Your mental health during the Coronavirus crisis

Entering week 2 of working from home in a town where most of my colleagues are based elsewhere.

Finding it a challenge as the little things that kept me active and engaged around the work are now gone and it's just a mind numbing slog.

Getting out each day for an hour's walk though, so that's something. Ideally, I'd have just gone and stayed with family for the long hall but was worried about having an impact on their health as they too are in the at risk category.

Just talk to people and remember to ask your mates and such how they are doing on a regular basis. Makes a huge difference to see or hear a friendly face.

Not looking forward to however long this thing has to go on.

crusader80

Swinger
That's an interesting way of looking at it. Is that what you feel is happening?
A form of penance in some way being in Lent and Christs temptation in some cases all at once: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’ nullifying deaths power. Food is necessary and good my own take on this is when you walk past a bakery and your senses stir memories and the body remembers that freshness yet your not hungry. Flesh trying to overcome will.

Fasting is never easy and you give yourself permission to eat or retake up whatever you wanted to give up during this time A retreat aids us Eve saw that is was good and desired it. Adam was made not begotten Eve being from Adam flesh of my flesh a mate in this mystery Adam did not tell eve all that our creator had said fully and eve engaged with the tempter curiosity Christs reply was not a dialogue He rejoiced in the word of his Father (Trusted) That trust fed Him and strengthened Him ..

The second was more subtle already hungry and weak being human because of the days in fasting
“If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written: “‘He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

The pressure to seek relief from trial and the tempter knew these words well from psalm91 yet never quoted it fully for it was an exorcism prayer and that full psalm91 is very relevent right now. and Christs word a house devide by itself will not stand so in essence what he sought he wanted Christ seperated from His Father by putting on a show publicly and regaling in the applause. Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.

Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.” Here he did own and still controls mankinds ways for he is far greater than any human in both intellect and subtlety.

Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.

Here remember St Paul's struggle when he realised and cried out against the thorn in the flesh. We also need to seek Christ and listen in the struggles we have seeking the Grace and building up upon Grace. It is different for each of us what failings we have an struggles that is why prayer is important for everyone. Hope this has some resonance.

A form of penance in some way being in Lent and Christs temptation in some cases all at once: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’ nullifying deaths power. Food is necessary and good my own take on this is when you walk past a bakery and your senses stir memories and the body remembers that freshness yet your not hungry. Flesh trying to overcome will.

Fasting is never easy and you give yourself permission to eat or retake up whatever you wanted to give up during this time A retreat aids us Eve saw that is was good and desired it. Adam was made not begotten Eve being from Adam flesh of my flesh a mate in this mystery Adam did not tell eve all that our creator had said fully and eve engaged with the tempter curiosity Christs reply was not a dialogue He rejoiced in the word of his Father (Trusted) That trust fed Him and strengthened Him ..

The second was more subtle already hungry and weak being human because of the days in fasting
“If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written: “‘He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

The pressure to seek relief from trial and the tempter knew these words well from psalm91 yet never quoted it fully for it was an exorcism prayer and that full psalm91 is very relevent right now. and Christs word a house devide by itself will not stand so in essence what he sought he wanted Christ seperated from His Father by putting on a show publicly and regaling in the applause. Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.

Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.” Here he did own and still controls mankinds ways for he is far greater than any human in both intellect and subtlety.

Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.

Here remember St Paul's struggle when he realised and cried out against the thorn in the flesh. We also need to seek Christ and listen in the struggles we have seeking the Grace and building up upon Grace. It is different for each of us what failings we have an struggles that is why prayer is important for everyone. Hope this has some resonance.

It does, and thank you for grounding me in this.

The situation we have now is unprecedented. In the past, we got through national crises by working together as communities, by going out there and doing what needed to be done - Britain is known for its collective stoicism and resilience, for finding strength in each others' dark humour.
There is no other way for us to survive, and that's why we find stronger communities wherever life is hard. The way of death is 'every man for himself'.

Every period of hardship and trial (signified by 40 days) in the Bible was a precursor to the discovery of a new and much better way of life, a new and much better world. Likewise, the same will be true for the current crisis. Many of us won't be around to see this new world, but it'll be there.
This is what we celebrate every Easter.

crusader80

Swinger
Yes: It is what Faith we leave. Easter vigil and Mass readings where at times hard and unlike St Therese and the convent loved putting on passion plays often remarked on trying to be lost in such love.

Well Greta is not happy about things.
View attachment 459773

So be ye of cheer and know that others too are finding this hard.

I was able, while people were killing each other over bog rolls, and having extra items removed from their cart at the checkout for exceeding three of any one product, to fill my COSTCO trolley with a good selection of cases of beer which it appears were not being rationed.

I am now having to practice a degree of self restraint in not finishing all the gems amongst them and making sure all the lesser ones are consumed first.

There is an element of self denial there that I am sure is good for me.
Beer isn't the answer. I've been knocking back the hard stuff from my stockpile - gin, Jaegermeister/Meschershchmit and saki. The absinthe has run out.

Beer isn't the answer. I've been knocking back the hard stuff from my stockpile - gin, Jaegermeister/Meschershchmit and saki. The absinthe has run out.
You must be in a good mood, they say absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

You must be in a good mood, they say absinthe makes the heart grow fonder
Not really. I ran out of the absinthe some time ago. Found a bottle of Amaretto, so will probably finish that in a few hours.
Found three giant unopened bottles of Desperado lying around. They might last until Saturday.

Might do a secret squirrrel run to the local alkie's caravan later. He's a good Church friend, so I might be able to do swaps in a spirit of Christian solidarity.

4(T)

LE

We ommitted to stock up on wine and beer, so we're gradually exploring the back of the sideboard - dust covered bottles that haven't been seen or touched in years. Mostly weird native concoctions brought home as souvenirs, or obscure and revolting liqueurs dumped on us as Christmas presents. In fact I've just found a bottle of Spumanti that i bought on a school trip decades ago. I wonder if its worth anything now that its vintage?

We ommitted to stock up on wine and beer, so we're gradually exploring the back of the sideboard - dust covered bottles that haven't been seen or touched in years. Mostly weird native concoctions brought home as souvenirs, or obscure and revolting liqueurs dumped on us as Christmas presents. In fact I've just found a bottle of Spumanti that i bought on a school trip decades ago. I wonder if its worth anything now that its vintage?
Now is the time to try something new.

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
Bins are a symbol of rampant, unchecked capitalism. Shouting at them is the only thing I can do, since the extreme right-wing majority voted against Jeremy Corbyn.
DaManBugs walt

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Are you mental? Pigeons always deserve it!
Rather than shout at pigeons, shoot* them under the General Licence conditions then eat them :)

* Unless you live in a town, whereupon going for an armed ramble tends to excite the local firearms polis.

Did we ask you to come knocking on our e-door? Now off to your virtual Kingdom Hall with all the other god-botherers Mr. J. Witness.

FakeSheikh2

Old-Salt
Doc contacted the wife by phone, she is on low dose of citralpram? but helps her sleep.
Poor thing had a melt down in sainsburys the other night, tempted to either cough or sneeze and see the shop empty?

Rather than shout at pigeons, shoot* them under the General Licence conditions then eat them :)

* Unless you live in a town, whereupon going for an armed ramble tends to excite the local firearms polis.
Yep. I live in a town. If I tried eating my local pigeons, I can't help but suspect coronavirus would be the least of my problems.

So far this week, I've been doing and feeling pretty good.

Got a fair amount of work done, had some rather entertaining telecons with my team that have lightened the mood.

Certainly proving that the business of defence CAN continue given a combination of the right IT support and a well trained and cohesive team who get along with eachother.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
So far this week, I've been doing and feeling pretty good.

Got a fair amount of work done, had some rather entertaining telecons with my team that have lightened the mood.

Certainly proving that the business of defence CAN continue given a combination of the right IT support and a well trained and cohesive team who get along with eachother.
You've had better luck than us then. We couldn't even get a work mobile even though we run a helpdesk :) Not a priority user apparently.

Doc contacted the wife by phone, she is on low dose of citralpram? but helps her sleep.
Poor thing had a melt down in sainsburys the other night, tempted to either cough or sneeze and see the shop empty?
I didn't know Citalopram did anything at a low dose. I might need to go cold turkey on that, depending on the situation tomorrow, and it wouldn't be nice.

On the plus side, I have a large enough stockpile of the other stuff to keep my heart working reasonably well for another few months.

I wholeheartedly get, and support, the need for social distancing, but 'confinement to barracks', for weeks or potentially months, isn't going to do a lot of people's mental state any good, and the 'popping of corks' when eventually lifted could be spectacularly excessive. Does Derbyshire Police not have anything better to do with their toys?

'Derbyshire Police have tweeted a menacing video warning the public to stay away from the Peak District during the coronavirus lockdown. The video shows police drone footage of unsuspecting members of the public hiking, walking their dogs and watching the sunset. All totally harmless behaviour, which is now deemed ‘non-essential’ – and by implication illegal – by the authorities.

'If social distancing must be enforced, it should be enforced with proportion, common sense and empathy. It is not at all clear that the police can be trusted to do this.'

I wholeheartedly get, and support, the need for social distancing, but 'confinement to barracks' for weeks or potentially months, isn't going to do a lot of people's mental state any good, and the 'popping of corks' when eventually lifted could be spectacularly excessive. Do Derbyshire Police not have anything better to do with their toys?

'Derbyshire Police have tweeted a menacing video warning the public to stay away from the Peak District during the coronavirus lockdown. The video shows police drone footage of unsuspecting members of the public hiking, walking their dogs and watching the sunset. All totally harmless behaviour, which is now deemed ‘non-essential’ – and by implication illegal – by the authorities.'

There is another article on Spiked discussing the potential mental health implications. It discusses this in the context of the elderly, but is applicable to millions of us:

Latest Threads