ups etc.. I think it was Al Capone who said

" look a million dollars and you'll a million dollars, feel a million dollars and you can achieve anything you want".
No booze, I like chillies anyway and smash the weights. ARRSE is going to turn me into a bronzed Adonis.:)

No booze, I like chillies anyway and smash the weights. ARRSE is going to turn me into a bronzed Adenoid.:)
Fixed...no charge

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Funnily enough I was contemplating running as I'm doing the sober October thing, problem is that I'm a chunky little bugger with a right knee knackered from playing Rugby.

My man cave could quite easily be turned into a Gym with a weights bench in it and a mat for sit ups etc.. I think it was Al Capone who said

" look a million dollars and you'll a million dollars, feel a million dollars and you can achieve anything you want".
No booze, I like chillies anyway and smash the weights. ARRSE is going to turn me into a bronzed Adonis.:)
I too have f**ked knees. They don't prevent me from running, but certainly squats and lunging.

I also pay £46 a month for my gym membership (actually it's a health club with access to all facilities, swimming pool, Jacuzzi, steam room, sauna, tennis courts, classes etc, but I only use the gym & pool).

The logic behind it being, at that price I'm loathed to not waste it - so even when I'm having a particularly busy day, I'll still make the effort to nip in there and try to get my money's worth.

Try to work your muscle groups in pairs too, i.e. 3 x 10 bicep curls - followed by 3 x 10 tricep dips. 3 x 10 leg raises, followed by 3 x 10 dorsal raises etc.

One sure-fire, 100%, fool-proof, guaranteed method of making sure you're making progress? About 1-2 days after your arms / chest / stomach etc will be in bits. By day 3-4 you're ready to go again.

Forget about weighing yourself. Ever. And forget about checking the mirror. It's like brushing your teeth, twice a day for two minutes does nothing right? Nothing you can see anyway. But over a period of time it makes all the difference.

One important point; you can't out-train a bad diet. One thing I found very hard in the early stages was eating what I needed and not what I wanted. Breakfast biscuits in the morning, tuna salad for lunch with a cereal bar, two pieces of fruit and a packet of Sunbites. And a sandwich in the evening. Every weeknight for the last 18 months and counting. Eat what you like at the weekend. Eventually you'll get to a stage where you just cannot eat anywhere near what you used to. Less carbs, more protein. Your body can't store protein either so save the steak / fish for about 30 mins post workout to help feed and repair the torn muscle fibres.

The other important point is for it not to feel like a punishment. Change one small thing at a time rather than go full-tilt. 3 months later, change something else. Then another 3 months later etc etc.

I used to miss having a cold beer in the summer weekday evenings, so I bought some Becks Blue. The difference being I didn't wake up at 3am for an "old man pi$$" and have a groggy head next morning. Three months later I switched it up again for orange juice. Another three months and Instead of 1,000-calorie fish and chips every Friday I now have corn chips (150 calories) with melted cheese (400 calories) & jalapeno (25 calories) over them. Or sausage sandwich with melted cheese (500 calories). Most recently I swapped the mayo for ultra light and Canderel for sugar.

Oh and if you want to lose about a stone in one weekend, get one of those microwave chicken burgers that has gone out of date and put lead around your toilet in preparation.

Long post, but hopefully some of you will find it useful...

Last edited:

kimmi851

Old-Salt
Hiya Kimmi, I'd love to finish the book I've been trying to read for the last month or so. I eve set aside an hour on my daily " to do" list for that purpose. I dare not risk it in case ibfall into a deep sleep, wake at some stupid hour in the evening , disorientated and panicking, then spend the rest of the night wide awake!
This does not sound the ideal book to lose yourself in to start with. Sorry to hear you are having a terrible time. Why not try a slightly less tricky to get into book? I can definitely recommend John Winton or George MacDonald Fraser for the easier reading, even if you have already read them. If all else fails and you still find yourself struggling - at least bitter experience has told me that you can get a nice freezer defrosting in, 3 batches of cakes and biscuits made, 2 overdue letters written and a rabbit groomed per night.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
This does not sound the ideal book to lose yourself in to start with. Sorry to hear you are having a terrible time. Why not try a slightly less tricky to get into book? I can definitely recommend John Winton or George MacDonald Fraser for the easier reading, even if you have already read them. If all else fails and you still find yourself struggling - at least bitter experience has told me that you can get a nice freezer defrosting in, 3 batches of cakes and biscuits made, 2 overdue letters written and a rabbit groomed per night.
Kimmi dear, I think you have missed the point. (You're not alone)

I have a stack of a dozen or so new books all waiting to be read, and all chosen specifically because they interest me.

They will have to wait until I can stay awake long enough to actually do them justice. At the moment I dare not put my feet up with a book because I'd not manage more than a paragraph before I zonked out.

I'm not sure if I've ever been depressed or not, there have been long periods when I've been very unhappy though. Walking home drunk and alone on a rainy night can cause some dark thoughts.

I usually try and get round it by counting the things I should be grateful for.

1. I'm alive, that's always better than not.
2. I live in a rich Western county, I can't starve to death and it's unlikely I'll be homeless.
3. I have family and friends.
4. I have hobbies/interests and have things/will organise something to look forward to.
5. I have a cat... You get the idea.

Seeing things from another PoV sometimes helps me too. I remember reading Street Without Joy by Bernard Fall and some poor fker had his legs blown off at Dien Bien Phu, he was trying to crawl 120k to the camp and was left behind. Then there's the countless others who have been left in the jungle like the Chindits etc. Things might be bad but they sure as hell aren't that bad.

I also wonder whether the rise of depression may be a part of our modern living. Work usually involves being stuck at a desk doing utterly meaningless bs on a computer. Being out with nature, where we should be, seems to help a lot. Just like the fishing posts suggest. We've spent thousands of years hunting, telling stories round camp fires and living under the stars. All this 9-5, microwave dinners and open plan office stuff can't be good for you.

kimmi851

Old-Salt
Next time you need a Dancing Ledge 'fix' drop me a pm. It is one of my favourite places to go - wait for it - flyfishing !
On Spring tides when you can get down onto the lowest level it is just perfect.

And finish the day with a pint of Charleys homemade cider at the Square and Compass nearby ( best Pub in the world ).

Hows that for a stress-free, uplifting type of day ?
Thank you for the invitation, I will definitely take you up on part of that. Though fish and I have come to an agreement, I only touch fish when it comes from The Fish Plaice in Swanage and then they wont tell the crabs, lobsters and shrimp where I am so they can get me (weird phobia issues with crustaceans - Haslemere Museum with its Japanese Spider Crab was an experience which has my daughter laughing to this day).

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Try and think military and divide all tasks into phases,as you tick off each phase allow yourself a metaphorical pat on the back.

Bob Upndown

War Hero
I suffer probably from "mild depression" - never been on meds, but feel the world is closing in on me at times. I have spoken to a counsellor on a few occasions and this has helped in the short term but I find the best thing is just to talk. My wife has lived with me now for nearly 30 years and she recognises the symptoms fairly quickly now and makes me sit and tell her what the problem(s) is and I have found this helps, it may not get rid of the overall feeling but it has certainly reduced the length of time I now spend in "one of my moods". Like others on this thread I enjoy a bimble at nights even if it only around my local area. Just getting out in the fresh air and away from the office helps enormously, at least in my situation.

quick question. I do a bit of target shooting as a sport and I find this helps as well as I require total concentration when I am doing it plus there is a limited social side which helps. If I go to my GP and ask for help with my "condition" are they duty bound to alert the police or fill in the relevant section in my FAC application. I would hate to lose my hobby and because of this I have never approached my GP. Any advice or help would be gratefully accepted.
I’ve been on Citalopram for a number of years now. This hasn’t prevented me from gaining a shotgun certificate and a firearm certificate for .22 target shooting (I agree with you, it’s very zen) and .308 for deer. I’d suggest having a chat with your FEO...BUT!

I’m in Sussex and they’re fairly pragmatic. Some force areas such as Gloucestershire would possibly have a different approach which might imperil your ticket.

@ugly may be able to comment.

MortonSlumber

Old-Salt
Supportive family & friends, the right medication, a supportive GP and not telling work.
As soon as you say you have a mental health issue however pc a company is it goes against you.
Society still see it as a weakness or that you can not do the job.

If I got £1 for every ex military friend who said I was weak or should pull myself together I would be very rich.

But with depression I passed SC & DV, twice in the civil service & trained to play to handle all ADR Class 1 Goods.
That with armoury training & I passed 2 Medicals prior to DV, in fact I was probably more sane than most I worked with, both Regular & NRPS/FTRS soldiers & officers.

It’s great to read this thread.

Not because of clear and obvious suffering some of you are fighting, but it just goes to shows how far most people have come that we can have a conversation like this and it’s taken seriously.

Latest Threads